Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I agree that revalidate-not-reissue is the source of the issue. You are probably fine as is - UA sees the reservation fine and is your checkin point for that segment. If you have the time, I would give NZ a ring as it's on their ticket stock, and see if they can see that the reservation is in order. If they tell you to go deal with the OTA, I would give it up as a lost cause and assume that everything will just go smoothly.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfo789
SFO-AKL was R1 so I GPUd it.
Score!

Originally Posted by sfo789
How much of a problem is this? Since first flight of the itin is on UA, I presume OLCI will be a UA thing anyway, and if UA sees the seg I can't see there being an issue (feels similar to the 'missing seg' problem on GPUd LH flights).
Originally Posted by findark
If you have the time, I would give NZ a ring as it's on their ticket stock, and see if they can see that the reservation is in order.
Agree.

So long as each operating carrier sees its segment, I don't think there will be a problem. (Though the Saudia error would give me a brief pause as well.)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Thanks both! Will give NZ a call. Saudia error is strange to me, certainly: I should have tried to pull the ticket on Saudia pre-GPUing it to see whether that was the specific cause, but it has definitely nudged me to confirm there's nothing catastrophically broken with the ticket.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Booked on UA 1533, EWR to LAS this Saturday. Two lowly Silvers so I was checking to see what our chances were to grab some E+ seats on Friday at T-24. Did a phantom booking to see what seats were left and all it shows are 4 seats in F. Zero in coach, not coach fares displayed. Logged in to my account and looked and saw 20+ unassigned seats plus the 4 in F. Soooooo, am I right in guessing that there are lot of BE travelers on this flight? It is interesting because there is a flight 45 minutes earlier with a ton of empty seats.....
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by gene2632
Booked on UA 1533, EWR to LAS this Saturday. Two lowly Silvers so I was checking to see what our chances were to grab some E+ seats on Friday at T-24. Did a phantom booking to see what seats were left and all it shows are 4 seats in F. Zero in coach, not coach fares displayed. Logged in to my account and looked and saw 20+ unassigned seats plus the 4 in F. Soooooo, am I right in guessing that there are lot of BE travelers on this flight? It is interesting because there is a flight 45 minutes earlier with a ton of empty seats.....
It's probably a good guess. I see right now:

28OCT17 EWRLAS UA1533 : F2 P1 Y1 E0 N1

The earlier flights aren't exactly empty, but they do have a few more seats.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gene2632
They've opened one seat for sale in Y since you posted your message; it's now F2 Y1. There's a good chance that the flight is oversold in coach by a passenger or two, which they're planning to resolve with upgrades or buy-ups. And, yes, while nobody is required to choose a seat assignment, the most likely reason that there would be several perfectly good E- seats available is a surplus of BE travelers.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Thanks. We have seats now in E- on the aisles in row 22. I expect that I will be able to grab some E+ aisles at T-24 if I am quick about it. If not the E- aisles are not the end of the world. I also have a MUA in for both of us but I don't expect it to clear. The biggest thing for me is just getting there to enjoy the winter with my grandchildren .
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
And, yes, while nobody is required to choose a seat assignment, the most likely reason that there would be several perfectly good E- seats available is a surplus of BE travelers.
Coming from an INTL gateway like EWR, I would assume some of the unassigned seats are people connecting from overseas flights on partner metal or UA metal but booked through codeshare.

Also if the only E- seats available are middles, I don't pick a seat and hope something will open up later or I'll win the E+ lottery, so that could be why too.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:20 pm

We had three business class MileagePlus awards for BOM-ZRH-MIA (by Swiss) for Jan 3, 2018 -- originally ticketed in May 2017.
Yesterday, our tickets were reissued, due to a 5 minute schedule change (arrival, not departure) in BOM-ZRH. Did not ask, the reticketing happened on its own.

But, we also had another business class AMD-BOM-ZRH-MIA (first flight by Air India, second and third by Swiss) award ticket (only one passenger on this day), issued in June, for Jan 9. The BOM-MIA segment again has the same 5 minute change, and when we checked the itinerary today it asked us to accept the schedule change. But this has not been re-ticketed.

Why was the first one (flights on Jan 3 BOM-ZRH-MIA) re-ticketed, while the second one (starting Jan 9, AMD-BOM-ZRH-MIA) not re-ticketed?

I called to ask why the second itinerary was not re-ticketed, and reached the Philipplines center -- on three consecutive occasions, and the agents were frustrating, to put it mildly. They just could not understand.

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by raghu
Why was the first one (flights on Jan 3 BOM-ZRH-MIA) re-ticketed, while the second one (starting Jan 9, AMD-BOM-ZRH-MIA) not re-ticketed?
I'm not certain, but my educated guess is that the additional Air India segment on the Jan 9 flight is tagged differently in the system, and that is your discrepancy.

Unrelated...be careful in AMD. That's where I was flying AMD-SIN-LAX, but they tagged my bag as going to LAS.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:29 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Last Sunday (22-Oct) I flew SAN-LAX-CUN-MID (UAX P/UA P/VW G) on a 016 ticket booked via united.com. The MP accrual info I got before I flew the trip said "Ineligible to accrue mileage or Premier qualifying credit" for the VW (Aeromar) segment CUN-MID:

The VW inflight magazine had a full-page ad saying that credit to MileagePlus would accrue on VW flights. Curious, I found a united.com web page for Aeromar travel which indicates there is "5 x fare" credit for Aeromar travel on 016 stock. The itinerary was constructed using Multiple Segments (SAN-CUN + CUN-MID) and IIRC it was priced with the VW segment $90 in addition to the SAN-CUN fare.

Now (five days after the flight), there is no credit for the VW segment on my MP account.

Before I make a phone call and embarrass myself, is it correct that I appear to have been eligible for MP credit on the VW flight?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, looks like you should get RDM only. I would give it two weeks before calling though - I think that's the official deadline for partner flights to post and generally speaking you may get stonewalled otherwise. Also double check that the gross PQD for the outbound is higher than 428 (or whatever did post for SAN-LAX-CUN).
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Is the in-flight flight tracker on UA supposed to be free or is there a fee? Every time I tried to activate it on a recent flight to PTY, the system asked me to swipe my credit card. Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Is the in-flight flight tracker on UA supposed to be free or is there a fee? Every time I tried to activate it on a recent flight to PTY, the system asked me to swipe my credit card. Thanks.
The flight tracker available on wifi / PDE is free.
The flight tracker via DirecTV equipped aircraft is only available after purchase (if not in first).
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The flight tracker available on wifi / PDE is free.
The flight tracker via DirecTV equipped aircraft is only available after purchase (if not in first).
Thanks. I'm new to UA status (and upgrades) and didn't realize the various differences. I was almost positive I had used it earlier on this trip for free via the seatback IFE, but that must have been when I was upgraded. (Seems rather nickel-dime of UA to charge for it in E.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.