Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:11 pm

Thanks for the quick response! Yes I was planning to catch a train. The villa we're staying at for the wedding is in northern Florence. From there the earliest train I can get departs Florence at 8:14am and arrives at FCO at 10:33am. Way too close to walk the rest of the way to the desk, check bags and catch an 11:35am flight but was perfect for my 1:40pm departure. The trains to Rome termini are a shorter and more direct ride than to go to FCO. That ride is just under 2 1/2 hours.

Originally Posted by findark
HUCA and don't get your record annotated ("oh, that's too bad, I guess I'll need to think about it some more..."). I think the #1 thing people get wrong when calling UA is asking for supervisors for help. The only time it's good to appeal at a supervisor is when you know the letter of the law is on your side, and even then it can be less than great.
Yes, I agree. I spent the first half of the call with a rep who claimed to not have visibility to award routing that I could clearly see online. So you think there are now notes in my record so that calling back will be fruitless? That's frustrating to say the least.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2019 at 12:17 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by willi348
...I'm not sure why United is so adamant that they won't help a customer when there is a very easy solution available...
United is reluctant to open a can of worms by letting passengers invoke a schedule change to allow re-booking from different cities. The train solution is a possibility. It be kinda of tight - 1:30 to Rome & transfer to airport train (30 minute ride, freq. every 15 minutes).
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, I agree. I spent the first half of the call with a rep who claimed to not have visibility to award routing that I could clearly see online. So you think there are now notes in my record so that calling back will be fruitless? That's frustrating to say the least.
Impossible to tell and too late to do anything

Never give up on the first try (but never push too hard on the first try). The best solution is to call again. You can even mention you called earlier but have now investigated the train timing as the reason for a second call.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:31 pm

If you provide exact dates and where you are trying to fly, that might help someone here think of a creative solution.

Maybe there is a way (pre-booked taxi?) you can get to the Florence train station earlier? On a random date I picked, I see a 6:00 train that will get you to FCO 3 hours before your flight and a 7:43am train that will get you to the airport 90 minutes before your flight. Not the best rising time the morning after a wedding, I understand.

From where you are staying, is getting to FLR easier than to the train station? There is a 6:35am flight for $82, getting you to FCO at 7:25am, only a little more money than the train. It's a broken ticket but 4 hour buffer.

Can you stay one more day, get to Rome leisurely and get a United metal flight the next day (that they can force award space on)?

Also remember you can get a full refund and start from scratch....probably business class one-ways would be expensive but if you don't mind economy for the daytime west-bound flight, you can do $700 per person on TP via LIS. You could even do a similar itin from FLR and avoid Rome altogether. Maybe not ideal but it's an option.

Seems worth a HUCA, since what you are asking for is (a) not unreasonable and (b) not guaranteed by policy.

But yeah: dates and desired destination would be helpful here.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
If you provide exact dates and where you are trying to fly, that might help someone here think of a creative solution.

Maybe there is a way (pre-booked taxi?) you can get to the Florence train station earlier? On a random date I picked, I see a 6:00 train that will get you to FCO 3 hours before your flight and a 7:43am train that will get you to the airport 90 minutes before your flight. Not the best rising time the morning after a wedding, I understand.

From where you are staying, is getting to FLR easier than to the train station? There is a 6:35am flight for $82, getting you to FCO at 7:25am, only a little more money than the train. It's a broken ticket but 4 hour buffer.

Can you stay one more day, get to Rome leisurely and get a United metal flight the next day (that they can force award space on)?

Also remember you can get a full refund and start from scratch....probably business class one-ways would be expensive but if you don't mind economy for the daytime west-bound flight, you can do $700 per person on TP via LIS. You could even do a similar itin from FLR and avoid Rome altogether. Maybe not ideal but it's an option.

Seems worth a HUCA, since what you are asking for is (a) not unreasonable and (b) not guaranteed by policy.

But yeah: dates and desired destination would be helpful here.
Thank you! I hadn't thought of a flight from FLR to FCO. I'll keep that in my back pocket. I'd hoped that United would work with me on this one. I still do but want to be able to call back when I'll be able to keep my "get more flies with honey" voice rather than the one that would likely escape now. One thing I've learned the hard way several times (at least) is that United makes no attempt to be customer-centric when presented with the possibility.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Impossible to tell and too late to do anything

Never give up on the first try (but never push too hard on the first try). The best solution is to call again. You can even mention you called earlier but have now investigated the train timing as the reason for a second call.
Thank you. I plan to do just that....later on today after an after-work glass of wine has mellowed me out
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The easiest way is to delay your return for one day. Just tell an agent that this might be the best solution for your situation caused by the schedule change. As mentioned earlier, United can force open save business awards on its own metal for you.
Alternatively, if you have found award availability of A* partner flights from FCO to another European city served by United (e.g., FRA, LHR, CDG, ZRH), United can also force open save business awards on its own metal from this particular city to a US hub and then your destination. Basically, you have to do some homework before you call United again.
Good luck.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The easiest way is to delay your return for one day. Just tell an agent that this might be the best solution for your situation caused by the schedule change. As mentioned earlier, United can force open save business awards on its own metal for you.
Alternatively, if you have found award availability of A* partner flights from FCO to another European city served by United (e.g., FRA, LHR, CDG, ZRH), United can also force open save business awards on its own metal from this particular city to a US hub and then your destination. Basically, you have to do some homework before you call United again.
Good luck.
Do you think that would include what I've proposed? There is open saver award space on the A* partner flight from FLR to MUC and I've asked United to force open saver business awards on it's metal from MUC - IAD and IAD - DEN. The United flights are available as Everyday awards so I'm not asking for award space where it doesn't exist, just a reduction in the required miles for the flight.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Do you think that would include what I've proposed? There is open saver award space on the A* partner flight from FLR to MUC and I've asked United to force open saver business awards on it's metal from MUC - IAD and IAD - DEN. The United flights are available as Everyday awards so I'm not asking for award space where it doesn't exist, just a reduction in the required miles for the flight.
Definitely, but I think the idea is that departing a day later from FCO (whether on UA metal or *A metal) could be easier to swing than changing the origin to FLR. Worth asking about if it's okay with you and the next call doesn't work out for the FLR departure.

I will say the ability to HUCA without waiting on hold is an oft-overlooked benefit of status, as I haven definitely been in a situation like this before and simply keep calling again until I get it fixed. Last trip was probably 6-7 calls over the life of the reservation and a lot of angry agents trying to lecture me that "I am only allowed to do what shows up on my computer screen"
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Had recent schedule change on a EZE-EWR-SFO flight giving me now 70 mins to transfer in EWR to my SFO flight. Having not done this route through EWR is this enough time? I do have Global Entry, Clear, and Pre Check fwiw. Thanks for your input in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nomad420
Had recent schedule change on a EZE-EWR-SFO flight giving me now 70 mins to transfer in EWR to my SFO flight. Having not done this route through EWR is this enough time? I do have Global Entry, Clear, and Pre Check fwiw. Thanks for your input in advance.
Without checked bags, you will probably make it okay. If you have to wait for baggage delivery then I think it is unlikely to work.

I/D without a terminal change has an MCT of 1h10 exactly UA online.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Without checked bags, you will probably make it okay. If you have to wait for baggage delivery then I think it is unlikely to work.

I/D without a terminal change has an MCT of 1h10 exactly UA online.
Bummer, a bunch of bags per usual. Thanks, I may call and see what my options are.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Bummer, a bunch of bags per usual. Thanks, I may call and see what my options are.
Unfortunately EWR is not known for speedy delivery of bags. My last connection there it was 53 minutes from block in to my bag coming off the belt, which would not have made a 1h10 connection.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
I just found out about a schedule change on an upcoming award flight of more than 2 hours making my return flight impossible to get to in time. We were set to fly out of Rome at 1:40pm and now the departing AC flight leaves at 11:35am. We're attending a wedding in Florence and don't have flexibility with plans to be in Rome the night before in order to catch this flight. I spent over an hour on the phone with customer service and a supervisor. There are no later flights available departing Rome so I requested a flight out of Florence that same day. I was first told that it would have to be a saver business class award flight as that's my original booking but there are none available. When I asked for leniency to book a return trip on UA flights (I do understand they can't authorize saver availability on a partner airline that isn't there) that are available at the everyday award level I was told I'd have to cough up the extra 160k miles for the 2 tickets. I pressed on a bit and was then told that they could accommodate an award at the everyday level on their flights if no saver tickets were available. I thought we were good to go. I asked to book and then was told that since Florence is more than 100 miles from Rome (145 to be exact) they cannot authorize a change of departing city. You work your way through one issue and they have another one waiting in the wings (pun intended).

The customer service supervisor told me to just wait and keep checking and hope for the best. Hope isn't a strategy in my book and I'm not sure why United is so adamant that they won't help a customer when there is a very easy solution available. Any suggestions for how to approach this? If any of you have been able to successfully navigate UA. I'd love to have some tips. Thanks in advance!
Given what's transpired, I'd recommend leaving the Premier Desk alone for now. Give the united.com support desk in MNL a try instead. You may need gentle escalation to a supervisor if the MNL agent does not do the needful on the spot. As a rule, the MNL agents and supervisors are better trained than their US peers in the mechanics of working the current booking system to piecemeal and manually price award bookings when sked changes, etc. occur. The best way to reach them is to dial united.com support, and say "NO" when the system asks if it's you calling.

Good luck.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
I think the #1 thing people get wrong when calling UA is asking for supervisors for help. The only time it's good to appeal at a supervisor is when you know the letter of the law is on your side, and even then it can be less than great.
I have to respectfully disagree. IME, spending too much time hearing "NO" from people not empowered to say "YES" in the first place is at the root of ~80% of the epic sh!tshows we read on FT.

For all of UA's faults, the one thing the airline gets right is empowering its supervisors to resolve virtually every problem right on the spot...if they feel so inclined. Here, a supervisor will ultimately be required to fix the award ticketing issue insofar as front-line agents no longer have the ability to overbook award inventories, or create and store pricing for manually constructed (e.g., point to point searched) itineraries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.