Why I Fly United

Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by transportprof
One area where United still leads demonstrably is in Mileage Plus. It offers a lot more than American or Delta's frequent flier programs.
I keep hearing this as a justification for flying United, but really, how true is it? Excepting GS, I think the consensus is that upgrades on DL - since they don't sell TODs like UA does - and AA are more plentiful. All three offer elite care, and I don't think anyone would argue that this is an area where UA excels. Unlike the other programs (AA and DL) UA does not give elite credit for BE fares, and gives no PQD$ for alliance flights, so (unless you blow past the $$$ threasholds on part of your traffic) you are forced to fly UA, DL and AA don't try to force own-metal in the same way.

UA's GPUs are next to impossible to use, and require a W fare. So for someone who wants to (as I would) use them for personal vacation travel, I end up paying more than I otherwise would. AA& DL's global upgrades are good on any fare. I have no idea re the comparative rate of global upgrade success, but on AA & DL you are not paying more to then get hosed.

And as to the ability to use "skypesos" vs. "MileageMinusMiles" or what ever Dougie is calling his miles, there is - at least according to the ONLY study on the issue at this point - no advantage to United, which has CUT its redemption rates.

Last year in the Switchfly survey (out May 2017) . Delta went up to 74.3%, United fell to 65% of searches returning saver award seats, and AA was at 54.3% http://www.ideaworkscompany.com/wp-c...eport-2017.pdf

For contrast, in the 2015 survey, United was at 75%, AA was at 67.1%, and Delta as at 57.9% http://www.ideaworkscompany.com/wp-c...eport-2015.pdf

United's decided to cut reward availability, and I don't think its a fair read to view MP from the pre-2012 redemption options.

p.s. and Yes, I know we can argue about the switchfly methodology, and it does not include J seats, but its the best and ONLY head to head numbers I know of.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA DL QA WX SA KA
I fly United simply because typically they have the routes I want. I do not see a huge difference at all between the Big Three for domestic flights and I have rarely had a bad experience due to personnel. They get me where I need to go and usually at a decent price. Long international flights and I am looking for a foreign airline most of the time but have done enough transpac or European flights to know that I can and will fly a domestic if the times and pricing suit me. It is transportation. I find the airports to be the worst part of travel and seldom dislike an actual flight.

However flying nowadays is just not what it was 40 years ago and the steady erosion of the overall flight experience is common to nearly every carrier. I just don't expect a QR/EK style flight experience. Despite that United has been a part of my flying history and will continue to be.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver
1. Family - My father exclusively flew UA due to his previous employer's contract with UA - he has been 1K for years. So he recommended UA so he could book me award flights / upgrades for me.

2. Hub location - Previously lived in Denver when I started flying more often, which is a UA hub so it also made sense. I'm currently at SFO which is still UA hub, so it continues to make sense.
Back when I was still at DEN, UA was the only non-stop flyer to NRT so that also was huge for me as well.

3. Partners - Star Alliance is the only alliance where both Japanese (NH) and Korean (OZ) carriers have presence along with a U.S legacy carrier.
We travel to Korea and Japan for most international travel so this is important to me. Seems like I will be moving to SEA towards end of this year, but still thinking about keeping with UA for the above reason.

4. Mileage redemption - Much easier to actually use the miles compared to Delta. Delta seldomly shows saver awards for non-stops and availability was very poor for partner flights in Asia.
Never flew seriously with American so I don't have any experience with them. UA also has the best million miler benefits, but I'm far away from enjoying that benefit.

Last edited by maverickar15; Mar 21, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL UA WN AMTK
As a leisure traveler who wants to avoid ULCC issues like super-cramped seats and carry-on fees, UA has been the best option for me in recent years. At MSP, most of the time Delta is way too expensive (fortress hub in a business-oriented market), while the cheapest fares are on ULCCs like Frontier, Spirit, and Sun Country. This leaves WN, UA, AS, and AA. WN often has a fare premium due to free checked luggage but I usually just travel with an overhead carry-on. AS only really works if I'm going to the west coast, and AA's hubs are mostly far away except for ORD.

So this leaves UA. UA at MSP tends to price its fares in a way to undercut the competition but still has a good route structure with nearby hubs at ORD and DEN. I avoid Basic Economy but even standard economy fares are usually decent. Economy minus seat pitch is just big enough for me to fit without feeling cramped.

Overall they have the best deals and schedules from my airport while still offering normal amenities like seat selection, etc. that meet my needs. If airfare wasn't an issue I'd be a Delta regular but they are usually too expensive.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
I am based in NYC and my wife has status with OZ. Since we fly to Korea and Asia often, I decided to follow her with OZ. When I was in Europe, I would fly LH, TK or LX. I came to the US and wanted to try to keep status with OZ while flying for work. So UA and AC became my choices for North American flights.

Often, I find the state of the planes unbelievable but I have lounge access with OZ *A and if I need to forget about a flight, I just take a strong drink before it.
Fare wise, it's not too hard to find a UA ticket that is not too expensive to meet the corporate criteria.

That plus the ability to go non-stop almost everywhere from EWR or LGA is a good thing for me.
As someone else said, I don't expect a EK type of experience.
I just need to be able to listen to my music and sleep after a good drink when I travel.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: United Platinum
I suppose I fly United for two reasons.

One is I live near SFO, so United has the most non-stop options to the places I fly to (IAD, EWR, LHR, NAR, SYD, LIH, SUN, ASE, YVR, FRA, LAS, LAX, BOS, and ORD). I fly enough to make anywhere from Gold to 1K any given year, and miles for upgrades or the occasional free ticket are nice.

But the second reason is why I'm willing to cut United a lot of slack. I met my wife when she sat in front of me on an 8:05am from SFO to EWR years back and even when I'm annoyed with United that's a worthwhile memory.

Bob
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Many business travelers end up going to the top cities (ranked by GDP) domestically and internationally. If you live in a market like SF or Denver, I’d bet United has non-stops to 90%+ of these cities globally. While I love flying, like many on FT, the non-stop trumps almost anything else in my book. The question for me isn’t, why United, it’s actually how could you rationally choose any other carrier...
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
My time with UA began in the early 2000's while I was based in SYD.I was UK expat at the time who was about to relocate to the US.We had, outside of business travel a very generous family travel package which got even better with the demise of the Aussie dollar .Prior to UA we used typically OW RTW, QF business or Gulf Air FC at that time to go back to the UK.My wife came to the US to do some house scouting with the kids flying for the first time on a FC RTW Star A, ticket.She and the kids found the transpac UA FA'S much kinder and more kid friendly at the front than the QF counterparts and so that was the beginning of the journey.
As others have said over the years have dropped or avoided UA from time to time,for the same reasons as others.I have just returned to US after a 2 + years in Japan so I am picking up more domestic travel which I am not so excited about. I mentioned in another thread that I have dropped UA for international, they are for me noncompetitive , highly variable and have a poor food product, Polaris to me is an over hyped ,delayed sub par me too.
Being based in RDU where UA are number 3 I continue to fly with them because of firstly Star A and because over the years , from time to time I have come across some really outstanding people who despite the incompetence of the people leading them have helped me out far and above what they needed to.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
I still go out of my way to fly united. Based out of philly but i'll go to EWR if there are better flights. I like the non-stops to hawaii, and it has the most routes to japan.

I still have about 400K miles to hit 1M. and due to change in my business policies i may have to do the last 400K in coach... something i may not be able to handle!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.