Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by pdxflyer12
Hi All,
I'm looking to book flights home from SYD to the US and I was wondering if I booked an Air Zealand flight from SYD to AKL using United miles and then booked AKL to SFO via cash on United or Air Zealand the next day would I be protected if for whatever reason the SYD - AKL flight got delayed/cancelled? Guessing no since the flights would be on separate tickets? While I rather just book the SYD - SFO direct, the lack of J award space on SYD - USA United flights, coupled with the decent cash prices of AKL - USA J, compared to SYD - USA J prices has me looking at other options.

For example:
3/23/2018- SYD - AKL on the 6:55 PM Air New Zealand flight booked with miles
3/24/2018 - AKL - SFO either on the United or Air New Zealand flight booked with cash

Thanks,
PDXflyer12
Officially, no protection. However I think an overnight should be plenty of time and the flat tire rule generally means that they are somewhat forgiving.

That's a nice one-way P fare in the AKL market!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Officially, no protection. However I think an overnight should be plenty of time and the flat tire rule generally means that they are somewhat forgiving.

That's a nice one-way P fare in the AKL market!
Thanks for the info! On the AKL - SFO leg would booking one of the carriers offer any additional protection/forgives if something goes wrong over the other? Not sure the right way to look at it...book Air Zealand on AKL-SFO since the first leg was on them or book with united since the SYD-AKL leg was booked with united miles. If it matters I'm a united gold.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by pdxflyer12
Thanks for the info! On the AKL - SFO leg would booking one of the carriers offer any additional protection/forgives if something goes wrong over the other? Not sure the right way to look at it...book Air Zealand on AKL-SFO since the first leg was on them or book with united since the SYD-AKL leg was booked with united miles. If it matters I'm a united gold.
Yeah.. hard for me to say for sure, since UA would look kindly on your since you have status and American carriers are generally more flexible about these sorts of things, but NZ would also have cause to be lenient since it would be an own-metal IRROP which caused it.

But either way, it would take a full cancel of your SYD-AKL to put you in that spot, which is sufficiently rare I wouldn't worry about it and book the AKL-SFO you like better.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Yeah.. hard for me to say for sure, since UA would look kindly on your since you have status and American carriers are generally more flexible about these sorts of things, but NZ would also have cause to be lenient since it would be an own-metal IRROP which caused it.

But either way, it would take a full cancel of your SYD-AKL to put you in that spot, which is sufficiently rare I wouldn't worry about it and book the AKL-SFO you like better.
Appreciate the help. Only thing I forgot to mention is I have an HTI - SYD flight scheduled to get into SYD at ~3:30 PM, on Virgin Australia which is more than enough time to connect, just adds in a few more variables.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Curious what someone might choose, EWR-ORD - AA 738 or UA 772. Timing is basically the same, price is basically the same, and elite benefits are roughly the same between the 2. Flight would be in Y
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If all are equal, for a 2 hour flight, I guess I wouldn't care. However, I'd choose the 772 for the IFE/possible lie-flat upgrade (perfect use for an expiring RPU also).
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by aacharya
If all are equal, for a 2 hour flight, I guess I wouldn't care. However, I'd choose the 772 for the IFE/possible lie-flat upgrade (perfect use for an expiring RPU also).
All else really is equal. It's a time difference of 25 minutes on departure, price difference of about $20. Free checked bag, priority check-in, screening, and boarding in both cases. I guess it really comes down to the plane itself (no food as I only do Kosher).

But no expiring RPU to use.

Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Curious what someone might choose, EWR-ORD - AA 738 or UA 772. Timing is basically the same, price is basically the same, and elite benefits are roughly the same between the 2. Flight would be in Y
I would pick the carrier where I’m closer to earning lifetime status.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
If 9-across, the 772 for wider seats.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Is it possible for IFE to glitch and only show a subset of the movies that should be available? Recently flew FRA-IAD on a 772 in F, and I’m almost certain my system wasn’t showing all the movies that I saw people next to me watching. Was I just not looking in the right place in the system to find all the movies or is it possible something was wrong? After the flight I heard another passenger mention that their system was only showing kids movies - which made me wonder if I had the same issue.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:19 pm

What's the best advice for calling to open award seats on United? I had an invol sched change and will need to reaccommodated. Of course no more seats, so United would have to open them. I've been calling but the off-shore agent keep repeating "if there's no availability, we'll just have to issue you a refund."

Is there a way to guarantee a US number? I have no status.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mabramovich
... I've been calling but the off-shore agent keep repeating "if there's no availability, we'll just have to issue you a refund." ...
Try to escalate to a supervisor. But be aware there is no requirement UA opens up award space (and if they do, it will only be on UA operated flights -- UA can not force award space on a partner flight).
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Try to escalate to a supervisor. But be aware there is no requirement UA opens up award space (and if they do, it will only be on UA operated flights -- UA can not force award space on a partner flight).
Thanks - agree UA-operated only. But isn't this technically a _requirement_? Or is really the only thing one is entitled to a refund?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks - agree UA-operated only. But isn't this technically a _requirement_? ...
Nope, UA is under no contractual obligation to open up space, but generally will.

See Rule 24 Flight Delays/Cancellations/Aircraft Changes, Section C on Schedule changes -- notice "UA will, at its election", "at UA’s sole discretion", ....
ending with "the Passenger will be eligible for a refund upon request"
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
What's the best advice for calling to open award seats on United?
In the days before I was 1K, I had the best luck, bizarrely, calling UA's UK number (+44 (0)207 136 0582), either natively from the UK or via Skype from the US. According to the site their hours are 8a-10p UK time, though I don't recall ever not being able to get help.

The 0207 number historically never asked you for your MP number/status before connecting you through to an agent, yet I always got seemingly US-based, competent agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.