Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page > [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2017]

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2017]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 27, 17, 12:34 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 8, 17, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Fairmont PC Premier; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz PC
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2017]

Didn't see a 2017 version of this thread yet, so figured I'd make a first posting...

I have a schedule change that is just a timing issue (10 minutes), so the 1K hotline didn't let me try to change my AMS-EWR routing to AMD-IAD-EWR (AMS-IAD still has R9 availability). Wanted to gauge people's opinions on if they think upfaring to W is worth it for AMS-EWR on April 16 and applying a GPU. P9 PN9 showing, only 2 seats outside of the rest seat currently booked. Not sure how many people will spring for P fare that is ~$1200 above lowest Y fare available.
Old Jan 8, 17, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Wanted to gauge people's opinions on if they think upfaring to W is worth it for AMS-EWR on April 16 and applying a GPU. P9 PN9 showing, only 2 seats outside of the rest seat currently booked. Not sure how many people will spring for P fare that is ~$1200 above lowest Y fare available.
What's the W premium?

Too far out to say with any confidence but obviously PN9 is a positive.
Old Jan 8, 17, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
What's the W premium?

It appears to be ~$380. Might as well get the PQD and burn off the GPUs vs. using copay + miles...of course the upfare is nonrefundable if it does not clear. Both my wife and I are 1Ks, and I would think a Sunday flight back on what isn't(?) as heavy a business route would be a positive.

ETA: Bird is a 2-class 763.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Jan 8, 17 at 12:51 pm
Old Jan 8, 17, 4:56 pm

Programs: Unitek 1k, Southwest ALP/CP, HHonors Diamond, Marriot SPG Gold
SFO-SIN clear probability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstang24
Hi, First time post. Looking to utilize my 2 remaining GPU's before they expire 1-31-17 (I've already extended 2 through April).

Departure Airport: DEN or COS (could depart PHX Sunday Jan 22, with return to COS or DEN)
Miles Needed: Not too important, but as many as possible.
Required Spend or Budget: $500-800
Available Travel Dates: Jan 23- Jan 28
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Only United or ANA/LF GPU confirmed upgrade.

I've found an itinerary that's in W for PHX-SFO-SIN, SIN-SFO-DEN-COS. The only legs I care about the GPU clearing is between SFO & SIN. Jan 22 - Jan 25.

I've never used a GPU before, so I'm looking for guideance on likelihood of clearing. Can someone give me some thoughts? SFO-SIN has J=9 and 24 seats showing unselected. SIN-SFO shows J-9 and 19 seats unselected. It's only 2 weeks out, so I'm hoping the probability is high... 1K status.

Many thanks!
Old Jan 8, 17, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, .6K MM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
GPU upgrade change on EWR-DEL

I have a trip to DEL in February. What are the chances for an GPU upgrade?
Old Jan 8, 17, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Low. Better if you're GS.
Old Jan 8, 17, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

What's the W premium?

It turned out to be only $214, so now I'm on the upgrade list and trying my luck...
Old Jan 9, 17, 2:51 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver (MM), Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, IHG Plat. Always somewhere, never anywhere...
Originally Posted by dstang24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstang24
Hi, First time post. Looking to utilize my 2 remaining GPU's before they expire 1-31-17 (I've already extended 2 through April).

Departure Airport: DEN or COS (could depart PHX Sunday Jan 22, with return to COS or DEN)
Miles Needed: Not too important, but as many as possible.
Required Spend or Budget: $500-800
Available Travel Dates: Jan 23- Jan 28
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Only United or ANA/LF GPU confirmed upgrade.

I've found an itinerary that's in W for PHX-SFO-SIN, SIN-SFO-DEN-COS. The only legs I care about the GPU clearing is between SFO & SIN. Jan 22 - Jan 25.

I've never used a GPU before, so I'm looking for guideance on likelihood of clearing. Can someone give me some thoughts? SFO-SIN has J=9 and 24 seats showing unselected. SIN-SFO shows J-9 and 19 seats unselected. It's only 2 weeks out, so I'm hoping the probability is high... 1K status.

Many thanks!
SIN/SFO is likely the worst upgrade possibility in the entire UA network. I would not hold my breath. If you can route via HKG you might have a slightly better chance.

Good luck and let us know what you decide (buy W fare or not?) and whether you get the upgrade.

-RM
Old Jan 9, 17, 9:45 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Aeroplan, Skymiles, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
SIN/SFO is likely the worst upgrade possibility in the entire UA network. I would not hold my breath. If you can route via HKG you might have a slightly better chance.

Good luck and let us know what you decide (buy W fare or not?) and whether you get the upgrade.

-RM
For reference, I booked Jan 12 SFO-SIN on December 7 in W, waitlisted using a GPU (I am 1K). At the time of booking, there was over 50% of seats showing as available, though not sure how many were just not selected. No R availability at booking.

It's now a few days out and my upgrade hasn't cleared. Only J4 showing now. In the meantime, EWR-HKG-SIN would have cleared (R availability showed up last week, then quickly disappeared). I didn't originally book this because R wasn't available at the time either, and I prefer arriving at 7:45am over 2am. Didn't realize the SFO-SIN has such bad upgrade chances...

I may end up doing a SDC to the EWR-HKG-SIN route, depending on how things look Wednesday. Still prefer not to arrive at 2am, but obviously the chance at an upgrade is a big positive. This is both interesting and frustrating at the same time... especially after paying extra for the W fare, that might just be wasted.

If I'm reading this correctly, 19 people were upgraded on SFO-SIN yesterday (Jan 8)! Maybe there is some hope?!?!

I've been looking periodically, and this does seem to be the exception, as most flights show 1-2 people upgraded.

https://mobile.united.com/FlightStat...FlightNumber=1

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 9, 17 at 2:01 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 19, 17, 11:55 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
R class chances for EWR-SIN-EWR

Looking to buy ticket and use miles and co-pay to upgrade. R class doesn't seem to be available at all.
Any experiences on whether space opens up closer to travel date or is it too full with revenue pax?
Old Jan 19, 17, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anandrag View Post
Looking to buy ticket and use miles and co-pay to upgrade. R class doesn't seem to be available at all.
Any experiences on whether space opens up closer to travel date or is it too full with revenue pax?
via HKG or SFO? SFO is next to impossible, HKG decent odds depending on the particular flights you pick.
Old Jan 19, 17, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
via HKG or SFO? SFO is next to impossible, HKG decent odds depending on the particular flights you pick.
Sorry title was meant to be SFO-SIN-SFO...
Old Jan 19, 17, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry title was meant to be SFO-SIN-SFO...
Forget it. Expect Y on both segments.
Old Jan 19, 17, 12:26 pm

Forget it. Expect Y on both segments.
Ugh. Painfully long flights in Y even if get Y+
Old Jan 19, 17, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ugh. Painfully long flights in Y even if get Y+
The HKG routing not possible? The upgrade HKG-SIN is "free" if EWR-HKG doesn't clear. That routing is also less prone to cancels.

Search this Thread