FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1813450-check-your-ua-itineraries-schedule-changes-what-do-after-one.html)

gnomey Feb 17, 2023 11:05 am

UA issued ticket: there is schedule change in my itinerary (outbound leg)

i know the origin and destination must be the same

- what's the leeway allowed in the new dates you can choose? +/-7 days from original itinerary? or +/-3 days or +/-1 day? is there a rule to this?

- the agent i spoke to keep telling me change is free (yes i know that), and what new routing i want is up to me (with preference to UA metal i guess?), and that i can change the routing and date for both outbound and inbound leg despite the schedule change only happening on outbound leg. true?

any insights/experiences are welcomed.

thank you

JayhawkCO Feb 17, 2023 11:09 am

Just as a point of clarification - origin and destination normally have to be the same, but in some cases they let you move one within 250 miles. For example, my flight to MGA was cancelled, and they offered me the chance to rebook to LIR. I declined.

I don't know that there's a specific rule on the date changing; someone else will have to address that. But new routing is up to you insofar as there's availability on partner airlines. UA will open up space on their own metal in these cases. And yes, if forced to change the date on one leg, they should let you change the other as well, again, based on availability for partners.

jsloan Feb 17, 2023 11:21 am

Originally Posted by gnomey (Post 35019232)
UA issued ticket: there is schedule change in my itinerary (outbound leg)

i know the origin and destination must be the same

- what's the leeway allowed in the new dates you can choose? +/-7 days from original itinerary? or +/-3 days or +/-1 day? is there a rule to this?

- the agent i spoke to keep telling me change is free (yes i know that), and what new routing i want is up to me (with preference to UA metal i guess?), and that i can change the routing and date for both outbound and inbound leg despite the schedule change only happening on outbound leg. true?

any insights/experiences are welcomed.

thank you

The actual schedule change policy -- which seems to have been updated recently -- allows you +/- 24 hours, no change of origin or destination, UA-operated flights only: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...e-changes.html . There used to be a seven-day rule in the CoC that some people had leveraged to try to get a larger free change approved, but (a) it was always at UA's discretion, and (b) it seems to have been removed in the current CoC (revision date August 3, 2022).

In practice, you may be able to wrangle something different if it makes sense -- for example, shifting the entire trip by a week to keep the days of travel consistent. I suspect the days of people trying to change the outbound by two days earlier and the return by four days later in response to a 2-hour schedule change are probably past.

gnomey Feb 17, 2023 11:28 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35019273)
The actual schedule change policy -- which seems to have been updated recently -- allows you +/- 24 hours, no change of origin or destination, UA-operated flights only: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...e-changes.html . There used to be a seven-day rule in the CoC that some people had leveraged to try to get a larger free change approved, but (a) it was always at UA's discretion, and (b) it seems to have been removed in the current CoC (revision date August 3, 2022).

In practice, you may be able to wrangle something different if it makes sense -- for example, shifting the entire trip by a week to keep the days of travel consistent. I suspect the days of people trying to change the outbound by two days earlier and the return by four days later in response to a 2-hour schedule change are probably past.

great, thanks a lot, very helpful.

i wasnt really looking to extend my trip (but want to change the days of departure/return while preserving total trip duration). however, can see the potential creativity involved now that you mention.

WineCountryUA Feb 17, 2023 12:41 pm

Frequency of flights will be taken in account. The few locations locations with less than daily service will allow more and in some case where the trip planned for a weekend due to work hours might be able to shift a full week but as mention UA's generousity has frequency been abused and UA seems to be getting tighter. UA seems OK keeping the original trip duration. Jetstream, the travel agency instructions on changes, still allows 7 days but only if under 24 hours is not available (and travel agents only handle paid, not award flights) plus (new) limitation to 3 days for AC or LH group flights. (and keeping the same duration). But most recent reports report agents will not offer more than 1 day shift and the website is only 24 days.

mahasamatman Feb 17, 2023 12:41 pm

Due to an earlier flight cancellation, I had to rebook a YVR-DTW flight as a two-stop YVR-DEN-ORD-DTW (this is just the outbound of a round-trip). I now have a "one time" free change available. Do you think they would allow me to change it to a one-stop with an overnight in either ORD or DEN? There's a significant charge if I try online, but if you think they might do it, I could call and ask. I just don't want to spend all that time on hold if there's no chance.

catahoulafriend Feb 17, 2023 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer (Post 34997372)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...on-thread.html

Refund due? No, you travelled.
Compensation due? Maybe, but nothing legally required.
Credit for the flights you should have been on (2PQFs)? absolutely eligible, contact MPSC requesting ORC (original routing credit).

With regards to compensation: do you feel that whatever delay you experienced by being rebooked onto AA still left you overall dissatisfied with the travel experience and UA should do something more for you to make up for it? Then contact United and see what they offer. If you're happy with the outcome already, don't worry about it further. Only you can decide if what you experienced is a big enough deal to you that you feel like the airline needs to do something more. Based on the compensation thread it seems lately there is a minimum delay threshold of around 4 hours before they generally do anything additional in terms of compensation.

(It sounds like to me, reading your post, your biggest concern is the 2PQFs). If thats the case, request ORC and leave compensation requests in case something in the future comes up that has you actually upset about the overall experience.

Thank you, LuxFlyer! You hit the nail on the head...I misused "refund" and "compensation". I called MPCS line and after an hour had not only the PQFs added but the PQPs as well. Really I was after the PQFs as this will be where I'm cutting it close for re-upping 1K for '24...I very much appreciate this community, it's support, and fast responses!

jsloan Feb 17, 2023 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 35019439)
Due to an earlier flight cancellation, I had to rebook a YVR-DTW flight as a two-stop YVR-DEN-ORD-DTW (this is just the outbound of a round-trip). I now have a "one time" free change available. Do you think they would allow me to change it to a one-stop with an overnight in either ORD or DEN? There's a significant charge if I try online, but if you think they might do it, I could call and ask. I just don't want to spend all that time on hold if there's no chance.

At one point, the fare rules pretty much universally allowed you to add an overnight transfer if you were heading out on the next available flight. So, you might be able to get YVR-DEN/DEN-DTW with an overnight if that’s the next DEN-DTW flight, but probably not otherwise.

They’ve seemingly removed this rule, as you can see from the pricing, but I’d consider it worth asking about. Your chances may have decreased recently with the number of new agents they’ve added, but I don’t think it’s a complete waste of time. If they say no, I wouldn’t bother HUCA more than once or twice though.

UACPAFlier Feb 18, 2023 11:46 pm

UA Sked Change - SFO HKG

Originally booked PHX-DEN-SFO-HKG booked in K Class leaving PHX at 6:00AM and arriving in HKG a 6:45PM at night.

United did a schedule change and cancelled the daytime SFO-HKG flight. Now put me on the evening HKG flight which gets me at 5:00AM +2 days. Still the same 6:00AM departure from Phoenix. Not ideal.

They say that you can get a free schedule change but must be in the same ticketing class. Tried to change online to a later flight than a 6AM departure and it says to pay $1500 more (U class).

Question 1 - I guess I need to call United to get them to waive the fare difference?

Question 2 - I want to reroute PHX-IAH-SFO-HKG but on .bomb it only shows Y class offered. In expert mode it shows that E class has seats available. Can I change to this routing?

Question 3 - will I get the new fare class PQP or will I still get my original paid PQP for my ticket if my ticket is reissued?

Thanks

jsloan Feb 19, 2023 12:52 am

Originally Posted by UACPAFlier (Post 35022689)
Originally booked PHX-DEN-SFO-HKG booked in K Class leaving PHX at 6:00AM and arriving in HKG a 6:45PM at night.

United did a schedule change and cancelled the daytime SFO-HKG flight. Now put me on the evening HKG flight which gets me at 5:00AM +2 days. Still the same 6:00AM departure from Phoenix. Not ideal.

They say that you can get a free schedule change but must be in the same ticketing class. Tried to change online to a later flight than a 6AM departure and it says to pay $1500 more (U class).

Question 1 - I guess I need to call United to get them to waive the fare difference?

Question 2 - I want to reroute PHX-IAH-SFO-HKG but on .bomb it only shows Y class offered. In expert mode it shows that E class has seats available. Can I change to this routing?

Question 3 - will I get the new fare class PQP or will I still get my original paid PQP for my ticket if my ticket is reissued?

Thanks

1 - Generally, yes
2 - For UA-operated flights, it should be same cabin, not same class. However, you need a valid routing, and I doubt PHX-IAH-SFO-HKG qualifies, unless you can provide a very good justification. (I’d expect them to prefer PHX-SFO-HKG with no additional stops).
3 - PQP on UA-operated flights are based on fare paid, not fare class or routing. A schedule change does sometimes change the PQP, but (a) it’s not supposed to do so and (b) it doens’t seem to be particularly predictable.

fed planner Feb 24, 2023 9:13 am

Quick question.

Booked SAT-LHR in June, departing early AM. Original route was thru ORD. Recently a schedule change moved the outbound from SAT 15 min earlier (and an even longer layover). Tried to call to get it changed to a midday departure via IAH (versus the 0645 departure). No dice, not a 30 min change. Well, yesterday I get notified that we're now rerouted SAT-IAD-LHR, with a slightly shorter long layover (which I'm not opposed to as will have ccess to PL, but would prefer something slightly shorter). New departure is now 10 minutes later than originally booked departure, and 25 min later than the previous schedule change (which I never accepted, fwiw).

Would this latest change in routing/timing trigger the ability to ask for a new reroute via a later flight? Same origin and destination. All UA metal.

jsloan Feb 24, 2023 9:22 am

Originally Posted by fed planner (Post 35038251)
Would this latest change in routing/timing trigger the ability to ask for a new reroute via a later flight? Same origin and destination. All UA metal.

I mean, you can always ask; the more things have changed, the better your odds are that you'll find someone who will move you.

When you say "all UA metal," do you mean all mainline? If you've gone from mainline to United Express on one leg, that should be a slam dunk to change.

fed planner Feb 24, 2023 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35038281)
I mean, you can always ask; the more things have changed, the better your odds are that you'll find someone who will move you.

When you say "all UA metal," do you mean all mainline? If you've gone from mainline to United Express on one leg, that should be a slam dunk to change.

It was all mainline to start, and still is. I'll call and see what happens.

canadiancow Feb 25, 2023 11:08 am

1K friend of mine booked LAS-SFO-HKG-TPE on an R fare. Original departure from LAS was a Monday around 1000, arriving in TPE Tuesday around 2300. This was booked on UA.com.

There was a big schedule change to SFO-HKG, so the new itinerary is a ~1600 LAS-SFO, arriving HKG around 0500 Wednesday, with no onward connection.

He's on the phone, getting pushback about being rebooked onto LAS-SFO-TPE (same original departure, and arriving on Tuesday), because SFO-TPE is R0 (as it was when he booked, which is why he opted for the HKG option). It's O9 A7.

So the agent is trying to talk to a supervisor.

I don't understand why UA would push back against a 1K when a schedule change on their metal results in a 12 hour arrival difference, and the requested rebooking option is on UA metal.

I've had some pushback when, for example, LX cancels a flight and I want to be rebooked on LH (which also made no sense because UA did not serve the origin that the cancellation occurred on). But pushback when UA breaks an itinerary and you still want to fly UA? As a 1K?

Edit: 40 minutes total, but they got it done

mahasamatman Feb 25, 2023 11:24 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 35041051)
I don't understand why UA would push back against a 1K when a schedule change on their metal results in a 12 hour arrival difference, and the requested rebooking option is on UA metal.

One reason would be if the cabin is full. In that situation, should they kick someone out for him?