Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GVA--flying Polaris but told I cannot use Polaris/1K line

Old Jan 8, 17, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

Just got to the Swiss lounge at GVA finally!

Got to the United check-in area and saw three lines: the general, premier access, and 1K/Polaris. I am Gold but flying Polaris so move to the Polaris line, which is empty. Wait there for 30 minutes while I see the general and premier lines help about 10-15 people. No one has even looked in my direction. Finally I decided to walk up when an agent finishes and he asks for my boarding pass. He says "you are gold, you must go to the back of the line for premier access." I said "But I am flying Polaris, isn't this the Polaris/1K line?" He says "No this is the 1K line and you are gold." Thankfully a manager happened to overhear this and she told him "he is flying business so he can use that line." The agent once again said "but he is gold, he just cut in front of these other premier members."

Am I wrong to be frustrated with this agent's lack of understanding that a Gold member flying Polaris can use the Polaris line? And also the fact that the Polaris line helped 1 person in 30 minutes while the other lines were sometimes even completely empty?
Old Jan 8, 17, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG View Post
Just got to the Swiss lounge at GVA finally!

Got to the United check-in area and saw three lines: the general, premier access, and 1K/Polaris. I am Gold but flying Polaris so move to the Polaris line, which is empty. Wait there for 30 minutes while I see the general and premier lines help about 10-15 people. No one has even looked in my direction. Finally I decided to walk up when an agent finishes and he asks for my boarding pass. He says "you are gold, you must go to the back of the line for premier access." I said "But I am flying Polaris, isn't this the Polaris/1K line?" He says "No this is the 1K line and you are gold." Thankfully a manager happened to overhear this and she told him "he is flying business so he can use that line." The agent once again said "but he is gold, he just cut in front of these other premier members."

Am I wrong to be frustrated with this agent's lack of understanding that a Gold member flying Polaris can use the Polaris line? And also the fact that the Polaris line helped 1 person in 30 minutes while the other lines were sometimes even completely empty?
Please write this up with customer care - the agent was completely wrong, and the fact they argued with a manager is even more troubling. Sounds completely clueless, and worse, can't even connect the dots in a logical way. Anyone flying Polaris can use the Polaris line - their status is irrelevant, they don't even need to be a MP member!
Old Jan 8, 17, 1:02 am

But why did you stand like a wally for a whole 30mins in a queue no one was serving rather than just move to the 'completely empty' one they were serving?
Old Jan 8, 17, 1:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
... Am I wrong to be frustrated with this agent's lack of understanding that a Gold member flying Polaris can use the Polaris line? ....
Yes, the agent was wrong but the manager corrected the situation and hopefully will follow up again in a more private environment. Its early in the new protocols and the manager needs to "re-train" the rouge agent.

While it should have not happened in the first place, what more do you want to happen?
Old Jan 8, 17, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
But why did you stand like a wally for a whole 30mins in a queue no one was serving rather than just move to the 'completely empty' one they were serving?
Yeah definitely could have been faster but my point is that it was bad customer service for Polaris
Old Jan 8, 17, 1:14 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Prince of Pastry, Chick-fil-A Silver
My number one pet peeve is German/Swiss employees who either are wrong or enforce the rules in a rude way.
Old Jan 8, 17, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
Frustrated, yes, definitely you should be.

If it makes you feel any better, my guess: In Switzerland, this agent isn't going to last very long if he a) is ignoring the rules, but especially b) argues with his manager, especially in plain view of customers.
Old Jan 8, 17, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
My number one pet peeve is German/Swiss employees who either are wrong or enforce the rules in a rude way.
it was GVA so a "Frenchie" not a real Swiss. The Swiss and Germans are typivpcally polar opposites on the "polite" scale...
Old Jan 8, 17, 7:16 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
Right. Because that never happens with US employees.
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 8, 17, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Wait there for 30 minutes while I see the general and premier lines help about 10-15 people.
why if I may ask did you wait for 30 mins? I usually give them 5 mins then I step in front of someone else if they fail to service the 1K line.
JVPhoto likes this.
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
why if I may ask did you wait for 30 mins? I usually give them 5 mins then I step in front of someone else if they fail to service the 1K line.
I wasn't there.

But...

Usually when people say they waited 30 minutes, it's really more like 5. I'm not saying the poster is purposefully exaggerating. We just all tend to misinterpret time when we are waiting.
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For goodness sakes, stuff like this happens all the time and it's just plain old poor training. There is nothing worth a thread or a complaint to UA. If this happened at GVA, I can assure you that the manager dealt with it after OP left, both because the front-line agent was wrong and because the agent argued with the manager in front of a customer.

The whole "Polaris" thing is a bit of silliness and leads to this, but I suppose that UA having chosen to name its cabins so that people think that they are something more special than plain old First or Business, has to spend the time to train its people to deal with the issue.

OP - I do think that if you stood anywhere for 30 minutes, you are being a chump. Either get in the regular check-in line or walk up to a counter and ask why UA is letting its premium passengers wait.
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Axey View Post

This reminds me...the IAD 1K/Polaris line's dragon usually asks "First or Business?" Of course, I have to say No. Then "What are you?". Seems a little more efficient if they said "First, Business or 1K?" I would guess there are more 1Ks departing IAD than First+Business who are not 1K?

Anyway, on Friday, a slow travel day, I got pass the dragon (2 of them) after these questions. 2 agents were so busy yapping on a kiosk a lot further down. So, I checked in on the kiosk closer to the entrance (in the middle) and the bagtag was printed. There were 2 baggage contractors on the other end playing with their phones. No one showed up to tag the bag.

2-3 minutes later, one of the yapping UA agent finally came over form outside the counter and told me to check in at the Kiosk, which I already while they were yapping - the other agent came from the inside and tagged the bag.

What can you do, right?
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:57 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Prince of Pastry, Chick-fil-A Silver
Originally Posted by Axey View Post
I find US employees easier to deal with
Old Jan 8, 17, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I've been through a couple of INTL locations where the person minding the line had a list of passengers which was used to determine if you got through the line. SIN and EZE come to mind.
JVPhoto likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: