Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2017]

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 20, 18, 4:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Nov 22, 17, 10:58 am

Programs: FB Plat, AS MVP75K, OZ *G, Marriott/SPG Plat
I just used a GPU on a friend SFO-HND. R9 and the biz cabin is pretty empty!! He's flying on Thanksgiving but it's pretty crazy to see on that route.
Old Nov 22, 17, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat View Post
I just used a GPU on a friend SFO-HND. R9 and the biz cabin is pretty empty!! He's flying on Thanksgiving but it's pretty crazy to see on that route.
International routes from the US are very empty on Thanksgiving day when domestic routes are overbooked like crazy. International travel is typically empty and stress-free during this time period. Remind him to get the gel pillow / bedding and to enjoy!
Old Nov 22, 17, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Flying Sat 11/25 on UA451 ORD-LAS. Iím a 1K on an L fare. Usually donít wind up with fare classes this low and Iím used to being CPUd in flights that arenít hub-hub. What are my odds here? Current inventory is F3A3JN3C3D3Z2ZN2P2PN0R0RN0IN0. Seems very low to me like maybe even if I burn an RPU it wonít clear.
Old Nov 22, 17, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, National Car EE
ORD-FRA next Saturday (W fare). A colleague of mine was kind enough to throw a GPU towards this (I'm only Platinum). Outgoing flight looks like this:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C0
  • D0
  • Z0
  • ZN0
  • P0
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
Any chance whatsoever?

The return flight FRA-ORD about 2.5 weeks from now looks a little better:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
I think for the return flight it might clear. But of course I would prefer to be upgraded on the first (outgoing) flight since that is a red eye...
Old Nov 22, 17, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by LordDenton View Post
ORD-FRA next Saturday (W fare).
Iíve done this exact route several times (departing on Saturday). With similar inventory about a week out, my GPUs usually clear on the outbound at T-24 as a 1K, and have never once cleared on the return flights.

Also, a standard recommendation from me: if youíll go to Germany again soon, sign up for the free EasyPass RT program in FRA or MUC airports. Makes clearing immigration a breeze and only takes 20 minutes.

Last edited by getagb; Nov 22, 17 at 10:36 pm
Old Nov 27, 17, 2:33 pm

Chances of clearing SYD to SFO on a Monday (Feb 19th)? I'll use a 1K's GPU but I'll be flying solo with no status:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P0
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
Old Nov 27, 17, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.75MM
Too early to say with certainty but no P is a nasty start. I found Monday impossible when looking for space this fall ex-SYD (presume because it gets business pax in just in time for the start of the workweek).
Old Nov 27, 17, 6:29 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 MM
Waitlist for UG and keep fingers crossed?

I usually NEVER buy international tickets unless I can confirm our UG with GPU at booking. This time we have to fly on fixed dates, and as I can confirm the UG from SYD to SFO, I've elected to buy the tickets and waitlist the upgrade SFO-SYD. Its a Thursday in September 2018, and there are only 2 seats taken in C as of to-day .Do you think this will clear? My fallback is to actually BUY up to C if it looks like it will not clear, but thinking this is about 10 months in advance it should clear? I know SFO-SYD is tough

What do you guys/gals think?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 27, 17 at 9:35 pm Reason: merged into master thread
Old Nov 27, 17, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mmack View Post
I usually NEVER buy international tickets unless I can confirm our UG with GPU at booking. This time we have to fly on fixed dates, and as I can confirm the UG from SYD to SFO, I've elected to buy the tickets and waitlist the upgrade SFO-SYD. Its a Thursday in September 2018, and there are only 2 seats taken in C as of to-day .Do you think this will clear? My fallback is to actually BUY up to C if it looks like it will not clear, but thinking this is about 10 months in advance it should clear? I know SFO-SYD is tough

There is a thread were people discuss GPUs clearing and how far in advanced it cleared.

GPU upgrade SUCCESS 2017

There is also a separate thread where people ask the same question you have "what are my chances".

Old Nov 27, 17, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

Do you want to sit in C for sure?
If so, I would pull the trigger for upfaring to P. Waitlist now, give it 4-5 months, but then I'd seriously starting looking at P fares and buy if the UG doesn't clear.
Old Nov 27, 17, 7:07 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Just pay the money then only stress about getting the best seat.
kittiyut likes this.
Old Nov 27, 17, 7:43 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 MM
Talking

Originally Posted by og View Post
Just pay the money then only stress about getting the best seat.
Ha ha ha
Old Nov 27, 17, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SY, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by kymiller View Post
Chances of clearing SYD to SFO on a Monday (Feb 19th)? I'll use a 1K's GPU but I'll be flying solo with no status:
Date is in shoulder season and at Z9 P0 it's very hard to tell. I'd ballpark about 30%.
Old Nov 27, 17, 8:28 pm

ď10 months in advanceĒ doesnít mean much in this context. It does control your position on the waitlist, vis-a-vis passengers who are in the same fare class as you, but thatís all. Most business travel is planned within about 2 weeks of departure, with the exception of conferences and the like.

I donít know much about pricing on US-Australia, but what I would do is go ahead and keep your waitlist for now and keep an eye on both the load and the price of a P fare. You shouldnít need to pay a change fee to move to business class on the same flight (refer to GG BUYUP if the agent talks about a fee). If a fare sale comes up, go for it; otherwise, Iíd continue to wait. I believe that UA has some 150-day advance purchase P fares; 50- and 30- day fares are also common. So, those are probably your decision points; read the advance purchase rules on the current fare and youíll get an idea of when the price is likely to escalate. (Of course, they can pull a fare at any time, and they can choose to limit P inventory at their leisure ó but youíre already gambling by waitlisting an instrument... )

If youíre feeling lucky ó or if load stays low ó you can take it all the way to the gate with the hope of a buy-up offer. If you search the buy-up thread, I expect youíll be able to find some examples of what those cost (assuming your GPU doesnít look likely to clear, that is).
Old Nov 27, 17, 9:32 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold Plus
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
ď10 months in advanceĒ doesnít mean much in this context. It does control your position on the waitlist, vis-a-vis passengers who are in the same fare class as you, but thatís all. Most business travel is planned within about 2 weeks of departure, with the exception of conferences and the like.

I donít know much about pricing on US-Australia, but what I would do is go ahead and keep your waitlist for now and keep an eye on both the load and the price of a P fare. You shouldnít need to pay a change fee to move to business class on the same flight (refer to GG BUYUP if the agent talks about a fee). If a fare sale comes up, go for it; otherwise, Iíd continue to wait. I believe that UA has some 150-day advance purchase P fares; 50- and 30- day fares are also common. So, those are probably your decision points; read the advance purchase rules on the current fare and youíll get an idea of when the price is likely to escalate. (Of course, they can pull a fare at any time, and they can choose to limit P inventory at their leisure ó but youíre already gambling by waitlisting an instrument... )

If youíre feeling lucky ó or if load stays low ó you can take it all the way to the gate with the hope of a buy-up offer. If you search the buy-up thread, I expect youíll be able to find some examples of what those cost (assuming your GPU doesnít look likely to clear, that is).
I think the statement you made about most business travel being planned with two weeks of departure is grossly generalized and likely not true. I don't think MOST business travel is planned within 14 days of departure. Some? Of course, most? Probably not.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: