Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bgarGS
I am GS and have not received anything.
+1
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The end of year items for some GS have typically only gone to some GS -- not all GS nor others of lesser status.

XMAS cards have been know to go to a broader population.
Strange, I haven't gotten my GS notification yet for this year but I did get the gift
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The end of year items for some GS have typically only gone to some GS -- not all GS nor others of lesser status.

XMAS cards have been know to go to a broader population.

Do you think there is a correlation between receiving the gift and GS requalification?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by roxie
Do you think there is a correlation between receiving the gift and GS requalification?
Based on reports on previous year GS gifts and some multi-year GS (and likely to repeat) reporting no ggiftyet this year or in past past years -- there does not appear to be a 1-to-1 relationship.
This question comes up each year and no one has claimed there was such a relationship.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:38 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by roxie
Lifetime GS but no gift.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Gift

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Lifetime GS but no gift.
They should gift t you a 737
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by manstein58
They should gift t you a 737
There must be a few 747s gathering dust. I'll take one of those...

PS Now not being facetious. Do we know what's happening to all the old 747's? Are they going to other airlines?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
GS for years, never received gift. Seems from other years gifts went to super-high spenders. I just keep muddling along at $62-65K (on UA metal) each year. Strikingly consistent year-to-year based on my spreadsheet!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
GS for years, never received gift. Seems from other years gifts went to super-high spenders. I just keep muddling along at $62-65K (on UA metal) each year. Strikingly consistent year-to-year based on my spreadsheet!
Must have been that extra $20k I spent that warranted a couple cans of coffee
kirkwoodj and BrianSF like this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
12 year GS and no gift...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's not have everyone who does not received a GS gift make a separate post. Enough have posted to make it clear not all GSs have received the annual gift (and nothing new about that, as that has been the situation in previous years), there is little to be gain for the community to have dozens and dozens of "not me either" posts. You can start a list in in the wiki if anyone really sees value in that.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by JDT1955
There must be a few 747s gathering dust. I'll take one of those...

PS Now not being facetious. Do we know what's happening to all the old 747's? Are they going to other airlines?
I was told on one of the lat flights coming back to SFO that they are all being flown to the airplane graveyard in AZ
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by BrianSF
I was told on one of the lat flights coming back to SFO that they are all being flown to the airplane graveyard in AZ
AZ for storage and specific parting from them, MS (Tupelo) for full scrapping.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I agree. As a FY18 GS hopeful one of the things I was looking forward to was bypassing the notoriously horrid EWR PreCheck lanes which, even though they are automated, often finds me waiting for 20-30 minutes as only one is open.
GS Team at EWR told me yesterday that, once new facility opens (in January 1), an elevator will take PAX with TSA PreCheck to head of security line. Those without TSA Pre will be left to their own devices
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by manstein58
GS Team at EWR told me yesterday that, once new facility opens (in January 1), an elevator will take PAX with TSA PreCheck to head of security line. Those without TSA Pre will be left to their own devices
Well that is promising news. I miss the simplicity of the door that opened into the security area from the GS check-in area. I have had several people make comments when the Airserv folks have opened the lane for me to walk down to the TSA agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.