Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR UA terminal - Discounted/free food/gift with Chase MileagePlus credit cards

Old Jan 9, 17, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, QF Silver, AA Platinum

2 x wonderful dining experiences at Newark today...

1) The dining locations (seated, not quick serve) are offering 20% discount pre tax/gratuity if you have an MP Explorer card. Note you don't need to either have the card or use that to pay - I entered my MP number and the iPad ordering tablet looked it up from there to apply the discount

2) In an even better twist of fate, before I got to even swipe my card, the iPad informed me that as a valuable MPE cardholder they covered my check. Awesome surprise and delight experience. Only wish I'd ordered more!
Old Jan 9, 17, 11:58 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
It's very nice that they have these "surprise & delight" gifts.

What would be even nicer is if they would tell cardholders in advance, so that those who would not have eaten at these locations would have a chance to be rewarded.
Old Jan 9, 17, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by TA View Post
It's very nice that they have these "surprise & delight" gifts.

What would be even nicer is if they would tell cardholders in advance, so that those who would not have eaten at these locations would have a chance to be rewarded.
...And cause a mass rush to the feeding trough.
Old Jan 9, 17, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
This happened to me as well last time I ate at an OTG spot in Terminal C. Was a nice surprise, although I don't expect it to happen again anytime soon...
Old Jan 10, 17, 1:47 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Meola10 View Post
...And cause a mass rush to the feeding trough.
Well, they could still target it to individuals, just in advance, so it wouldn't be a mass offering.
Old Jan 10, 17, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TA View Post
Well, they could still target it to individuals, just in advance, so it wouldn't be a mass offering.
Individuals like how many ? Unless you forgot the power of social media nowadays. There are bloggers that have a team of people search for travel deals on a daily basis, that include former frequent posters UA FTer gleff, Lucky, etc. And if the news get to TPG, then the secret is essentially over.
Old Jan 10, 17, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
Individuals like how many ? Unless you forgot the power of social media nowadays. There are bloggers that have a team of people search for travel deals on a daily basis, that include former frequent posters UA FTer gleff, Lucky, etc. And if the news get to TPG, then the secret is essentially over.
its not that difficult.

Could definitelty be based on card # or MP #. Only when you put in your MP# or pay with your card will the system give you the promotional value or free meal. If you don't have that, then you can't use it.

Much like the MP promotions that get posted here, that are targeted, and when those not eligible try to register, they get a message to that effect. TPG or whoever wants can promote it to death, but will still not help those not eligible.
Old Jan 10, 17, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
its not that difficult.

Could definitelty be based on card # or MP #. Only when you put in your MP# or pay with your card will the system give you the promotional value or free meal. If you don't have that, then you can't use it.

Much like the MP promotions that get posted here, that are targeted, and when those not eligible try to register, they get a message to that effect. TPG or whoever wants can promote it to death, but will still not help those not eligible.
Most of the times that even if it is targeted, there are ways to work around, like the polaris road show event.
Old Jan 10, 17, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'd much rather pay for the pre-OTG options at EWR than have a chance at a freebie at the OTG places.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 17, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dis, IHG Gold.
Just a check in that this is still ongoing, as I just got my check comped today. Also, I second the dismal opinion of the OTG experience.

Also, I don't know if this is new since the OP, but it's useful to note that the the discount apparently applies to primary cardholders only.

Last edited by JShLin; Jan 18, 17 at 8:31 am
Old Jan 18, 17, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by endrond View Post
I'd much rather pay for the pre-OTG options at EWR than have a chance at a freebie at the OTG places.
...and use my Citi Costco Visa (3% back).
Old Feb 9, 17, 5:49 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold
Thanks for dinner Oscar!

I ordered a nice meal and a lovely red wine from one of the restaurants where you order via the iPad in EWR. Upon checkout, I got a message, "Thank you for being one of our most loyal MileagePlus Cardmembers. As a token of our appreciation we have paid the bill for your meal today, including your selected gratuity."

What a wonderful surprise! Anyone else have this experience?
Old Feb 9, 17, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by thebreezytraveler View Post
I ordered a nice meal and a lovely red wine from one of the restaurants where you order via the iPad in EWR. Upon checkout, I got a message, "Thank you for being one of our most loyal MileagePlus Cardmembers. As a token of our appreciation we have paid the bill for your meal today, including your selected gratuity."

What a wonderful surprise! Anyone else have this experience?

No no such luck for me. Same crew meal deduction as ever for my crew meal on my last pay stub😜

FAB
Old Feb 9, 17, 6:43 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott TE, National EE, Hertz PC, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
I've had this happen at EWR
Old Feb 9, 17, 6:43 am

Who "paid" the bill-UA or the credit card company?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: