Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page > [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2017]

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2017]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 27, 17, 7:34 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 14, 17, 9:36 am

Programs: UA GS 0.8MM UC | *G | Marriott/SPG PP (LT PT) | Hertz PC | SBux Gold | Global Entry / TSA Pre✓
I was just looking at one of my bookings for next week and was clicking through upgrade options, and am seeing now that copays are required in addition to miles.... I haven't seen this before on domestic flights. Is this something new?
Attached Images

Old Nov 14, 17, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
I was just looking at one of my bookings for next week and was clicking through upgrade options, and am seeing now that copays are required in addition to miles.... I haven't seen this before on domestic flights. Is this something new?
It's not new; it's just not supposed to apply to you. The $75 domestic co-pay is waived for all elites. Looks like an IT glitch.
Old Nov 14, 17, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Refugeeist
You're not logged in, so the computer doesn't know there's an applicable co-pay waiver. This happens if you access the reservation directly from the email confirm.
BeeeJay likes this.
Old Nov 14, 17, 9:58 am

Programs: UA GS 0.8MM UC | *G | Marriott/SPG PP (LT PT) | Hertz PC | SBux Gold | Global Entry / TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
You're not logged in, so the computer doesn't know there's an applicable co-pay waiver. This happens if you access the reservation directly from the email confirm.
10-4 .... it went away after I refreshed and logged in.
Old Nov 14, 17, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
Obviously not the case here, but just a minor correction comment, copay applies to domestic NON cpu routes like the premium transcon LAX-EWR etc
Old Nov 14, 17, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by drew in the air View Post
Obviously not the case here, but just a minor correction comment, copay applies to domestic NON cpu routes like the premium transcon LAX-EWR etc
I was just not logged into my MP account when I had the res open. That corrected this immediately.
Old Nov 15, 17, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA
ORD - HKD - ORD

Hi Everyone - first time poster; great stuff here!

My wife and I are going on a Southeast Asia trip with Hong Kong serving as our travel hub. We're flying out in April '18 and back in May '18. I'm 1K on United and she does not have status - we're on the same reservation.

We recently upfared our reservation to W ($1,000 total for both legs) and applied GPUs in the hopes to get bumped up to Business (Polaris). Currently, the expert mode shows the following:

ORD - HKG
F8 FN8 A8 ON0 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 etc.

HKG - ORD
F8 FN8 A7 ON0 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 etc.

I'm not very familiar with how often these clear and the procedures. Any frequent flyers that can give us an estimation for how much hope we should have?

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 17, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.6MM
P9 is a good sign on HKG-ORD; P0 on ORD-HKG is a danger (P is discount J, so P9 suggests UA doesn't think they will sell all the seats to high-paying pax). That said, this far out, most inventory just represents a best guess and is highly volatile. What day of week? Did you look for any routes with open R (so you could confirm immediately)?
Old Nov 15, 17, 5:21 pm

Thanks!

Flying out on a Wednesday, returning on a Thursday. We had to stay somewhat in the same flight date range, but anything +/- 3 days has 0 R availability. Overall, I thought the upfare for $1,000 plus GPU was worth it, since I likely won't have the change to GPU on a 15hr+ again and the regular business class were $8k+.

Any thoughts on potential issues with us being 2 people on the reservation and being jumped by a single person when a spot opens up? Or should that not happen if they have multiple? Can't really split from the wife for an upgrade
Old Nov 15, 17, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmmk View Post
Any thoughts on potential issues with us being 2 people on the reservation and being jumped by a single person when a spot opens up? Or should that not happen if they have multiple? Can't really split from the wife for an upgrade
UA is likely to release R in bunches (if at all), so I wouldn't worry about that. If you haven't cleared by check-in, the PNR will split unless you ask to have the GPUs removed.

ORD-HKG has reasonable upgrade odds. But this far out, it's just not possible to make predictions on a specific flight.
Old Nov 15, 17, 5:35 pm

Patience - definitely my strength I appreciate all the insight, you guys are awesome. I'll make sure to post an update when I hear anything.
Old Nov 15, 17, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by pmmk View Post
Thanks!

Flying out on a Wednesday, returning on a Thursday. We had to stay somewhat in the same flight date range, but anything +/- 3 days has 0 R availability. Overall, I thought the upfare for $1,000 plus GPU was worth it, since I likely won't have the change to GPU on a 15hr+ again and the regular business class were $8k+.

Welcome to FT!

It is definitely possible to be jumped by a single flyer when you have a two-person waitlist in place. I agree with the earlier poster that it probably won't happen, but it could.

If your upgrades do not clear in advance, and you want to eliminate any possibility of being split from your wife on the return flight, you must call UA to remove the upgrades before you check in (and possibly before T-24 -- I forget). Otherwise, your reservation will be split in order to waitlist you both for gate upgrades -- and that split will carry over to your return segment as well, which could then clear separately.

Midweek, I would expect your chances are decent that the upgrade will clear, but it's a long way away. Also, consider whether you'd rather fly nonstop in Y or with a stop in J. You may be able to SDC to a flight with open R on the day of departure (careful -- you can't waitlist an instrument within 24 hours, so it'd have to be space that's already open in R), or a schedule change might come up that moves the flight times enough that you could get a free rebooking if you wanted one.

Good luck!
Old Nov 15, 17, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
Never seen a day when UA operates LAX-HNL-LAX with just 2 F 738s? The 777 operates daily, so at least there are some lie flats in the mix. That 777 redeye is a tough one generally speaking though.
My bad - was thinking LAX-OGG, which was 2 757s and a 767 in 2012 mid-week. Now down to 2 738s usually mid-week.
Old Nov 17, 17, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by asot550 View Post
Currently waitlisted for I ZQN-AKL-SFO-CLE on Jan 18. The load for the AKL-SFO flight is:

J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN3 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X9

The load for SFO-CLE is:

F9 A9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X9

Don't have any status with United, any chance of clearing into I? I'm not as worried about the SFO-CLE leg but would really like it on the AKL-SFO leg.
I've been watching since mid-Oct and loads just changed today to:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN6
  • R3
  • RN3
  • IN0
  • I0
Is this good, bad, or neutral news for clearing as a waitlisted I for 2 pax?
Old Nov 17, 17, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asot550 View Post
Is this good, bad, or neutral news for clearing as a waitlisted I for 2 pax?
R>0 is a positive. R9 would be better.
asot550 likes this.

Search this Thread