Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
From what I was told, GS agents can no longer force any upgrade (GPU, RPU or CPU) when T《 24. It all goes over to gate control. You are SOL, according to the agent I spoke with if trying get to force an upgrade inside T24.
I called GS line on Thur. night to apply a GPU to a colleagues GRU itinerary. I got the same msg about nothing can be done at less that T-24.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
I was also told T -24 your status doesn't count if you weren't on the list before that mark
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I called GS line on Thur. night to apply a GPU to a colleagues GRU itinerary. I got the same msg about nothing can be done at less that T-24.
This seems like a really stupid change. I have probably done this 15 times this year. In many of those cases I was on a B or full Y fare and the upgrade had not gone through. Every time I called they immediately put it through.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
That is my understanding also from my phone call. Even if PN or RN is showing at 24 hours or less. There's no debating here. Benefits are eroding. Please write in.

From what I was told, GS agents can no longer force any upgrade (GPU, RPU or CPU) when T《 24. It all goes over to gate control. You are SOL, according to the agent I spoke with if trying get to force an upgrade inside T24.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:54 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Been told the exact same thing. An instrument does not help in this case.

(As long as there are two F seats or fewer.)
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
Was PN available? Or were you trying to clear without PN?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by solma
Was PN available? Or were you trying to clear without PN?
According to GS agent, that didn't even matter. At less than T-24 she could not apply GPU or do any sort of upgrade.... according to her the pnr was under gate/airport control.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
According to GS agent, that didn't even matter. At less than T-24 she could not apply GPU or do any sort of upgrade.... according to her the pnr was under gate/airport control.
If it's true, it's a downgrade for all customers no matter which status. As if it's under gate contro you can't upgrade even if R is available within T24. This is a real downgrade for people who purchase last minute ticket.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: UA GS
If it's true, it's a downgrade for all customers no matter which status. As if it's under gate contro you can't upgrade even if R is available within T24. This is a real downgrade for people who purchase last minute ticket.
There's PN1 on today's ORD-NRT and even United.com will let me book the flight with a GPU and confirm it at booking. So maybe it applies to clearing a waitlist but it would not apply to last minute tickets.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
My understanding is that applying a GPU/RPU (to a previously purchased ticket) under T24 is technically not allowed. However, there seem to be many posts about people getting them pushed through by agents. I probably wouldn't try it at the gate but who knows, stranger things have happened.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
My understanding is that applying a GPU/RPU (to a previously purchased ticket) under T24 is technically not allowed.... .
All that is explicitly disallowed is waitlisting under T-24

Such as here
New waitlist requests for Regional Premier Upgrades can be made until 24 hours prior to departure.
Same wording in the GPU T&Cs

People have cleared with new/old bookings when space was available for some time. It does create an inequity with those waitlisted but not clearing.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
That is my understanding also from my phone call. Even if PN or RN is showing at 24 hours or less. There's no debating here. Benefits are eroding. Please write in.
Seems to me that this is another disguised effort by UA to sell more upgrades to kettles at OLCI at the expense of HVFs... I have already directly felt the effects by not being able to clear CPUs ...
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Seems to me that this is another disguised effort by UA to sell more upgrades to kettles at OLCI at the expense of HVFs... I have already directly felt the effects by not being able to clear CPUs ...
Kirby's fingerprints all over this
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Originally Posted by jjmoore
as I mentioned in a previous post even a T -72 if you don't have >3 for sale same class companion standard award is also gone I really don't know what benefits are left for business travelers that on a lot of occasions make last minute bookings which is way more expensive than the excursion fares,no upgrades no companion saver award in same class of travel; question is what's next ?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by manstein58
Kirby's fingerprints all over this
Sad!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.