Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
They need one in SIN.... especially with the LAX nonstop coming into service. The Premier line / J line was ridiculous the time I flew and only the SFO nonstop existed. With 2 daily nonstops, they need to dedicate a spot for strictly GS and J pax to check in.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by K2BF
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I departed PEK earlier today. The GS check-in counter was there and fully operational. I asked how long it had been since they brought it back and was told "just under a week."'

Good news. (And I hope this was the result of people writing in)
Originally Posted by wxguy
There was also one at HKG last week. Do I recall it was gone for a while?
Sweet.

Originally Posted by jjmoore
They need one in SIN.... especially with the LAX nonstop coming into service. The Premier line / J line was ridiculous the time I flew and only the SFO nonstop existed. With 2 daily nonstops, they need to dedicate a spot for strictly GS and J pax to check in.
Yeah, that sucked. Fingers crossed.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I departed PEK earlier today. The GS check-in counter was there and fully operational. I asked how long it had been since they brought it back and was told "just under a week."'

That's really good news. I could not believe it when they took it out of PVG, the premier line is often longer than the regular line and with several flights leaving in proximity you arrive at the counter and just wait. I will see this coming week if it is back in PVG.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Little touch out of OKC.

Out of OKC called by agent to podium before boarding started. Given small plastic bag with note card from UA OKC General Manager along with three York peppermint patties. Completely surprised and appreciated the thought. Agent said thank you for being GS.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Out of OKC called by agent to podium before boarding started. Given small plastic bag with note card from UA OKC General Manager along with three York peppermint patties. Completely surprised and appreciated the thought. Agent said thank you for being GS.
I flew out of OKC back in May and had no treatment like this. Not complaining at all but just saying it's not consistent

Enjoy the patties.

-RM
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Last time out of OKC did not either. Already have.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:54 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Last time out of OKC did not either. Already have.
I follow a guy on instagram who's an OKC based GS, he posted about this other day, I think they just started doing this last week.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:30 am

Taking care of GS

RTWSTARALLIANCE,
Glad you enjoyed the treats. This is something I started just a few months ago to thank our GS customers. To my knowledge I'm the only United location doing this at the moment. It's nothing more than my way of thanking GS for flying United. If you ever have any issues out of Okc that I can help you with please don't hesitate to contact me.
Rick

Last edited by OKCGMUA; Sep 13, 2017 at 7:51 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I want to buy a First class ticket to HNL/OGG and get a saver award ticket for my wife. Ive looked at flights, and there are many east coast routings with >5 open F seats.

Based on the wiki above:

Is this still possible?
How does one accomplish this?
- Buy First class ticket and then call GS number to get award?
- Call up front and describe what flights i want and what i want to do?

Do specific fare codes need to be open?

Thanks in advance for assistance..
T
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
simply call the GS line

Call the GS line, tell them you want to purchase a first class ticket and a saver fare for your spouse in the same cabin. The agent will check to see if space is available for both the first class ticket and available seats for an award. If both are available the agent will first ticket your reservation and then open up the saver award space. I did this yesterday for a european ticket. The other option is to purchase your ticket and if a saver award is available in coach, you can at the same time ask for an instrument supported upgrade. i have been offered this option but have never used it.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
GS getting cheap on us

It has happened twice in a few months now, that I had mx or wx mis-connects and the GS agent tried to re-book an inferior itinerary to stay in the original fare class or lower.

The first time, the agent claimed there was no availability on the next convenient flight (I was originally booked in Z, but there were still C, D, and J seats).

Last week, the agent re-booked me in T (I was booked in Z), claiming it was a single-cabin aircraft. It was 2 cabin RJ and I was able to fix this with a separate call to GS. Very annoying though.

I wonder if UA is incentivizing them to do this.....
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by porciuscato
It has happened twice in a few months now, that I had mx or wx mis-connects and the GS agent tried to re-book an inferior itinerary to stay in the original fare class or lower.

The first time, the agent claimed there was no availability on the next convenient flight (I was originally booked in Z, but there were still C, D, and J seats).
That's pretty bad, especially given that the 1K desk has rebooked me positive space (P -> Z) when I missed my flight (late to the airport).
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:25 am

Is that really a big deal? I've never waited more than 1-2 people in the 1K/Polaris line even if Y and Premier are long. No downside, but not sure it's all that much benefit.

Originally Posted by edcho
Known issue for many years (atleast to me). Also affects 1K instant upgrades to PN.
Anyone know if you can call after a CPU and ask them to change PN to R so you can do SDC on the app?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Is that really a big deal? I've never waited more than 1-2 people in the 1K/Polaris line even if Y and Premier are long. No downside, but not sure it's all that much benefit.
Absolutely in some airports. SIN especially comes to mind.
iluv2fly and uanj like this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Absolutely in some airports. SIN especially comes to mind.
Yes, but the comment earlier was specifically about PEK airport. I'm questioning if that really matters or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.