Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 10, 22, 2:20 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: seawolf
Wiki Link
UA typically updates schedules on late Wednesday & Friday evenings into the next day morning (USA Central Time).

United's FAQ on Schedule Changes webpage is no more vague but the follow seems to be the present policy

-- reschedule flexibility for 30 minutes or more changes
  • Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
  • If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
  • Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express partners.

-- refunds for 2 hours or more changes
--- we may be able to offer you a refund:
  • The scheduled departure or arrival time changes by two hours or more.
  • The change causes issues with the overall length of the trip, such as making the connection time too short or significantly longer than it was originally.
  • If we are unable to accommodate you in the same cabin as purchased refunded either the full price or the difference in fare.
If you're not satisfied with your new itinerary and one of the above scenarios applies, please don't accept the itinerary in Manage Reservations. Instead, you can request a refund online.

Generally, UA is pretty good about being flexible if you are adversely affected by a schedule change. Most reasonable requests will likely be honored. Best to do some self-research prior to calling. Including opening up award space on UA operated flights. If you had a cleared upgrade on UA operated flight, UA will generally honor that in the rescheduling if space is available (but not requiring upgrade inventory space on the new flights)

During this weekend change period and sometimes for a day later, there can be weirdness in displayed aircraft or seating maps, such as Strange/Impossible Aircraft Assignments After UA's Weekend Schedule Update

Early in the COVID pandemic, UA initially change the policy for refund to require 24 hour change, but quickly walked that back to 6 hours. Under DOT and public pressure, UA returned to a 2 hour policy on 6 June 2020. 30 minute change is still the threshold for flexible rebooking

More specific information is found in UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling
  • Any segment goes from a non-stop to a connection
  • Misconnecting itinerary
  • Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least + / - 30 minutes
Change to alternate flight (original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule) or UA operated flight. If itinerary includes UA operated segment, UA schedule change rules apply to that segment {meaning changing only to UA operated flight}.
Same booking class. If original booking class unavailable, book lowest available (higher than original booking class, same cabin) up to and including M class. Contact UA if required class of service is unavailable.**
Change fee and add/collect waived - see "Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes" below the chart.
For 2 hours or more, refunds are an option unless you can be rescheduled to be under the 2 hours
Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more or cancelled flight with no protection
or
Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250 mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
Please see footnote below regarding the handling of United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact Uniteds Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.
================= older information =======================
The peak-time for changes is roughly 3-4 months prior to departure but changes occur anytime -- especially aircraft changes within an aircraft family (such as 777-200s or 737-800 vs 737-900).

Schedule changes
Rebooking options if a schedule change has affected your itinerary

If your scheduled departure or arrival time changes by 30 minutes or more, we're happy to try to find other available flight options that meet your needs. Please keep the following in mind when you call:
  • Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
  • If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
  • Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express partners.
If we aren't able to find any other flights that meet your needs, requesting a refund may be an option. See the section below for more information.

Ticket refunds

When a schedule change happens, we try our best to provide you with options that minimize the disruption to your travel plans. In cases where the new flight options don't work for you and one of the following scenarios applies, we may be able to offer you a refund:
  • The scheduled departure or arrival time significantly changes.
  • The change causes issues with the overall length of the trip, such as making the connection time too short or significantly longer than it was originally.
  • If we are unable to accommodate you in the same cabin as purchased refunded either the full price or the difference in fare.
If you're not satisfied with your new itinerary and one of the above scenarios applies, please don't accept the itinerary in Manage Reservations. Instead, you can request a refund online.
It is reported that agents will now (12 March 2020) process refunds for 6-hour changes (down from the original new 25+ hours that replaced the previous long practice of 2-hours)
JetStream - Agency Rebooking Parameters

Related thread: Schedule change refund policy changed from 2+ hrs to 25+ hrs now 6+ hrs 12 March 2020

Archive Thread - Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 1, 22, 7:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
By the letter of the policy it is one free change after a qualifying schedule change event. ....
Not sure where that policy is published, it is neither in
Schedule Change Policies | United Airlines
or
Agency Rebooking Parameters

I have seen a "one time free change" in some emails after a schedule change but have never heard of that being enforced when better options occur, Seems to be if a reasonable request, it is possible.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 10, 22, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I need to get to DTW in December, and the most reasonable option (price was a factor, but not the only factor) was SFO-ORD on a red-eye 777 connecting to DTW.

If they were to swap in an aircraft without lie-flats, would that be grounds to get rerouted (either a day flight (those were about 50% more)) or through EWR?

I'm normally pretty easy going when it comes to stuff like this, but I already don't like the idea of a 4 hour red-eye (though the lie-flat makes it tolerable).

If it makes a difference, it looks like this is a split fare (that's probably why it was the cheapest option, by far) booked in:
SFO-ORD (Z) QAA7OKFN
ORD-DTW (P) WAA4OKFN

Fingers crossed nothing changes, but this is the only itinerary I've had this year that I've been worried about.
Old Nov 10, 22, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I need to get to DTW in December, and the most reasonable option (price was a factor, but not the only factor) was SFO-ORD on a red-eye 777 connecting to DTW.

If they were to swap in an aircraft without lie-flats, would that be grounds to get rerouted (either a day flight (those were about 50% more)) or through EWR?

I'm normally pretty easy going when it comes to stuff like this, but I already don't like the idea of a 4 hour red-eye (though the lie-flat makes it tolerable).

If it makes a difference, it looks like this is a split fare (that's probably why it was the cheapest option, by far) booked in:
SFO-ORD (Z) QAA7OKFN
ORD-DTW (P) WAA4OKFN

Fingers crossed nothing changes, but this is the only itinerary I've had this year that I've been worried about.
I wouldn't expect a swap at this point except some kind of (very) unusual irrops. But in my experience if they do swap, it is possible to get a reroute to something else with lieflat, regardless of faring (sometimes uphill battle, but possible).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 11, 22, 4:54 pm

Question.

a while ago, my itinerary changed for 4+ hours. I called UA and found an alternative that worked at the time.

ever since, the changes have been minor (+/-10 mins). However, the alternative I chose back then doesnt work as much now.

1) how flexible is UA is allowing second chances at rebooking?

2) also, what interests me includes a LH-operated flight, but it is a United flight number. Is this allowed?

thanks

Last edited by coltonatx; Nov 11, 22 at 6:25 pm
Old Nov 11, 22, 5:05 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by coltonatx View Post
Q1) how flexible is UA is allowing second chances at rebooking?

2) also, what interests me includes a LH-operated flight, but it is a United flight number. Is this allowed?
1) I have found that United is pretty good at this since they have the entire history in front of them.
2) You can ask for anything you want. It's up to the agent to either allow it or not.
Old Nov 18, 22, 7:23 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond
So I have a CMH-EWR-LAX itinerary booked for next March. The reason why I opted to book through Newark is because the EWR-LAX segment was on a 787-10 and I wanted to bid for a Premium Plus upgrade. my flights were changed about a week back where the transcon is now operated by a 757-200 i.e. no Premium Plus cabin. When I pull up my itinerary on UA's website there's a box that tells me I'm eligible for a free change so long as it's within 24 hours, same origin/destination, and what seems most problematic is that it's in the same cabin and booking class (W class, in this case). The problem is I booked through Capital One Travel so I can't change my itinerary on UA's website, and if I try to change through Capital One the only free option is a routing through ORD, which is actually cheaper than my original ticket so if I were to do that It'd be better to cancel and rebook. Ideally I'd still like Premium Plus out of Newark, and there are other flights that day operated by widebodies with "W" class availability but the problem is the CMH-EWR flight no longer has that fare class available, so I suppose that's why Capital One won't let me change to those flights. My two questions are: does it ever happen where UA might add seats back to a fare bucket, or once they're gone are they gone for good? And second, while I can't change my flight online with UA are there other ways where agents could make those changes (phone, email)?
Old Nov 18, 22, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weymar Osborne View Post
My two questions are: does it ever happen where UA might add seats back to a fare bucket, or once they're gone are they gone for good?
UA can (and does) increase or decrease inventory at will, depending upon sales trends vs. their projections. That said, in most cases inventory on a connecting flight would be considered together (a process called married inventory). However, since you routed CMH-EWR-LAX and paid a premium to do so, Im guessing that you actually have separate CMH-EWR and EWR-LAX fares, which means that the inventory would be considered independently.

And second, while I can't change my flight online with UA are there other ways where agents could make those changes (phone, email)?
Because you booked through Capital One. Theyre serving as your travel agent, and therefore they must make the change. You may be able to get UA to take over the ticket, although there is typically a $50 fee for them to do so.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 22, 3:12 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
UA can (and does) increase or decrease inventory at will, depending upon sales trends vs. their projections. That said, in most cases inventory on a connecting flight would be considered together (a process called married inventory). However, since you routed CMH-EWR-LAX and paid a premium to do so, Im guessing that you actually have separate CMH-EWR and EWR-LAX fares, which means that the inventory would be considered independently.

Because you booked through Capital One. Theyre serving as your travel agent, and therefore they must make the change. You may be able to get UA to take over the ticket, although there is typically a $50 fee for them to do so.
Ok thanks. At the time I booked the CMH-EWR-LAX routing was actually the cheapest. The new CMH-ORD-LAX option is in "S" class and is cheaper than what was available when I originally booked (I would assume because when I booked was outside the period Spirit and Southwest release fares for) so I suppose that does support that United can add inventory back to previously zeroed out fare classes. Also one more thing is that my fare class on the new EWR-LAX segment is in the "YN" fare class. I'm pretty sure that's an award fare for elites and credit card holders (I'm neither of those things) so I'm not sure what that means for my ability to change as well as my mileage earning.
Old Nov 19, 22, 5:44 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
I suppose that does support that United can add inventory back to previously zeroed out fare classes.
Not necessarily. At the time, there could have been S inventory but no bookable S fare filed.
Old Nov 20, 22, 4:44 pm
fg1

So we've been bit by the new postponement of NRT-DEN on one of the (((mistake))) 60k awards in March, now changed to BKK-NRT-LAX-DEN (we had done so well up until now!). Would like to parlay into SIN-SFO-DEN - do we have any chance at an override of the 250-mile rule? Zero for two so far (one chat, one call). Do I keep trying?
Old Nov 20, 22, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fg1 View Post
So we've been bit by the new postponement of NRT-DEN on one of the (((mistake))) 60k awards in March, now changed to BKK-NRT-LAX-DEN (we had done so well up until now!). Would like to parlay into SIN-SFO-DEN - do we have any chance at an override of the 250-mile rule? Zero for two so far (one chat, one call). Do I keep trying?
BKK-SIN-SFO-DEN will work, where BKK-SIN is on SQ. It might be in economy if this is okay with you.
Old Nov 21, 22, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok thanks. At the time I booked the CMH-EWR-LAX routing was actually the cheapest. The new CMH-ORD-LAX option is in "S" class and is cheaper than what was available when I originally booked (I would assume because when I booked was outside the period Spirit and Southwest release fares for) so I suppose that does support that United can add inventory back to previously zeroed out fare classes. Also one more thing is that my fare class on the new EWR-LAX segment is in the "YN" fare class. I'm pretty sure that's an award fare for elites and credit card holders (I'm neither of those things) so I'm not sure what that means for my ability to change as well as my mileage earning.
Im pretty sure everyone now has access to YN inventory, but yeah, thats an award fare class and it could definitely muck things up. Capital One shouldnt even have been able to put you into YN, as only United is supposed to be able to confirm tickets into the two-letter buckets. Thats very odd.
Old Nov 21, 22, 9:59 am
fg1

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
BKK-SIN-SFO-DEN will work, where BKK-SIN is on SQ. It might be in economy if this is okay with you.
We are going to be in southern Thailand, so was thinking we could hop to SIN from HKT or KBV and spend the night there. We were going to have to fly to BKK the night before anyway, so this seemed like a good way to reclaim a leg (and enjoy an overnight at SIN instead of BKK).

Search this Thread