Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by fumje
The options seem about the same in terms of connection anxiety. I'd stay with MUC. Visit the SEN cafe if you can.
Thanks! Is MUC pretty risky? I can take an earlier flight from Krakow but that would mean getting up at 4:30am and a 4.5 hour layover. Correction - it would mean waking up at 3am.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by fumje
The options seem about the same in terms of connection anxiety. I'd stay with MUC. Visit the SEN cafe if you can.
I'd avoid Germany if possible given the ongoing security strike. Perhaps things will change by May (a lot can change by then) but generally I've never had good luck at the German airports.

-James
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
I'd avoid Germany if possible given the ongoing security strike. Perhaps things will change by May (a lot can change by then) but generally I've never had good luck at the German airports.

-James
Eeks. I am traveling from Krakow to SFO so Lufthansa seems to be my only option. It looks like LH has a flight to SFO from MUC that same day, which leaves after mine so would I be transferred to that if I missed my connection? Also noticed that UA has a later flight to SFO from FRA so assume I would be transferred to that if went via FRA and missed my connection?

Or just do the longer connection and not stress?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daisyatl
Thanks! Is MUC pretty risky? I can take an earlier flight from Krakow but that would mean getting up at 4:30am and a 4.5 hour layover. Correction - it would mean waking up at 3am.
No, I wouldn't say risky. I think your chances of making it are good at either. Personally, I might take the earlier flight all things equal, but that is mainly because I don't mind waking up at 3a. And of course all things are never equal.

-James
I'd be surprised if there are issues due to that in May! (Is that when the flight is? Not seeing mention of when.)
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by daisyatl
Eeks. I am traveling from Krakow to SFO so Lufthansa seems to be my only option. It looks like LH has a flight to SFO from MUC that same day, which leaves after mine so would I be transferred to that if I missed my connection? Also noticed that UA has a later flight to SFO from FRA so assume I would be transferred to that if went via FRA and missed my connection?
Yes, if it's one ticket then your connection is protected and they will get you there, including putting you on a non-stop to your final if there's room and sufficient time before departure to process the change. LH/UA coordinate closely TATL so there shouldn't be any problem getting on either carrier in the case of a misconnect.

Or just do the longer connection and not stress?
People ask this on FT all the time but the answer is always the same -- what are the costs/benefits of each to you, personally, on this trip? Would an overnight in FRA kill you? Would you miss a wedding or important meeting? Do you have travel insurance / would the cost of hotels/transit in FRA be a burden? Would losing your seat assignment be a drag (seated with family, etc.)? Do you hate waking up at 3am? Would getting up at 3am ruin your final night in KRK? Do you have lounge access / do you mind long connections? Do short connections cause you stress? If travelling with others, would you mind splitting up if there are fewer than N seats?

If I don't have a time-sensitive obligation at my destination, I prefer a shorter connection, a small chance I'll get re-routed, and a smaller chance that I will stay overnight -- I would take it as an opportunity to explore Frankfurt, etc.

At other times, if my schedule is tight and losing a day would be a huge inconvenience, I'd take the 6 hour connection and hole up in a lounge with my laptop, and then not sweat when there is a 2 hour delay on my first leg.

Also did you look into KRK-WAW-[USA]-SFO connections or KRK-WAW-LHR-SFO via LOT/UA?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Gl gl and let us know if you got the change. Just remember to HUCA if the agent won’t help you.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Did you keep your original fare class (e.g. P or Z) or did you get ticketed in "J"?

Some agents will put you on hold while they get the same fare class opened while others will just book what's available. Similar to how some gate agents do it as well.

-RM
IME vast majority of agents will rebook in current or lowest available, whichever is higher.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Chase, United
cannot accept

Expertflyer alerted me to schedule change of one minute and aircraft change. But when I press "accept new schedule" in app or website, it doesn't work -- I come back to the same notification of schedule change and need to accept it. The app gives the "segment waitlisted" message.

Any help or ideas to keep in mind in case I ever get through to them on the phone (iffy)
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by zoechow
Expertflyer alerted me to schedule change of one minute and aircraft change. But when I press "accept new schedule" in app or website, it doesn't work -- I come back to the same notification of schedule change and need to accept it. The app gives the "segment waitlisted" message.

Any help or ideas to keep in mind in case I ever get through to them on the phone (iffy)
Same thing happened to me a couple months ago. UA IT

Just call it in!

-James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2019 at 8:32 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zoechow
Any help or ideas to keep in mind
Wait until Monday and try again. If that doesn't work, either call or ignore it.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: Chase, United
Same thing happened to me a couple months ago. UA IT

Just call it in!

-James
I see -- call fixed yours -- nice. thanks! (still on hold but maybe give up to monday)

*** UPDATE ****
I got through, and first level couldn't fix, but second level could. Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2019 at 8:37 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I ageee. Totally depends. Most of my travel is for work. Going there, I plan for things to go wrong but still get to the meeting. Coming back, if I miss a flight and am stuck in Europe for an extra day, no big deal. Sightsee and work on the laptop.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
But earnings, in any event, are based on fare basis paid. Thus, should not matter.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
But earnings, in any event, are based on fare basis paid. Thus, should not matter.
For redeemable miles being credited to MileagePlus.

MileagePlus members can sometimes get a nice PQM bonus when this happens, and not everyone credits their UA flights to MP.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had 3 award reservations that went into schedule change overnight - moving 2+ hours each. I called.

After pulling up the PNR, the 1K agent first said she could not do anything. She said she could not do YN, open inventory or search segment by segment since the flight was not cancelled. Then I reminded her the schedule change was over 2 hours. Then she offered me 2 options. I picked which one (same flight out but earlier flight leaving from the hub) and she had to put me on hold for the supervisor to do it manually.

The whole call took about 15 minutes - for 1 reservation, Since the first one was painful, I did not have her do the 2nd and 3rd ones.

Is this normal or the agents should be able to do these things without a supervisor? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.