Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 10, 22, 2:20 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: seawolf
Wiki Link
UA typically updates schedules on late Wednesday & Friday evenings into the next day morning (USA Central Time).

United's FAQ on Schedule Changes webpage is no more vague but the follow seems to be the present policy

-- reschedule flexibility for 30 minutes or more changes
  • Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
  • If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
  • Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express partners.

-- refunds for 2 hours or more changes
--- we may be able to offer you a refund:
  • The scheduled departure or arrival time changes by two hours or more.
  • The change causes issues with the overall length of the trip, such as making the connection time too short or significantly longer than it was originally.
  • If we are unable to accommodate you in the same cabin as purchased refunded either the full price or the difference in fare.
If you're not satisfied with your new itinerary and one of the above scenarios applies, please don't accept the itinerary in Manage Reservations. Instead, you can request a refund online.

Generally, UA is pretty good about being flexible if you are adversely affected by a schedule change. Most reasonable requests will likely be honored. Best to do some self-research prior to calling. Including opening up award space on UA operated flights. If you had a cleared upgrade on UA operated flight, UA will generally honor that in the rescheduling if space is available (but not requiring upgrade inventory space on the new flights)

During this weekend change period and sometimes for a day later, there can be weirdness in displayed aircraft or seating maps, such as Strange/Impossible Aircraft Assignments After UA's Weekend Schedule Update

Early in the COVID pandemic, UA initially change the policy for refund to require 24 hour change, but quickly walked that back to 6 hours. Under DOT and public pressure, UA returned to a 2 hour policy on 6 June 2020. 30 minute change is still the threshold for flexible rebooking

More specific information is found in UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling
  • Any segment goes from a non-stop to a connection
  • Misconnecting itinerary
  • Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least + / - 30 minutes
Change to alternate flight (original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule) or UA operated flight. If itinerary includes UA operated segment, UA schedule change rules apply to that segment {meaning changing only to UA operated flight}.
Same booking class. If original booking class unavailable, book lowest available (higher than original booking class, same cabin) up to and including M class. Contact UA if required class of service is unavailable.**
Change fee and add/collect waived - see "Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes" below the chart.
For 2 hours or more, refunds are an option unless you can be rescheduled to be under the 2 hours
Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more or cancelled flight with no protection
or
Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250 mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
Please see footnote below regarding the handling of United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact Uniteds Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.
================= older information =======================
The peak-time for changes is roughly 3-4 months prior to departure but changes occur anytime -- especially aircraft changes within an aircraft family (such as 777-200s or 737-800 vs 737-900).

Schedule changes
Rebooking options if a schedule change has affected your itinerary

If your scheduled departure or arrival time changes by 30 minutes or more, we're happy to try to find other available flight options that meet your needs. Please keep the following in mind when you call:
  • Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
  • If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
  • Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express partners.
If we aren't able to find any other flights that meet your needs, requesting a refund may be an option. See the section below for more information.

Ticket refunds

When a schedule change happens, we try our best to provide you with options that minimize the disruption to your travel plans. In cases where the new flight options don't work for you and one of the following scenarios applies, we may be able to offer you a refund:
  • The scheduled departure or arrival time significantly changes.
  • The change causes issues with the overall length of the trip, such as making the connection time too short or significantly longer than it was originally.
  • If we are unable to accommodate you in the same cabin as purchased refunded either the full price or the difference in fare.
If you're not satisfied with your new itinerary and one of the above scenarios applies, please don't accept the itinerary in Manage Reservations. Instead, you can request a refund online.
It is reported that agents will now (12 March 2020) process refunds for 6-hour changes (down from the original new 25+ hours that replaced the previous long practice of 2-hours)
JetStream - Agency Rebooking Parameters

Related thread: Schedule change refund policy changed from 2+ hrs to 25+ hrs now 6+ hrs 12 March 2020

Archive Thread - Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 15, 22, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
There were tight entry requirements in Japan, and now they are apparently removing all entry requirements. So why would they stick it out so long and then as things loosen up give up? ...
Isn't most of the traffic on that flight originating from / returning to Japan.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 16, 22, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway View Post
Booked trip to LHR in December and applied Plus Points to upgrade from premium plus. There was a schedule change that reduced connection time in IAD to 55 mins. This is getting quite tight depending on which terminal I arrive in to meet 45 min boarding start. Might holdout for another change or see if I can switch (wasn't quite 30 minutes total schedule change). The reservation no longer says "waitlist" for this leg (return overwater leg still says waitlist). While unlikely far out from departure, suppose PZ opened up. Would the upgrade clear? Is the lack of "waitlist" just a display glitch or is it relevant to being able to upgrade and I should accept/choose something else?

thank you.
Once the ticket change is done the +P requests will need to get re-synced to the new flights. A simple schedule change is o.k., but if you change flights then it needs to be re=applied.
Old Sep 16, 22, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
They won’t put you on ANA. You can get a refund and buy your ANA or Hawaiian flight or they should give you an option via SFO or GUM.
Yes they will. There is a protection agreement w/ ANA in place for HNL-TYO through end of March. If they're refusing ANA either HUCA or ask the agent to lookup the active protection agreements. I vote HUCA because if the agent doesn't know how to check protection agreements without being told, not sure I'd want them messing with my international ticket that will now be involving another carrier.

Edit: here are the currently active protection agreements. The HNL TYO agreement only says through end of October, but I've been assured those are updated to cover the most recent withdrawal through end of March 2023 and the internal version reflects that even if Jetstream isn't updated.
https://jetstream.united.com/#/sub-l...T00000Cbxq6UAB
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 16, 22, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
Yes they will. There is a protection agreement w/ ANA in place for HNL-TYO through end of March. If they're refusing ANA either HUCA or ask the agent to lookup the active protection agreements. I vote HUCA because if the agent doesn't know how to check protection agreements without being told, not sure I'd want them messing with my international ticket that will now be involving another carrier.

Edit: here are the currently active protection agreements. The HNL TYO agreement only says through end of October, but I've been assured those are updated to cover the most recent withdrawal through end of March 2023 and the internal version reflects that even if Jetstream isn't updated.
The original question was about an award ticket. These protection agreements wouldn't necessarily apply.
Old Sep 16, 22, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
The original question was about an award ticket. These protection agreements wouldn't necessarily apply.
Yes, it was an award ticket and ANA is incredibly stingy with awards out of HNL in Business - although they exist here and there. Economy award tickets on ANA aren't that difficult to find.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 16, 22, 3:47 pm

Yes, it was an award ticket and ANA is incredibly stingy with awards out of HNL in Business - although they exist here and there. Economy award tickets on ANA aren't that difficult to find.
I mean the protection agreement still applies to award tickets, just has to have the booking code available (I for business, X for economy). Obviously not listed on Jetstream because agencies don't deal with award tickets, but the protection agreement does cover award tickets and allow rebooking on ANA from UA if applicable booking codes are available..
Old Sep 16, 22, 4:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... the protection agreement does cover award tickets and allow rebooking on ANA from UA if applicable booking codes are available..
and that IF can be a major stumble block
Old Sep 16, 22, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mean the protection agreement still applies to award tickets, just has to have the booking code available (I for business, X for economy). Obviously not listed on Jetstream because agencies don't deal with award tickets, but the protection agreement does cover award tickets and allow rebooking on ANA from UA if applicable booking codes are available..
If X or I space is available, UA doesn't need any special protection agreement to access it.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 22, 10:30 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

OP here. Thanks for the suggestion,! Unfortunately, UA refused to rebook on NH.
Old Sep 17, 22, 7:09 am

Programs: UA:1K Marriott:Gold Hilton:Silver IHG:Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Once the ticket change is done the +P requests will need to get re-synced to the new flights. A simple schedule change is o.k., but if you change flights then it needs to be re=applied.
ok. thanks.
Old Sep 18, 22, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Silver
I got hit...but in a good way!

Was originally supposed to fly UA 2107 from LAS-ORD and then on to YYZ in January (in first) but got hit with a 36 minute schedule change to UA 1009 just the other day.

Searched all possible replacement flights and found an itinerary via EWR with a lie-flat 757-200 (UA 1390). So happy I will now have a semi-proper bed on that red eye! Here's hoping there's no equipment change between now and then.

The cherry on top was that it let me specify "J" booking class as part of the advanced search, and it let me rebook in to it as opposed to my original P class at no additional cost! Not sure exactly what difference, if any, it will make, but I'll take it!
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:30 pm

When it becomes official they can always add it back. With the Dollar so strong against the Yen the State isnt optimistic about Japanese tourism even when restrictions end.
It's official, Oct 11 for Japan, fully reopen. And this wasn't a surprise, it was pretty well known. HKG and Taiwan are also dropping restrictions.

-David
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
It's official, Oct 11 for Japan, fully reopen. And this wasn't a surprise, it was pretty well known. HKG and Taiwan are also dropping restrictions.

-David
At 143 Yen to Dollar I dont think the Japanese are going be filling airplanes anytime soon to the US.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 8:56 am
G.G

Thank you all for pouring your expertise in each case. I've been reading you religiously.

Originally Posted by G.G View Post
I've been hit! repeat, I've been hit! And hard. Originally it was Austin to London via Houston in late December. Now I'll have to depart 15 min earlier, stop in Chicago and arrive 30 min later. Flight numbers changed. Even my seat numbers changed (and I paid for Premium Economy!).
I decided to accept this change as my research shows ORD transfer should be doable and I have flexibility for earlier departure and late arrival. C gates to B gates in worst case scenario, walking through the Neon Light Tunnel. Hope weather is on my side as it would be mid/late December.

United app shows I can do a free one-time change or a refund. I'll save that option for now just in case.
Old Sep 25, 22, 7:57 pm

At 143 Yen to Dollar I don’t think the Japanese are going be filling airplanes anytime soon to the US.
You don't know that and there's a lot of pent up demand, and in this case the demand may be going in the opposite direction due to the strong dollar.

{United} kept the flight going during the pandemic, a route they've operated for multiple decades during positive and negative economic times, and then when restrictions were about to be lifted they decided to completely suspend the flight.

-David
truncated likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 25, 22 at 11:36 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)

Search this Thread