Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by hdfdisk
I thought he can upgrade his wife to PN even if PN is not available? (Since he already has a paid business fare ticket)
You are correct. PN does not need to be available. Just book a W or better fare and they will force the UG as long as there is at least one revenue seat available.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
You are correct. PN does not need to be available. Just book a W or better fare and they will force the UG as long as there is at least one revenue seat available.
So wxguy's post is incorrect? I wish some of this was in writing. How is a regular GS supposed to know any of this? All UA tells you officially is that you can upgrade award tix.

It feels like the top UA status is actually GS-FT.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by dangerhsun
Assuming I am booked in J on an international ticket - are these my options?

1. Book economy Saver Award and use GPU to upgrade her
2. If economy Saver Award is not available, GS line will make it available

OR

1. Book business class Saver Award - and if it is not available GS line will make it available

OR

1. Pay for W or higher ticket for my wife, and use GPU to upgrade her to business
As long as you book a paid J ticket in any of the J cabin fares (P, Z, D, C, J) for yourself (the GS), you can use any of the methods you listed to get your wife in the same cabin as you. I typically use the two saver award methods the most and find them exceptionally valuable. However, you must be flying United metal!

A note on the previous posters replies, neither IN nor PN need to be available for any of the methods you listed to work.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Forcing the upgrade requires an instrument?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
Forcing the upgrade requires an instrument?
Yes. Either GPU or RPU is still needed for the upgrade.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:19 pm

Companion Award Ticket Booking Status?

I just qualified for Global Services in 2107. We have booked my wife a flight using my award miles out of my account from SFO to LHR. Luckily, saver miles on Business/Polaris were available which was a nice surprise. I am not traveling on the outgoing flight, but we are returning together.

The question I have is when she travel herself outbound, what will her boarding pass say? Will it say Global Services sine the flight was booked using my miles? She is a general member with no status. Will she be able to get free bag check and, be able to check in at the GS line it the international SFO counter, or board with GS passengers? I know they extended benefits to companions before even when not traveling together, but I think it changed. Luckily she is in business class so she can board in Group 1 I think, but if we had her booked in economy, would she be in Boarding Group 5?

Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BrianSF
The question I have is when she travel herself outbound, what will her boarding pass say?
Members now travel on their own status. She will be treated as a GM, but as a Business Class passenger, will get many of the same benefits that status would normally confer (though no GS benefits).
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BrianSF
The question I have is when she travel herself outbound, what will her boarding pass say? Will it say Global Services sine the flight was booked using my miles? She is a general member with no status. Will she be able to get free bag check and, be able to check in at the GS line it the international SFO counter, or board with GS passengers? I know they extended benefits to companions before even when not traveling together, but I think it changed. Luckily she is in business class so she can board in Group 1 I think, but if we had her booked in economy, would she be in Boarding Group 5? ....
Short answer is no to all (except if in economy the BG would be 3 or higher). The inheriting of the elites status on award bookings when away just under 2 years ago. I the privilege of GS members on non-accompanied travel to use the GS lounges is also a thing of the past.

The long term solution is once you are a MMers, you can then designate her as your MM companion and she will than have GS status.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Short answer is no to all (except if in economy the BG would be 3 or higher). The inheriting of the elites status on award bookings when away just under 2 years ago. I the privilege of GS members on non-accompanied travel to use the GS lounges is also a thing of the past.

The long term solution is once you are a MMers, you can then designate her as your MM companion and she will than have GS status.
Thanks for the clarification. We are lucky this time for getting into a confimed business class. This should give her BG 1 as well as two checked bags for free (even though she may not even check one). If it were economy, since she would fly on her own status, it would be just 1 checked back and the lower BG if I read the policy right. I'm not a MM yet, so I can't extend Gold to her yet unfortunately.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Great info all around. Thanks guys.
Dose a GS still need to purchase W and above fare to be able to apply GPU or RPU for himself?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:55 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by HowieG
Great info all around. Thanks guys.
Dose a GS still need to purchase W and above fare to be able to apply GPU or RPU for himself?
GPU - yes (international only)
RPU - no
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
As long as you book a paid J ticket in any of the J cabin fares (P, Z, D, C, J) for yourself (the GS), you can use any of the methods you listed to get your wife in the same cabin as you. I typically use the two saver award methods the most and find them exceptionally valuable. However, you must be flying United metal!

A note on the previous posters replies, neither IN nor PN need to be available for any of the methods you listed to work.
From my experience this is not entirely correct. Method one- the original post said if saver economy is not available a GS agent can open it. This is only true if T space is available. If not, there is no way to book a saver economy and upgrade. I've run into this a few times. However, as stated above, you can always book a companion into saver business. If that inventory is not available they will open it as long as there is at least one seat available for purchase.

It is confusing because a GS agent can always open up saver business for a companion but they cannot always open up saver economy. With the dearth of international FC now I am always seeking ways to use my GPUs before they expire so I an always trying saver Y first to then upgrade.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:47 pm

Waited on hold 10 minutes to speak to a GS agent for an issue I had today. That's the second time this week with a >5 min hold time. I realize this isn't a scientific honestly can't remember the last time I had to wait that long as a 1K.

i understand that the GS agents are specially trained and have special capabilities, but do they not roll over to other agents during peak loads?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by villox
Waited on hold 10 minutes to speak to a GS agent for an issue I had today. That's the second time this week with a >5 min hold time. I realize this isn't a scientific honestly can't remember the last time I had to wait that long as a 1K.

i understand that the GS agents are specially trained and have special capabilities, but do they not roll over to other agents during peak loads?
Much IRROPS this weekend, due to big storms on both coasts. Plus, many new GSs trying out the service for the first time. An agent told me today that there's a "NEW GS" banner that appears when one calls. [I tied up a great agent for over an hour yesterday, with a very complicated set of award/upgrade tickets. Sorry!]
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
Much IRROPS this weekend, due to big storms on both coasts. Plus, many new GSs trying out the service for the first time. An agent told me today that there's a "NEW GS" banner that appears when one calls. [I tied up a great agent for over an hour yesterday, with a very complicated set of award/upgrade tickets. Sorry!]
I figured that was the case but I guess that also means they do not put GS over to other agents if there's a peak load?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.