Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Thanks. I'm new to UA status (and upgrades) and didn't realize the various differences. I was almost positive I had used it earlier on this trip for free via the seatback IFE, but that must have been when I was upgraded. (Seems rather nickel-dime of UA to charge for it in E.)
It's likely just laziness—they have IFE contractually wedded to DirecTV, and they have a fee implemented to access it, and they don't know how to carve out an exception if you're tuned to channel 11.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:35 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The flight tracker available on wifi / PDE is free.
The flight tracker via DirecTV equipped aircraft is only available after purchase (if not in first).
Good to know. I just flew LAX-CUN on a DirecTV aircraft in F and didn't realize I could watch it for free.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Haven't flown domestic with checked luggage in a long time.

Can I use a kiosk to check a bag or do I need to see an agent? EWR, CLE, ORD, LGA
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:09 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90

Can I use a kiosk to check a bag or do I need to see an agent? EWR, CLE, ORD, LGA
Someone needs to hand you your tag that goes on the handle so luggage can get to proper destination.

Self serve sort of. Still need agent interaction.

Luckily I don't have to do that anymore now that I don't travel with tools for work anymore
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Haven't flown domestic with checked luggage in a long time.

Might depend on the airport, but at CUN the other day, the kiosks spit out the luggage tags, which pax are instructed to affix themselves. After that, pax are directed to the baggage drop-off lane(s).
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Might depend on the airport, but at CUN the other day, the kiosks spit out the luggage tags, which pax are instructed to affix themselves. After that, pax are directed to the baggage drop-off lane(s).
It does depend on the airport. I feel like they're moving toward this self-service model, but it's definitely not widespread. You'd need someone who's flown through the airports in question to provide a good answer. Also, there may be different answers for passengers with status and without; I've definitely seen some airports where the Premier line is full(er) service and the regular Economy line is self-service.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I have booked business class for my parents for their long haul flight from LAX to LHR in December. It would be their first time flying long haul business and I want to ensure they get a good nights rest before they land. I am not familiar with Polaris service but should I get my parents to ask for a mattress pad when they first board? Thanks for any replies!
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lonsinla
I have booked business class for my parents for their long haul flight from LAX to LHR in December. It would be their first time flying long haul business and I want to ensure they get a good nights rest before they land. I am not familiar with Polaris service but should I get my parents to ask for a mattress pad when they first board? Thanks for any replies!
They can request mattress pad, gel pillow, and slippers when they board if they want them right away. But even without those, Polaris will give them a very comfortable sleep ^

They also might want to tell the FA it's their first time flying business so they'll get a little bit more introduction to / help with the amenities.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by getagb
They can request mattress pad, gel pillow, and slippers when they board if they want them right away. But even without those, Polaris will give them a very comfortable sleep ^

They also might want to tell the FA it's their first time flying business so they'll get a little bit more introduction to / help with the amenities.

thanks. english isnt their first language and they are a little hard of hearing so I just want to prepare them as much as I can before they fly
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If so, they may also be squeamish about asking - they need to move fast to ask for those items, since it's not fully catered. Maybe even give them a card to hand the FA?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:52 pm

do companions of star gold (not UA) get free baggage if under the same reservation?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bryant.Jr
do companions of star gold (not UA) get free baggage if under the same reservation?
Yes, the entire PNR gets the benefit of the bag waiver
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG+Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I'm relocating to BOS from ORD and currently have Platinum with UA. I mainly fly for work and am very happy with domestic travel with UA and enjoy traveling with *A partners, when visiting Europe.

UA, however, has awful flight schedules out of BOS with a connection required for most destinations on my list, and I'm wondering if I should continue slogging it out with UA or switch to another carrier with a status match next year?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rockyb
I'm wondering if I should continue slogging it out with UA or switch to another carrier with a status match next year?
I would have to say this is not a "simple question". There's way too much information needed to make that decision, most of which you probably consider personal data.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG+Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would have to say this is not a "simple question". There's way too much information needed to make that decision, most of which you probably consider personal data.
Please ask. I'm happy to answer (within reasonable limits).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.