Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why I Fly United

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Baze
What I find interesting about your post is that UA status matched you from LH. I always thought you could not status match between *A partners as it was considered poaching.
after your legitimate question I tried to look up my e-mails for the status match ... I really am no longer sure which status I matched ... I had LH Sen, A3 Gold, TK Gold and Flying Blue Plat. back in the day ... maybe the latter was the "status matcher" ...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I had a ticket from DC to Chicago on ValuJet over Memorial Day weekend for a family wedding in 1996. Remember the May 1996 Everglades disaster? My dad insisted I not fly ValuJet after that crash.

Well, it was a holiday weekend and this was two weeks out. I hit the phones (this was still pre-Internet travel bookings) and was being quoted fares like $800, $1100....though my dad said he'd pay I knew it would be a huge financial burden for him and was considering not coming, as painful as it was to miss the wedding.

Then I called Continental. The kindest, most personable agent answered the phone. I held my breath and waited for him to quote a ridiculously expensive fare. I remember him saying something like $180, to which I exclaimed "Are you kidding me?" and then blurted out my whole story: how it's a family wedding and the ValuJet tragedy occurred, how the fares at AA and elsewhere where so high, how he saved the wedding for me, and thanked him wholeheartedly for making my day. He was so warm and pleased that he could help, and then asked if he could sign me up as a Frequent Flier. I knew nothing about the programs back then, but that guy could have sold me just about anything that day.

I did flirt with AA status for a year about 10 years later when I was flying regularly for work but CO/UA ended up meeting my travel needs better, so I focused on UA and learned about the FF system. Plus, I have family in Chicago and live in DC so it just made sense given my travel pattern.

These days I travel to Asia 3-6 times a year, so UA works very well for me. I have had great success upgrading with miles and GPUs. I have had some spectacular FAs, some great ones, some perfunctory FAs, but never any of the super nasty ones I read about here.

I haven't had a lot of IRROPS. The one time I did (sick pax, then the crew timed out), UA Premier Desk took my itin with Fly Dubai and endorsed me over to Air Astana so I could arrive only one day late and not three days later. They did right by me. (And also op-up ed me and my kids to J on a Dubai to Dulles flight, including one kid who was on an award ticket, which was GLORIOUS.)

It's funny how one employee paved the way for me to think of CO/UA fondly and want to stick with them. And it's interesting to see how I'm not the only one with a good employee story that sticks with them. I think Oscar gets this. So I look forward to sticking with UA and seeing how they change under his leadership.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Many moons ago I was 17 and headed to college in the US. My travel agent in HKG said that although SQ was cheaper, UA had this mileage program which would make it worthwhile. That was a tough call, as ever penny mattered to us, but she convinced us to do it. Back then, getting an upgrade as a 2P was pretty much a given on HKG-SFO. I was hooked.

UA has been really good to me ever since, and Star Alliance has only helped. I honeymooned RTW in F on UA, LH, and SQ. I've been the only passenger in F on SFO-HKG-DEL. On the rare occasion (and it has been rare) that my upgrades haven't come through as a 1K, I've had E+.

My kids have had FA's play with them, blow bubbles for them on landing, and always be wonderfully engaged. I'm sure I've had a couple of imperfect experiences, but I barely remember them, because the good outweighs the bad so significantly.

And on top of that, I have incredible faith in the pilots, staff, maintenance crews, and the whole operation. They take my life in their hands for 100-200K miles a year, and return me safe, sound, and contented to my loved ones every time.

I'm one of the happy campers, for sure.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
1. Corporate contract forced me to change from being a lowest-fare personal buyer, and once I hit Premier Exec, it was hard to go back .

2. ORD is the most convenient airport for me.

3. This quote below. I've always felt that UA pilots are the best in the business and for all it's other shortcomings, UA does a fantastic job with training and safety. While everything else is fun to talk about in an online forum, nothing else really matters.

Originally Posted by big V
I had a ticket from DC to Chicago on ValuJet over Memorial Day weekend for a family wedding in 1996. Remember the May 1996 Everglades disaster?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Originally Posted by boat9781
I started flying United (and Continental) back in College. An airline that ferried me between my home base and my now ex-girlfriend's place on the other side of the country, became a fundamental part of my weekly routine and an entrusted brand. It has been several years since those days, but through the good and the bad... Smisek et. all, I stuck with United. Now I'm GS!

What's your United story?
Very similar story. I started flying Continental back in college so I could visit an ex-girlfriend. I remember the day that I got upgraded for the first time, without having any knowledge about status, etc. Since that day, I've been hooked.

I kept flying on CO/UA through college and grad school. I've flown already .5MM lifetime, most of them through international travel for conferences paid by grad school I've been UA Gold for almost 10 years and after 10 years, I finally made 1K.

I want to make 1MM, so I still have a few more years of flying on UA.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:01 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Began in 2000 when I took my first Continental Airlines trip out of CLE to IAH. I stayed loyal to Continental until the end; because the were the most convenient and I liked their service. Stayed true during the merger because I kept feeling it would get better....and it was convenient. Now I stay loyal because I understand the system and the evil you know if better than the evil you don't, as they say. There's also a little bit of Cleveland fan in me with United. You know, the feeling where I can talk trash about United because their my team, but nobody else can. Remember, I am a Browns fan so that should add some context.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Grew up near a CO hub.

Live near a UA hub.

Ability to really rack up the miles on everyday purchases by having both Chase Ultimate Rewards and United MileagePlus Explorer products in one's wallet, enabling cheap transoceanic travel.

Oh and they fly my favorite flight in the world, the Island Hopper.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
The first flight I remember was as a five year old: we flew UA first class from EWR to DTW and I still remember the smell of the plane and that they served blueberry pancakes (my favorite) and bacon for breakfast!

My first job was in Houston, so I flew CO a lot, including starting flights from Houston Hobby, connecting Houston Intercontinental (now Bush)--a real vomit comet (almost straight up and down) to get 500 miles credit! CO crews were always great.

I had a bit of a falling out when I had a job in Denver. I was scheduled to to go New York for a real make or break career meeting in NY and was on a brand new 757 in the early 90's. I was in F and Boeing personnel were on board to assist (including with the FA's). We had two scary take off attempts aborted pretty far down the roll, each followed by an hour on the tarmac while Boeing mechanics tried to figure out the problem (evidently, it was a false reading that the flaps were not properly set). After a four hour delay, our flight was cancelled, I could not get another flight out that night and even though I had status (I forgot which level), there were no allowances for overnight accommodations. Needless to say, I got into a letter writing snit with UA management over what I perceived as a lack of caring or compensation. As a result, even though slightly inconvenient, I went on to rack up almost two million miles on AA.

My current job is in Houston; UA is one of our preferred carriers, and I have been treated exceptionally well for the last ten years or so. After essentially a four year absence/interruption from UA due to a relocation to Louisiana (hello WN and Companion Pass!), I now am back in the fold with UA. Telephonic CS is very well informed and helpful. I find most of the FA's to be great (as well as patient), bearing in mind that everyone has an occasional bad day, but that a smile and respect go a long way and are generally reciprocated (and, quite frankly, travel by its nature is unpredictable). Planes are well-maintained, and the pilots are pros.

I miss the cooked-to-order breakfasts in AA international first class (bacon and eggs over medium, please!), and generous caviar in AA, SQ and LH international first class, but now regret the 2 MM I could have done with UA to approach lifetime GS!

Last edited by BeanTownBoy; Jan 8, 2017 at 8:28 pm
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Being based in SFO, United pretty much has to be my main airline - they are the only carrier which flies nonstop to all my common destinations (and even have pairwise nonstop service between all of them - IMO their biggest strength as an airline is actually having hubs in important US cities). Mileage Plus does its job as a loyalty program. As a 1K, the benefits I get on United push "tossup" type decisions (e.g. DCA-BOS or the slightly less convenient IAD-BOS, but I can CPU from E+ on the UA option) to UA, and I look to use my GPUs on international leisure travel that I would otherwise be a free agent booking paid J on probably foreign carriers.

But I'm always a little surprised by the "things I do out of loyalty" rants. I would never take an inconvenient or unreasonably expensive itinerary just to keep my business on UA. I took maybe 20% of my flying to other airlines last year, primarily when schedule made sense, but also sometimes UA just has uncompetitive prices.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
  • Lounge at Heathrow
  • E+ complementary
  • BG1
  • It's not BA
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I grew up near SFO, but I flew mostly DL to and from BOS all through college, even though it meant connecting in ATL. Flew a lot internationally as a professional singer for the next 15 years, mostly from BOS. Those were on whatever the travel agent booked, though the tours and gigs were frequent enough that I still managed to score a number of FF miles scattered among various airlines. I'll never forget the thrill when I booked my first free int'l round-trip JFK<>PRG using PA miles.

I moved back to SFO in 2007, but it wasn't until I got a job in 2012 that had me traveling to DC every six weeks that I began looking for a "home" airline. VX tempted me at first, but I just happened to have a buddy who was 1K and for whatever reason didn't really care much about riding up front. He started funneling me his RPUs, and I was hooked. Honestly, if it weren't for him I wouldn't have started chasing status.

I'm Platinum now, and once again based in BOS. 80% of my flying is BOS<>SFO, and B6 Mint is looking pretty good. Internationally, I've enjoyed flying *A partners in J, but my husband and I don't need lie-flat seats for leisure trips -- just something in which we're not miserable. With enough legroom and no one else bumping elbows with us, PE really is the sweet spot. I can picture taking my domestic flying to B6 and my int'l leisure flying to Kayak for PE unless UA introduces its own PE product soon.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:49 am

1968 Cle

Took my first United flight in 1968. then joined and had a student 1/2 standby card. Bought UA stock also that year. Joined MP the day it started in 1982.
Now up to 2.1 million miles in MP and 1K for the past 12 years. Joined Red Carpet club in 1987 and have been in the Club every year since. Have flown on every United aircraft type since 1968. Loved the Caravelle (sp?). First flight on 727-100. Did a Dc-6B tour in The Cle hanger in 1964.

Will be heading from GSP to Cle on Wednesday. Am as loyal to Ua and can be.
The future looks good now with Oscar. (favorite since Wolf)

Based in Cle and am Ua fan all the way!!!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by iandm
I fly United and I am 1k for several years now, even though United does not fly to my home airport or even my home country.

When I started flying United I was a Lufthansa Miles & More Senator and I made a status match to United and got 10 times treated better than on any Lufthansa Group flight - back in the day everyone in the German "vielfliegertreff" forum was avoiding flying United in coach TATL because of no free booze or ancient planes I personally do not care much about paying for beer / wine or liquor - if I can afford a several hundred dollar ticket I certainly can afford a few bucks for a drink also when I sat upfront I at least had a lie flat seat unlike Lufthansa which kept those dreadful pitched seats forever. Since my home airport (GRZ) only has good *A hub connections all other alliances or airlines were not really an option.
I would love to have a more advanced IT than United's (e.g. other major US carriers do a better job) but still united is making a 10x better job than Lufthansa and their subsidiaries..

So why united was always a better option:
Free Economy Plus seating ... seriously those few inches make the difference when stuck in coach (everyone on the same PNR)
6 GPUs as 1k
Free exit row seating
3 * 70 pounds bags on my return flights
CPUs when flying domestic (guess what there is no better seating on "European" flights just an empty seat)
a hotline which actually does answer my phone calls in a timely fashion same for 1kvoice e-mail - try that on Lufthansa weeks without replies
zero taxes and fees on award flights compared to usury Lufthansa fees and made up taxes
I really do like Channel 9 (when available) and I am always amazed about the poor English of France and Belgium ATC and I am really thankful and knock on wood when leaving that airspace

so what I do not like about United:
most of my TA issued tickets are not upgradable online - the button is missing
also my itineraries have to many segments so the United webpage or even what is it called again "shares" are unable to handle my itineraries ... always funny
but still the best is when ground staff has to write manual bag labels when I do have too many connections
Pretty much my reasoning, without the status match and the complicated itineraries.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Living near SFO, I love the ability to fly nonstop to all of my frequent destinations except for Milwaukee. I still choose UA despite that VX+DL+AS offer a better product, WN a better FFP, AA better partners. Why?

Part of being part of the FT community has been the opportunity to participate in a few UA Family Days. As the only US airline to do heavy maintenance, conversations with dozens of employees all communicate that they know their work protects family and friends. Simply put, I feel safer on UA.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
I started as a very loyal US Airways flyer then ended up taking some United flights when they were partnered and enjoyed the guarantee of E+ and I must confess I also like chocolate chip cookies. Top that off with star alliance access and it was an easy choice to stay 100% with United when US went off with AmericaWest. Still very happy with the overall star alliance and United especially now as GS for the past couple years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.