Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Is there a limit on the following benefits? Specifically, for a flight that is T>3, could a GS book 3 award tickets and apply GPUs to all 3?

• GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.

Do you need PN>0 to upgrade XN or can the upgrade be waitlisted if PN=0?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Is there a limit on the following benefits? Specifically, for a flight that is T>3, could a GS book 3 award tickets and apply GPUs to all 3?

I do not recall there being reports of any limits. You can definitely waitlist if PN=0. Did it just 2 weeks ago (and it cleared 3 hours later)
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn

I booked 3 economy saver award seats and upgraded all with GPU's earlier this month for a November SFO-TPE flight with XN0, T9, PN5.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Based on availability. Good luck. ^
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:24 am

i haven't flown domestic in a while, but as GS, when I tried to apply an RPU to a domestic flight next week, I was told they couldn't clear it because they only had 2 revenue seats for sale, and they have to leave 2 open. I checked again today, and they now have 3 revenue seats for sale, but they still said they can't clear the upgrade. Anyone know the rules for the number of seats they must keep open before clearing upgrades?
available fair classes right now are: F3 A2 JN3 C3 D2 Z2 ZN2 P0 PN0 R0 RN0
So there are 3 first class seats available, should I try again?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dag16
i haven't flown domestic in a while, but as GS, when I tried to apply an RPU to a domestic flight next week, I was told they couldn't clear it because they only had 2 revenue seats for sale, and they have to leave 2 open. I checked again today, and they now have 3 revenue seats for sale, but they still said they can't clear the upgrade. Anyone know the rules for the number of seats they must keep open before clearing upgrades?
available fair classes right now are: F3 A2 JN3 C3 D2 Z2 ZN2 P0 PN0 R0 RN0
So there are 3 first class seats available, should I try again?
Recent reports from GS agents have been all over the map. However, I've noticed that the algorithm will hold two seats to the gate in pretty much all cases now (excepting selling TODs). I think the most commonly quoted number of seats GS won't force an upgrade into have been quoted at 2 or 3.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by findark
Recent reports from GS agents have been all over the map. However, I've noticed that the algorithm will hold two seats to the gate in pretty much all cases now (excepting selling TODs). I think the most commonly quoted number of seats GS won't force an upgrade into have been quoted at 2 or 3.
That matches my observations too. Of course there are flights that are zeroed out. Could be a result of rebookings, or revenue bookings too. I think this makes sense because if you were a first class passenger that needed to be rebooked due to a misconnect or something else, it would peeve you to no end that there are no more first class seats hours before departure and you have to either way many hours for a first class seat, or sit in coach due to an IRROP.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
That matches my observations too. Of course there are flights that are zeroed out. Could be a result of rebookings, or revenue bookings too. I think this makes sense because if you were a first class passenger that needed to be rebooked due to a misconnect or something else, it would peeve you to no end that there are no more first class seats hours before departure and you have to either way many hours for a first class seat, or sit in coach due to an IRROP.
Yes, I've generally been very happy with what seems to be only clearing the last two seats at the gate. A little annoyed on the routes where they all disappear anyway, but SDC + last minute fares actually account for more than most people think (TODs still another piece though).

Also useful for when e.g. I SDCed up one flight to avoid a pending IRROPS disaster, lost my CPU, but went to the top of the list and there were still 2 seats left. One went to a paid F pax who did the same SDC I did, and I took the last one.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:08 pm

Yes, I've generally been very happy with what seems to be only clearing the last two seats at the gate. A little annoyed on the routes where they all disappear anyway, but SDC + last minute fares actually account for more than most people think (TODs still another piece though).

Also useful for when e.g. I SDCed up one flight to avoid a pending IRROPS disaster, lost my CPU, but went to the top of the list and there were still 2 seats left. One went to a paid F pax who did the same SDC I did, and I took the last one.
yes, i've definitely been the victor in such situations as well, last minute flight changes and still getting a seat up front, so I understand.
thanks everyone for the thoughts.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Quick question. My wife and I have frequently taken advantage of the perk that if I buy C internationally and she buys Y, we can upgrade her with a GPU at booking. Does the same apply domestically, e.g., I buy F to Hawaii and upgrade her at booking from Y with an RPU? Would simplify our lives considerably...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by uanj
That's really good news. I could not believe it when they took it out of PVG, the premier line is often longer than the regular line and with several flights leaving in proximity you arrive at the counter and just wait. I will see this coming week if it is back in PVG.
I just thought I’d note that I was through CDG last Sunday and GS line / desk is back there too.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP

I'm finding UA to be uber stingy with the CPUs these days. I find myself in coach much more this past year. Could be random luck, could be TODs, I'll never know. I also find the phone agents to not be knowledgeable in their policies regarding upgrades and space availability.

[just a quick rant]
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm really starting to think that there's a hidden PN class. I wonder who else has seen this happen?

For the second time this year I called in and applied instruments to a reservation. This time it was for friends. The RPUs came from my account but the flyer is not me. The first time I saw this happen it was a ticket I booked for myself and called in to apply a GPU.

Anyway, five flights in the reservation including a red-eye SFO-IAH. The PNR has two pax. It's a 739 so 20 F seats and flight is showing F8...P4 PN0. Agent applies the RPUs to all flights and tells me SFO-IAH and one other flight will be waitlisted. She asks what seats to assign and I told her it's up to her. As she's going through the flights she says, "Wow, I see it pulled inventory for SFO-IAH and it's letting me pick first class seats but when I applied the RPU there was no PN space." Sure enough, the flight was upgraded to PN for both pax in the PNR and went to F6....P4 PN0. So, F lost 2, P stayed at 4 and PN is still 0.

Is there a hidden PN class or inventory? The fact that it cleared immediately tells me there's at least an inventory management program running in the background (and constantly, not just once an hour type of thing) that will clear PN space. I wish we knew how this worked or when it would clear.

-RM
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by JDT1955
Quick question. My wife and I have frequently taken advantage of the perk that if I buy C internationally and she buys Y, we can upgrade her with a GPU at booking. Does the same apply domestically, e.g., I buy F to Hawaii and upgrade her at booking from Y with an RPU? Would simplify our lives considerably...
Consider your life simplified...... it works domestically just as you described in your example. You can also upgrade an award ticket from Y to F (2 cabin craft).
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'm really starting to think that there's a hidden PN class. I wonder who else has seen this happen?

For the second time this year I called in and applied instruments to a reservation. This time it was for friends. The RPUs came from my account but the flyer is not me. The first time I saw this happen it was a ticket I booked for myself and called in to apply a GPU.

Anyway, five flights in the reservation including a red-eye SFO-IAH. The PNR has two pax. It's a 739 so 20 F seats and flight is showing F8...P4 PN0. Agent applies the RPUs to all flights and tells me SFO-IAH and one other flight will be waitlisted. She asks what seats to assign and I told her it's up to her. As she's going through the flights she says, "Wow, I see it pulled inventory for SFO-IAH and it's letting me pick first class seats but when I applied the RPU there was no PN space." Sure enough, the flight was upgraded to PN for both pax in the PNR and went to F6....P4 PN0. So, F lost 2, P stayed at 4 and PN is still 0.

Is there a hidden PN class or inventory? The fact that it cleared immediately tells me there's at least an inventory management program running in the background (and constantly, not just once an hour type of thing) that will clear PN space. I wish we knew how this worked or when it would clear.

-RM
Yes, happened to me twice. Was happy but frustrated at the same time. Spent like an hour looking at all different routes to guage which waitlist would be best odds. Could have saved so much time if it just showed PN from the start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.