Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 2, 22, 4:51 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: seawolf
Wiki Link
UA typically updates schedules on late Wednesday & Friday evenings into the next day morning (USA Central Time).

United's FAQ on Schedule Changes webpage is no more vague but the follow seems to be the present policy

-- reschedule flexibility for 30 minutes or more changes
  • Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
  • If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
  • Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express® partners.

-- refunds for 2 hours or more changes
--- we may be able to offer you a refund:
  • The scheduled departure or arrival time changes by two hours or more.
  • The change causes issues with the overall length of the trip, such as making the connection time too short or significantly longer than it was originally.
  • If we are unable to accommodate you in the same cabin as purchased – refunded either the full price or the difference in fare.
If you're not satisfied with your new itinerary and one of the above scenarios applies, please don't accept the itinerary in Manage Reservations. Instead, you can request a refund online.

Generally, UA is pretty good about being flexible if you are adversely affected by a schedule change. Most reasonable requests will likely be honored. Best to do some self-research prior to calling. Including opening up award space on UA operated flights. If you had a cleared upgrade on UA operated flight, UA will generally honor that in the rescheduling if space is available (but not requiring upgrade inventory space on the new flights)

During this weekend change period and sometimes for a day later, there can be weirdness in displayed aircraft or seating maps, such as Strange/Impossible Aircraft Assignments After UA's Weekend Schedule Update

Early in the COVID pandemic, UA initially change the policy for refund to require 24 hour change, but quickly walked that back to 6 hours. Under DOT and public pressure, UA returned to a 2 hour policy on 6 June 2020. 30 minute change is still the threshold for flexible rebooking

More specific information is found in UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling
  • Any segment goes from a non-stop to a connection
  • Misconnecting itinerary
  • Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least + / - 30 minutes
Change to alternate flight (original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule) or UA operated flight. If itinerary includes UA operated segment, UA schedule change rules apply to that segment {meaning changing only to UA operated flight}.
Same booking class. If original booking class unavailable, book lowest available (higher than original booking class, same cabin) up to and including M class. Contact UA if required class of service is unavailable.**
Change fee and add/collect waived - see "Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes" below the chart.
For 2 hours or more, refunds are an option unless you can be rescheduled to be under the 2 hours
Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more or cancelled flight with no protection
or
Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250 mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
Please see footnote below regarding the handling of United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.
================= older information =======================
The peak-time for changes is roughly 3-4 months prior to departure but changes occur anytime -- especially aircraft changes within an aircraft family (such as 777-200s or 737-800 vs 737-900).

Schedule changes
Rebooking options if a schedule change has affected your itinerary

If your scheduled departure or arrival time changes by 30 minutes or more, we're happy to try to find other available flight options that meet your needs. Please keep the following in mind when you call:
  • Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
  • If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
  • Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express® partners.
If we aren't able to find any other flights that meet your needs, requesting a refund may be an option. See the section below for more information.

Ticket refunds

When a schedule change happens, we try our best to provide you with options that minimize the disruption to your travel plans. In cases where the new flight options don't work for you and one of the following scenarios applies, we may be able to offer you a refund:
  • The scheduled departure or arrival time significantly changes.
  • The change causes issues with the overall length of the trip, such as making the connection time too short or significantly longer than it was originally.
  • If we are unable to accommodate you in the same cabin as purchased – refunded either the full price or the difference in fare.
If you're not satisfied with your new itinerary and one of the above scenarios applies, please don't accept the itinerary in Manage Reservations. Instead, you can request a refund online.
It is reported that agents will now (12 March 2020) process refunds for 6-hour changes (down from the original new 25+ hours that replaced the previous long practice of 2-hours)
JetStream - Agency Rebooking Parameters

Related thread: Schedule change refund policy changed from 2+ hrs to 25+ hrs now 6+ hrs 12 March 2020

Archive Thread - Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 22, 22, 1:39 pm

Anyone know if UA will allow dropping a leg when it would result in a significant origin change? E.g. BOS-SFO-SIN but BOS-SFO will now cause a misconnect -- any possibility of just keeping the SFO-SIN leg? (UA-metal)
Old Jun 22, 22, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Zwiebelbauer View Post
Anyone know if UA will allow dropping a leg when it would result in a significant origin change? E.g. BOS-SFO-SIN but BOS-SFO will now cause a misconnect -- any possibility of just keeping the SFO-SIN leg? (UA-metal)
Generally this won't be permitted, especially with a cross country flight being dropped, generally UA will let you either change connection point or book you on an earlier flight. If you were flying SMF-SFO you might have a better chance but dropping a 3,000 mi flight usually wouldn't be permitted without re-faring the ticket.
Old Jun 22, 22, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N104UA View Post
Generally this won't be permitted, especially with a cross country flight being dropped, generally UA will let you either change connection point or book you on an earlier flight. If you were flying SMF-SFO you might have a better chance but dropping a 3,000 mi flight usually wouldn't be permitted without re-faring the ticket.
I disagree; I think this is well worth asking about if the connection time is now negative (although if there's an alternate UA flight that would work, I assume you'd rather just take that). UA isn't likely to get too bent out of shape about people dropping legs due to schedule changes -- it's not like this makes for a particularly convenient way to engage in hidden-city ticketing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I disagree; I think this is well worth asking about if the connection time is now negative (although if there's an alternate UA flight that would work, I assume you'd rather just take that). UA isn't likely to get too bent out of shape about people dropping legs due to schedule changes -- it's not like this makes for a particularly convenient way to engage in hidden-city ticketing.
I think it is a YMMV situation. There is a chance you get an agent that will do it for you, however I don't think you will find many that will. There are also usually 5 flights between BOS and SFO on a daily basis, I think it it were a situation where there was only one flight a day and now it causes a negative connection time or an overnight it may not work.

OP can also use this to their advantage if they want, they could reroute via NRT or HND on ANA, just feed the agent the code share flight numbers.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
some nasty schedule changes last night. Lots of July domestic flight cancellations for me. Ugh.
atojbk likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
some nasty schedule changes last night. Lots of July domestic flight cancellations for me. Ugh.
UA is cutting 50 daily flights out of EWR for July. If you have flights to/from/through EWR next month you better check your flights.
.https://skift.com/blog/united-airlin...reduce-delays/
Old Jun 24, 22, 7:10 am

I posted this in the award booking thread as well, but cross posting here for more visibility. We're on an economy award CLE - EWR - CDG this coming Sunday. This is a married segment UA 1891 - UA 57. There was a schedule change and we are eligible for a free change in flights but the agent claims that they cannot change the UA 1891 flight to an earlier flight because it breaks the married segment. He also doesn't want to cancel the itinerary and rebook the segments individually because UA 57 has no seats and we could lose the seats during the rebooking. Anyone know if there's any other way just to change that CLE - EWR leg?
Old Jun 24, 22, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by calmasahinducow View Post
I posted this in the award booking thread as well, but cross posting here for more visibility. We're on an economy award CLE - EWR - CDG this coming Sunday. This is a married segment UA 1891 - UA 57. There was a schedule change and we are eligible for a free change in flights but the agent claims that they cannot change the UA 1891 flight to an earlier flight because it breaks the married segment. He also doesn't want to cancel the itinerary and rebook the segments individually because UA 57 has no seats and we could lose the seats during the rebooking. Anyone know if there's any other way just to change that CLE - EWR leg?
If there was a change of more than 30 minutes in your departure time from CLE or arrival time in CDG, you are eligible to rebook onto alternate flights, and what the agent told you is bogus. HUCA.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Got a notification last night that AC moved the YVR-LHR time to 6:20pm. Now I can pass the 60min connection time. Just need to talk someone into changing it back....whoever that is--lol

I'll start with UA's facebook team...always had good luck with them.
Old Jun 24, 22, 10:27 pm

Is there any circumstance under which UA would allow me to change the return airport fun Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg?

There’s been a 7hr itinerary change, which leaves me with a very inconvenient layover in JNB. I’d much rather pay for my own flight on an alternate airline to JNB and continue with my itinerary.
Old Jun 25, 22, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by coltonatx View Post
Is there any circumstance under which UA would allow me to change the return airport fun Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg?

There’s been a 7hr itinerary change, which leaves me with a very inconvenient layover in JNB. I’d much rather pay for my own flight on an alternate airline to JNB and continue with my itinerary.
I am assuming your flight ex JNB is on UA. If so this is not an unreasonable request. You can also ask UA to put you on an earlier flight, if you can find the routing you like on united.com you should be able to ask for it. You could also ask to see if it would be possible to fly via CPT if you can find a short connection time
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 2:34 pm

I have a simple flight from EWR to MCO. There was a schedule change of a little more than 30 minutes. When I logged in, I received a notice to make one free change. However, the app does not allow me to do it and upon calling United, I was told changes are only allowed for 2 hours plus. This conflicts the info in the wiki which says possible changes for 30 mins and refunds for two hours. Has there been an update to this policy or do I need to call and get someone else? While it is no big deal, I was hoping to change the flight time.

TIA
Old Jun 26, 22, 2:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iexaltu View Post
I have a simple flight from EWR to MCO. There was a schedule change of a little more than 30 minutes. When I logged in, I received a notice to make one free change. However, the app does not allow me to do it and upon calling United, I was told changes are only allowed for 2 hours plus. This conflicts the info in the wiki which says possible changes for 30 mins and refunds for two hours. Has there been an update to this policy or do I need to call and get someone else? While it is no big deal, I was hoping to change the flight time.

TIA
You understanding is correct. Greater than 30-minute change allows for
"Change to alternate UA flight(same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)"
are you doing same day?
shdflyer and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by iexaltu View Post
When I logged in, I received a notice to make one free change. However, the app does not allow me to do it
Does it work on the website? I have sometimes been presented with a link to change flights within the schedule change notification on the website.
Old Jun 26, 22, 4:56 pm

Programs: ba silver
I would actually keep the earlier flight. AC has been cancelling many flights and it does not take much for you to be stranded.

You can either stay in the sterile area, the MLL is ok.

Or if there is not much of a wait you can enter Canada, catch the Skytrain and be in Vancouver in 30 minutes. When I travel I tend to book flights with a longer layover, unless I have time constraints, than spend a couple of hours in a transit lounge.

Search this Thread