Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
One reason would be if the cabin is full. In that situation, should they kick someone out for him?
There was plenty of inventory for sale in the same cabin (O9 A7 R0). That should be all that's needed.
SPN Lifer and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
1K friend of mine booked LAS-SFO-HKG-TPE on an R fare. Original departure from LAS was a Monday around 1000, arriving in TPE Tuesday around 2300. This was booked on UA.com.

There was a big schedule change to SFO-HKG, so the new itinerary is a ~1600 LAS-SFO, arriving HKG around 0500 Wednesday, with no onward connection.

He's on the phone, getting pushback about being rebooked onto LAS-SFO-TPE (same original departure, and arriving on Tuesday), because SFO-TPE is R0 (as it was when he booked, which is why he opted for the HKG option). It's O9 A7.

So the agent is trying to talk to a supervisor.

I don't understand why UA would push back against a 1K when a schedule change on their metal results in a 12 hour arrival difference, and the requested rebooking option is on UA metal.

I've had some pushback when, for example, LX cancels a flight and I want to be rebooked on LH (which also made no sense because UA did not serve the origin that the cancellation occurred on). But pushback when UA breaks an itinerary and you still want to fly UA? As a 1K?

Edit: 40 minutes total, but they got it done
Given the context, this is classic HUCA indicator. There's no reason the agent should push back except that the agent doesn't know how this works. I always find it easier to HUCA at first sign of pushback than to try for the supervisor, remind agent of policies, etc.
SPN Lifer, canadiancow and findark like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't understand why UA would push back against a 1K when a schedule change on their metal results in a 12 hour arrival difference, and the requested rebooking option is on UA metal. ...
Too many new agents who do not feel empowered and are reluctant to get supervisor help. And yes, those types are handling 1K and elite calls.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
One reason would be if the cabin is full. In that situation, should they kick someone out for him?
It was something like J50 O20 Y190. Wide open in all cabins. So, no, they shouldn't kick someone out*, but that wasn't the situation.

*Given that the flight is in 3 months, as long as J has space, I think overbooking the O cabin would be reasonable though.

Originally Posted by fumje
Given the context, this is classic HUCA indicator. There's no reason the agent should push back except that the agent doesn't know how this works. I always find it easier to HUCA at first sign of pushback than to try for the supervisor, remind agent of policies, etc.
Yeah. I wasn't in the room (or on the continent even), so he probably should have. This just seems like such an obvious way to handle a schedule change.

They did force him into R on the new flight (as he was on the original), even though they weren't selling it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fed planner
Quick question.

Booked SAT-LHR in June, departing early AM. Original route was thru ORD. Recently a schedule change moved the outbound from SAT 15 min earlier (and an even longer layover). Tried to call to get it changed to a midday departure via IAH (versus the 0645 departure). No dice, not a 30 min change. Well, yesterday I get notified that we're now rerouted SAT-IAD-LHR, with a slightly shorter long layover (which I'm not opposed to as will have ccess to PL, but would prefer something slightly shorter). New departure is now 10 minutes later than originally booked departure, and 25 min later than the previous schedule change (which I never accepted, fwiw).

Would this latest change in routing/timing trigger the ability to ask for a new reroute via a later flight? Same origin and destination. All UA metal.
So, I called, and the agent indicated that these changes did not qualify for a reroute (without repricing). Note the original arrival time into LHR is about 45 minutes later than original. So is the threshold 30 min or 2 hours?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fed planner
So, I called, and the agent indicated that these changes did not qualify for a reroute (without repricing). Note the original arrival time into LHR is about 45 minutes later than original. So is the threshold 30 min or 2 hours?
Should be 30 minutes. HUCA. Don't point out the individual, minor changes. Instead, just say something like "I was originally scheduled to arrive in LHR at X, I'm now arriving 45 minutes later at Y, can we please rebook to these new flights?"
fed planner and jsloan like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only now happened to notice the last round of schedule changes swapped 788 for 772 on my summer get-away, and for reasons I can't imagine, that also entailed swapping 1df for 2dg. Rows 1, 3, 5, 7 had been nabbed, but thankfully 9 was still clear.

Keep an eye on those seat assignments!
cfischer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Change from mainline to UA express

I have a trip to Europe in summer. The last segment was changed from mainline to United Express. It was booked in FC. Can this be used to change the flight date, different routing or even departing city? My colleague on the same trip wants to return a few days earlier. How about refund to original payment method, not future flight credit?

Last edited by Kmxu; Mar 3, 2023 at 7:11 am
Old Mar 3, 2023, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I have a trip to Europe in summer. The last segment was changed from mainline to United Express. It was booked in FC. Can this be used to change the flight date, different routing or even departing city? My colleague on the same trip wants to return a few days earlier. How about refund to original payment method, not future flight credit?
Change of flight date? Maybe, probably limited to +/- 1 day, from recent experiences. Routing? Sure. Departing city? No.

A refund to the original payment method should be possible provided there's not a blindingly obvious UA-operated flight that arrives at about the same time. The DOT requires that the actual carrier be revealed at the time of purchase, so moving from UA to Express, or even a change of Express carriers, should trigger a refund. It may require HUCA, though, as you're standing on a bit of a technicality.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
thankful I check my itineraries every few days, my segment home (DEN-YEG) Sunday disappeared from my reservation

Had to call to get it re-added now my PP cleared first seat is no longer available since first is sold out, really crappy situation but not much I can do I guess
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by whitethunder
thankful I check my itineraries every few days, my segment home (DEN-YEG) Sunday disappeared from my reservation

Had to call to get it re-added now my PP cleared first seat is no longer available since first is sold out, really crappy situation but not much I can do I guess
A) ask for a new plane and B) have the system re-run the seat assignments with the plane change so that C) you get the seat you want.

David
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dkc192
Should be 30 minutes. HUCA. Don't point out the individual, minor changes. Instead, just say something like "I was originally scheduled to arrive in LHR at X, I'm now arriving 45 minutes later at Y, can we please rebook to these new flights?"
Called back on Friday, and the agent made the change no questions asked.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 6:38 pm

Is there a fixed date on which UA puts in the schedule changes for the summer season that starts after March 26/27 or whatever? Or are those summer schedules pretty fixed by now?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by abcx
Is there a fixed date on which UA puts in the schedule changes for the summer season that starts after March 26/27 or whatever? Or are those summer schedules pretty fixed by now?
The long haul schedule shouldn't be changing very much. The short haul schedule is set up through May with high certainty and June probably is mostly set but will see some additional adjustments.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by angetenar
The long haul schedule shouldn't be changing very much. The short haul schedule is set up through May with high certainty and June probably is mostly set but will see some additional adjustments.
Thanks, I have FRA-IAD-SFO booked and hoping for a schedule change to switch to something better. Sounds like I shouldn't be hopeful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.