Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by In The 216
I think the statement you made about most business travel being planned with two weeks of departure is grossly generalized and likely not true. I don't think MOST business travel is planned within 14 days of departure. Some? Of course, most? Probably not.
My observation is that most of the business class cabin fills up within 2-3 weeks of departure. Of course, that may not constitute most of business travel (certainly not most of mine), but that's the relevant business travel.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
My observation is that most of the business class cabin fills up within 2-3 weeks of departure. Of course, that may not constitute most of business travel (certainly not most of mine), but that's the relevant business travel.
Thanks. I probably should have said, “most international business class tickets are purchased within 2 weeks of departure,” and 3 weeks would be even more accurate. What you’re describing is exactly what I’m talking about. That may not be “most business travel,” but it’s the travel that’s revelant to the OP.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
I don’t know much about pricing on US-Australia
It's expensive. Anything better than $2,250 h/r/t and I would feel like I scored.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would refine this further for purposes of this discussion, and say that a relatively empty business class cabin prior to T-21 doesn't necessarily mean it's a good upgrade candidate. This is where the inventory buckets really matter . . . If you see a TPAC booked only 24/48 at T-21, but inventory is Z0 P0, that indicates UA expects strong sales of business class tickets over the last three weeks such that the cabin will fill without discounting, and there's a pretty decent chance their prediction will be accurate.
In The 216 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would refine this further for purposes of this discussion, and say that a relatively empty business class cabin prior to T-21 doesn't necessarily mean it's a good upgrade candidate. This is where the inventory buckets really matter . . . If you see a TPAC booked only 24/48 at T-21, but inventory is Z0 P0, that indicates UA expects strong sales of business class tickets over the last three weeks such that the cabin will fill without discounting, and there's a pretty decent chance their prediction will be accurate.
True, the fare buckets are a valuable sign to watch for inferring loads and expectations of loads. (Reading too quickly with the 24 and 48 numbers in your example, thought at first you meant 21hr instead of 21d, which seemed a bit pessimistic for the upgrade chances. )
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:53 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is essentially my point.

I would also point out that the J cabin filling up closer to departure does not necessarily indicate business travelers making bookings. It can be GPU's clearing, people taking buy-up's, I/IN opening, etc., etc. I flew in R last week (using a GPU) to Europe and back. I did not show up on the upgrade list as cleared on either transatlantic segment, which I found odd as I had always in the recent past.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would also point out that the J cabin filling up closer to departure does not necessarily indicate business travelers making bookings. It can be GPU's clearing, people taking buy-up's, I/IN opening, etc., etc. I flew in R last week (using a GPU) to Europe and back. I did not show up on the upgrade list as cleared on either transatlantic segment, which I found odd as I had always in the recent past.
GPUs that clear in advance on non-CPU routes will not appear on the cleared list. The only ones that show up there are gate upgrades.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Can someone explain to me why a GS with XN + GPU would clear prior to a GS with W + GPU? My Mrs. cleared as such this summer on one TPAC leg (EWR-HKG), and it appears that there are a couple GS XN + GPU that will clear prior to me on my SIN-LAX coming up in a couple weeks....... GS agent was perplexed, but told me to be hopeful in the system that revenues would be cleared prior to awards........
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say that in most of my experiences the J cabin filling up in the weeks before departure is usually not GPUs clearing. And although I'm unsure what percentage of each flight is award travel, I would be surprised if I/IN bookings occupy significant front cabin space on a typical flight. Can't think of too many more etc.'s.

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Can someone explain to me why a GS with XN + GPU would clear prior to a GS with W + GPU? My Mrs. cleared as such this summer on one TPAC leg (EWR-HKG), and it appears that there are a couple GS XN + GPU that will clear prior to me on my SIN-LAX coming up in a couple weeks....... GS agent was perplexed, but told me to be hopeful in the system that revenues would be cleared prior to awards........
What gives you this impression? (Curious; no answers)
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I would say that in most of my experiences the J cabin filling up in the weeks before departure is usually not GPUs clearing. And although I'm unsure what percentage of each flight is award travel, I would be surprised if I/IN bookings occupy significant front cabin space on a typical flight. Can't think of too many more etc.'s.

What gives you this impression? (Curious; no answers)
Conversation with GS agent revealed that there are 4 XN + GPU and 2 W + GPU (my wife and myself). Earlier this year, my wife cleared ahead of me on her XN + GPU while I was booked Q + GPU and cleared several days later. My ticket was booked prior to her XN ticket too... so nothing makes sense about how they queue us up to clear into PN.

I doubt there will end up being a single I/IN on this flight... right now, I'm feeling that if we clear, it will be at the gate given only 15/48 available at this point. GS agent a couple weeks back told me nobody has cleared into PN as of yet, so all confirmed seats are revenue or JN at this point.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Does XN + GPU clear into I/IN or PN? if it clears into any bucket other than R, then there is no telling what bucket opened first for them to clear into...

Last edited by Hipplewm; Nov 28, 2017 at 7:44 pm
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Does XN + GPU clear into I/IN or R? if it clears into any bucket other than R, then there is no telling what bucket opened first for them to clear into...
I would have thought PN?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I would have thought PN?
Sorry, i meant PN, I had R on the brain from searching....

I mean until we know for certain, could just be 2 different fare buckets opening at different times.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, OZ Diamond, SPG Gold
Hi everyone,

Been a long time lurker on this forums but decided to do my first post to get feedback on my upgrade plans for my upcoming flight.

I am a 1K traveling a week from now on 12/6 from IAD - NRT - SIN.
I am on a W fare and my GPU was applied on booking from IAD - NRT, with NRT - SIN on NH.

I would ideally like to travel through LAX (IAD - LAX - SIN) and I've been monitoring the load for UA37 from LAX - SIN on 12/6 with the intention of doing a SDC to IAD - LAX - SIN if R space is released within SDC window.

Here's my conundrum:
If R space does not open up by T-12, should I still SDC and try my luck on the waitlist?

My thinking right now is that if P still remains >5 at T-24 and if the load for economy is relatively light (where getting an entire row in E+ to myself is a possibility, then I should go for the SDC.

What do you guys think?

UA37 LAX - SIN:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T6
  • L3
  • K0
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN7
  • X0

Last edited by bobsim; Nov 28, 2017 at 8:11 pm Reason: formatting
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bobsim
I am a 1K traveling a week from now on 12/6 from IAD - NRT - SIN.
I am on a W fare and my GPU was applied on booking from IAD - NRT, with NRT - SIN on NH.

I would ideally like to travel through LAX (IAD - LAX - SIN) and I've been monitoring the load for UA37 from LAX - SIN on 12/6 with the intention of doing a SDC to IAD - LAX - SIN if R space is released within SDC window.
It's a risky strategy. Technically, SDC is not allowed due to the NH segment, though you may be able to do it if it's booked as a UA codeshare. If you are able to SDC, the odds of open R on LAX-SIN are not great. And waitlisting is not allowed within T-24. Additionally, the odds are that if you can SDC, you're going to be riding in Y IAD-LAX, which is approximately the same length flight as NRT-SIN.

Are you cleared on IAD-NRT? If so, I would not even consider giving that up unless I was able to confirm into R on LAX-SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.