Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2017]

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2017]

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 20, 18, 4:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Oct 19, 17, 10:37 am

Looking to fly SFO to SYD end of Feb. Dates are flexible. My wife is 1K and has GPUs. Was thinking of booking a W economy fare and applying GPU. Any tips on best chance to clear? Perhaps other strategies?
Old Oct 19, 17, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by kymiller View Post
Looking to fly SFO to SYD end of Feb. Dates are flexible. My wife is 1K and has GPUs. Was thinking of booking a W economy fare and applying GPU. Any tips on best chance to clear? Perhaps other strategies?
Do NOT fly on the Friday night flight. I've never seen/heard so many upset 1K's together before.

I think you know this, but make sure you book your PNR's together if your wife is 1K and you are not.
Old Oct 19, 17, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
Do NOT fly on the Friday night flight. I've never seen/heard so many upset 1K's together before.

I think you know this, but make sure you book your PNR's together if your wife is 1K and you are not.
Unfortunately I'm flying out there separate from her so no way around separate itinerary. Is it not the case anymore that if a 1K is sponsoring my upgrade my spot on the queue is the same as a 1K? Or does it divert to my status, which is zilch?
Old Oct 19, 17, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM UC | *G | Marriott Ambassador (LT PP) | Hertz PC | SBux Gold | Global Entry / TSA Pre
Unfortunately I'm flying out there separate from her so no way around separate itinerary. Is it not the case anymore that if a 1K is sponsoring my upgrade my spot on the queue is the same as a 1K? Or does it divert to my status, which is zilch?
Status is shared until T=24hr. At that point, you remain on the upgrade list with the GPU, but will be prioritized on the list based on your actual status.
Old Oct 19, 17, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I've heard it both ways, hence I'm not 100% sure. Read the above post.

However, when it comes down to the T-24, airport waitlist, it will divert to your status, which is zilch. And that's a battle you most likely won't win.
Old Oct 19, 17, 11:09 am

Yea looks like the clearing priority is based on the travelers status. I have none so it is probably unlikely I will clear on an instrument upgrade.

It looks like R inventory is never available to assure an instant upgrade either. Is there any tool available to look for routes with R inventory? Used to have the Tampermonkey script but that doesn't work since United changed the website.
Old Oct 19, 17, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM UC | *G | Marriott Ambassador (LT PP) | Hertz PC | SBux Gold | Global Entry / TSA Pre
Yea looks like the clearing priority is based on the travelers status. I have none so it is probably unlikely I will clear on an instrument upgrade.

It looks like R inventory is never available to assure an instant upgrade either. Is there any tool available to look for routes with R inventory? Used to have the Tampermonkey script but that doesn't work since United changed the website.
https://www.expertflyer.com/

Sign up with them and set up your alerts. This is a great way to track R inventory if you are able to book flexible travel plans and in advance.
Old Oct 19, 17, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
https://www.expertflyer.com/

Sign up with them and set up your alerts. This is a great way to track R inventory if you are able to book flexible travel plans and in advance.
Sorry, but Expert Flyer does not display R inventory. EF has many uses, but finding upgrade availability on UA is not one of them.
Old Oct 19, 17, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SY, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Fares and loads are very unlikely to go up a lot in the next three months. Scope out SFO-SYD, SFO-AKL, LAX-SYD, and possibly LAX-MEL and IAH-SYD for all dates that would be acceptable to you. If you want to be fully invested, keep a table of inventory and watch it change day to day. You'll get a sense fairly quickly of the lay of the land, and feel whether or not R will or won't open.

Book into open R if at all possible; otherwise go for the most PN, etc etc. Mon/Tue/Wed are much better shots than other days of the week.

If never on the same PNR, she will have priority according to her status, mixed among all supported upgrades (GM with GPU is behind Silver on miles+cash). This increases the value of snagging open R.
Old Oct 19, 17, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Fares and loads are very unlikely to go up a lot in the next three months. Scope out SFO-SYD, SFO-AKL, LAX-SYD, and possibly LAX-MEL and IAH-SYD for all dates that would be acceptable to you. If you want to be fully invested, keep a table of inventory and watch it change day to day. You'll get a sense fairly quickly of the lay of the land, and feel whether or not R will or won't open.

Book into open R if at all possible; otherwise go for the most PN, etc etc. Mon/Tue/Wed are much better shots than other days of the week.

If never on the same PNR, she will have priority according to her status, mixed among all supported upgrades (GM with GPU is behind Silver on miles+cash). This increases the value of snagging open R.
Great advice. There is quite a bit more R inventory available out of IAH. A bit out of the way but wouldn't mind the extra time in the sky if I'm flying Polaris. Very frustrated with the lack over available R inventory out of SFO or LAx, though :/
Old Oct 19, 17, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SY, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Great advice. There is quite a bit more R inventory available out of IAH. A bit out of the way but wouldn't mind the extra time in the sky if I'm flying Polaris. Very frustrated with the lack over available R inventory out of SFO or LAx, though :/
Yeah, I included IAH-SYD and LAX-MEL in the "possibly" category since they would require a split-ticket connection in IAH or MEL, respectively (actually, looks like SFO-AKL is not a single-ticket option either).

When we were planning an ANZ vacation last year, I had an Excel spreadsheet where I had the number of seats in the lowest inventory class for each of SFO-AKL/SYD and LAX-SYD/MEL for all of 28 days in a 4-week span. I updated it periodically and was able to take available R that we liked. Personally, I find an investment of this time very worth it (turned 4xGPU into a $4,000 discount against a very good paid J price), but ymmv.

And be patient! You have several months to scope out the landscape, and inventory changes frequently.
Old Oct 20, 17, 7:03 am

I used miles to waitlist an upgrade for 2 on tomorrow's 1483 6am EWR-SFO. R is still 0, and J is 7 +1 blocked (it's the 28 seat cabin).

Advice here was to wait to check in and hope that R>2 so that me and my SO clear together, or not at all, since sitting together is more important that the upgrade.

But J seems pretty open, and I've seen between 4-6 clear on the visible waitlist for this flight all last month. With J7, should I still delay check in a bit longer? Or should I take the chance that the cabin is empty enough and that we'll both clear individually?
Old Oct 20, 17, 7:20 am

Programs: UA & VX (and consequently, now AS) Ritz, Marriott, Hilton, etc.
Originally Posted by jerseykeebs View Post
I used miles to waitlist an upgrade for 2 on tomorrow's 1483 6am EWR-SFO. R is still 0, and J is 7 +1 blocked (it's the 28 seat cabin).

Advice here was to wait to check in and hope that R>2 so that me and my SO clear together, or not at all, since sitting together is more important that the upgrade.

But J seems pretty open, and I've seen between 4-6 clear on the visible waitlist for this flight all last month. With J7, should I still delay check in a bit longer? Or should I take the chance that the cabin is empty enough and that we'll both clear individually?
I'd actually be surprised if R opens in advance, whether for 1 or even more so 2. It'll likely come down to the gate and will depend on how many TOD's for $299 they can sell and obviously what your status and those of the others on the standby list are.

There's 2 on the J standby list showing now with it currently at 20 of 28 booked.
Old Oct 20, 17, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by jerseykeebs View Post
It's basically just a guess at this point how this will play. The early Saturday morning flight should be decent odds, and the fact that there are only three on the waitlist so far is also a positive.

If the priority is sitting together, waiting to check in is always the safer strategy. Though it obviously reduces upgrade odds.
Old Oct 20, 17, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
I'd actually be surprised if R opens in advance, whether for 1 or even more so 2. It'll likely come down to the gate and will depend on how many TOD's for $299 they can sell and obviously what your status and those of the others on the standby list are.

There's 2 on the J standby list showing now with it currently at 20 of 28 booked.
So if I check in and stay on the wait list until the gate, would I have the ability to check back (like through the app) to try and find that $299 TOD? Or is that only available once during the OLCI? We have no status on an S fare so I have little hope beyond hoping J stays 7 for the next 18 hours lol

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: