Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goalie
So what happens if I don't accept the current schedule change and let it sit-how long before it auto accepts?
Technically it doesn't matter how long you wait, or whether it auto-accepts - particularly if you tell them "I was waiting to see if there would be another schedule change" - though an unhelpful agent may not agree with me on this point.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Kacee
Technically it doesn't matter how long you wait, or whether it auto-accepts - particularly if you tell them "I was waiting to see if there would be another schedule change" - though an unhelpful agent may not agree with me on this point.
Wait! You mean there are unhelpful agents????

But seriously, thank you ^ and if Im not able to do the crazy redeye routing, I'm tempted to let it sit for at least 2-4 weeks and see what happens
Old May 13, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Didn't think of that and I'm not sure if this is the section for the outbound fare basis or not and perhaps someone can help me decipher it
As far as a legal change, the most restrictive thing on a fare would be the routing rules (which are not directly published). It depends on the fare, but even on a full Y fare it only allows connection in LAX. You can often get an agent to waive the fare rules for a schedule change if your request "makes sense", but I think stretching to 11.5x the flown mileage is more than a bit past that

Code:
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1   Y              Y X  3052.00     ----      -    -/  -  595
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES              
FROM-SFO TO-LAS    CXR-UA    TVL-13MAY18  RULE-2000 DFR/11
FARE BASIS-Y                 NORMAL FARE  DIS-N   VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-EU      OW-ECONOMY UNRESTRICTED
USD  2839.07  0595  E20APR17 D-INFINITY   FC-Y  FN-     
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 20APR17/1928  EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG SFO-LAS/UA595 /TAR-DRG1    EF-20APR17 DIS-INDEF

MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
 1. SFO-LAX-LAS

As WineCountryUA mentioned, as of now the app's SDC rules are incredibly lenient and may offer you that, but I would be shocked if an agent was willing to do it. However, it can't hurt to ask.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Possibly valuable to annotate the PNR with something to the effect of "this is the best available now, but allow a free change back if something is added". But also refund and fly WN is a decent option.
Old May 13, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

But seriously, thank you ^ and if Im not able to do the crazy redeye routing, I'm tempted to let it sit for at least 2-4 weeks and see what happens
Letting it sit and wait is in your favor! I have found on schedule changes I will let it sit, let it percolate, then see what happens closer to the travel date.. if no additional schedule changes have happened (which is unlikely in this case as the travel date is far off ) you will always find a solution. I find the premier representatives will book you in a higher class of service on a flight that will work in your favor. This helps with upgrade opportunities as well. So hang tight for a while have nothing to lose. My main line is I'm sorry the schedule doesn't work for me. I further stated that well my flights seem to have changed and I didn't authorize those, and the new itinerary doesn't work for me. And I repeat that! good luck and keep us posted
Old May 13, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like you got enough good feedback already, but just chiming in to add that I never deal with schedule changes immediately. I just make a note to myself, and then wait until I am certain of my travel plans to call and fix if needed.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
You can often get an agent to waive the fare rules for a schedule change if your request "makes sense", but I think stretching to 11.5x the flown mileage is more than a bit past that
If the EWR/LAS flight got in at 8, instead of 10, I think this request might “make sense,” if provided in context: can’t leave SFO earlier, trying to meet up with a group in LAS. But I think it’s a tougher sell to change to a flight that gets in later.

If 15 minutes makes a difference, you might be able to go SFO-IAH-LAS, with a 9:12 AM arrival.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thank you all for the feedback and input ^ and I'm going to let it sit with the un-accepted schedule change thru the end of the month/first week of June and see what happens w/r/t any additional schedule changes
Old May 14, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thank you all for the feedback and input ^ and I'm going to let it sit with the un-accepted schedule change thru the end of the month/first week of June and see what happens w/r/t any additional schedule changes

Bear in mind, while you'll let it sit and not accept the schedule change (in my experience it will change without your approval) it's not an issue because once you call in they can see that and will always override. So no concern if you see the change
Old May 14, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As noted you can accept immediately and just tell the agent there was a change when/if you need to call in.

I'm not sure that there is any negative consequence to leaving unacknowledged changes, but I have noticed that the app treats the segments as waitlisted (for your original booking class) and won't let you change seats until you accept on the desktop site.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
As noted you can accept immediately and just tell the agent there was a change when/if you need to call in.

I'm not sure that there is any negative consequence to leaving unacknowledged changes, but I have noticed that the app treats the segments as waitlisted (for your original booking class) and won't let you change seats until you accept on the desktop site.
In my experience, waitlisted instruments will not clear while there are pending sked changes. If OP has any RPUs waiting to be used, then s/he might miss a chance if there is a sweep while the sked change is pending.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
In my experience, waitlisted instruments will not clear while there are pending sked changes. If OP has any RPUs waiting to be used, then s/he might miss a chance if there is a sweep while the sked change is pending.
Thanks, haven't had personal experience with that, but it makes sense given the other indicators.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Bear in mind, while you'll let it sit and not accept the schedule change (in my experience it will change without your approval) it's not an issue because once you call in they can see that and will always override. So no concern if you see the change
Originally Posted by fumje

Strange goings on....

I just looked at my reservation via the website and the schedule change auto-accepted! And I know I never clicked "accept the change "

And an app question-when I looked at my reservation after the schedule change via app (iPhone/current app version), there is no notification on the reservation that there has been a schedule change as there is when you view a reservation via the website-is that normal?
Old May 14, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just looked at my reservation via the website and the schedule change auto-accepted! And I know I never clicked "accept the change "
It happens. The phone agents understand it happens -- and sometimes people don't get the notifications in the first place -- so it shouldn't cause any issues for you later when you decide what to do about it.

And an app question-when I looked at my reservation after the schedule change via app (iPhone/current app version), there is no notification on the reservation that there has been a schedule change as there is when you view a reservation via the website-is that normal?
Yes, that's normal. The app doesn't show schedule change notifications. Sometimes, it won't show anything at all; other times, it'll show a badly out-of-sync reservation full of waitlisted flights.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Actually, I'm not a fan of group flying, so if I'm the OP, I'm almost happy to land and manage things separately (groups have such inertia).
By the time OP lands, they might have gotten actually themselves out of the airport and checked-in. So all OP loses is the uber fare from LAS airport to the hotel.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:25 am

Strange goings on....

UA's sole's obligation is to inform you of a schedule change, which they have fulfilled when they displayed the webpage indicating the changes. If you never garden your reservations they will eventually send you an email to fulfill that obligation. Clicking "Accept" or even "Do not accept" constitutes as confirmation that UA fulfilled its obligation to you, although UA doesn't need your confirmation per se.

Per rule 24C of the CoC, they don't need to obtain your explicit approval to rebook you because of a schedule change, and the "choice" menu they show is pretty moot as at that point you've already been rebooked in the new schedule anyway. So don't take it too seriously, just treat it as an involuntary change notification and call in to make changes (or cancel) if it doesn't work for you.

Last edited by mozilla; May 14, 2018 at 11:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.