Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: United Mileageplus
Originally Posted by findark
If every segment is on UA metal, you will get the same MP earnings regardless of ticket stock.
Thank you ! I will go ahead and book this trip with Austrian then
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I noticed that EWR<>LHR is going to 4x frequency in January. Given the 'use them or lose them' nature of LHR slots, which hub is getting an extra slot in the winter?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Don't recall in which thread this was mentioned, but it's DEN.

Here's the story.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:18 pm

That article says the new DEN-LHR route is seasonal March-October, so summer not winter. Not sure what they plan to do for the first three months of 2018.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I noticed that EWR<>LHR is going to 4x frequency in January. Given the 'use them or lose them' nature of LHR slots, which hub is getting an extra slot in the winter?
Very curious if anyone has the historical data here. DEN is seasonal, the 2x LAX experiment is long since dead, IAH is still 2x and ORD/IAD are still 3x.

SFO remains 2x all year, which was a new trend for 2016-17 and one I very much appreciated, but I do seem to recall 5 LHR-EWR running even last winter, so I'm not at all sure where the missing LHR slot has gone.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I see nothing on my January schedule, so I'm guessing it will be announced later.

Originally Posted by chipmaster
1K and United Club Access:

Just made 1K, almost always do AS domestic and UA for the international segment. From what I understand now should be able to have complimentary access to UA Clubs even if not at my departure location on UA international or if I'm flying UA domestic, but should get it anywhere as long as the same day? Seems there are few club agents that deny me and claim no access is permitted, but then I got my boarding pass reprinted and got access, others often get this problem, and how do you convince the stubborn club agent

Also, do I get also access to Star Alliance as well ?
As a UA *G you have access to UA lounges at any airport as long as flying same-day (departure +/- 24hrs) on a *A international flight. This is an enhancement over standard *A lounge rules, which stipulate that you must be departing the current airport on a *A flight.

Therefore, you do not have access to Star Alliance partner lounges if departing that airport on an AS flight.

In short,

Standard *G/*A lounge rule: you must be departing the current airport on *A
UA enhancement for own *Gs at own clubs: you need only have a same-day *A international flight anywhere
UA restriction for own *Gs at own clubs: you cannot enter on a departing UA domestic flight

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 15, 2017 at 11:10 am Reason: split post
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Don't recall in which thread this was mentioned, but it's DEN.

Here's the story.
Yes, I knew that. However, EWR<>LHR was running 6x daily, and I assumed the downgauge to 5x was going to be just during the summer. However, they are cutting one late departure out of EWR and cutting the 6PM departure from LHR. MLK weekend is my point of reference.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:12 pm

Best credit card

Hi there. Would someone please recommend what is the best credit card to accrue and redeem Mileage Plus points for flights on United. I recently bought a condo in Aspen and United operates 75% of all flights into the area and at some times in the year, the only flights.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Hi there. Would someone please recommend what is the best credit card to accrue and redeem Mileage Plus points for flights on United. I recently bought a condo in Aspen and United operates 75% of all flights into the area and at some times in the year, the only flights.
The best credit card pretty much always depends on your personal financials and spending patterns.

For what I would consider the standard FT blend, I think the best cards to carry here for bulk spend would be the Chase Sapphire Reserve coupled with the Chase Freedom Unlimited. This allows 1.5x UR as a baseline for all spend, with 3x UR on both all travel and all restaurants. UR points are transferrable 1:1 to UA miles, and can also be used at a rate of 1:$0.015 to book revenue travel on any airline. If you spend at least $300 on travel annually, the effective annual fee is only $150.

If you do not plan to achieve any United status, the Chase MileagePlus Explorer card grants most of the benefits of Silver status (including significantly enhanced access to Economy Saver awards) while offering 1x UA miles on all purchases. For higher elites, it also can be used for domestic upgrades on Economy awards. It has a $95 AF.

If you want United Club membership, then the Club card is the most cost-effective way to do this, and also gives a flat 1.5x miles back as well as granting all the benefits of the Explorer card.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by findark
The best credit card pretty much always depends on your personal financials and spending patterns.

For what I would consider the standard FT blend, I think the best cards to carry here for bulk spend would be the Chase Sapphire Reserve coupled with the Chase Freedom Unlimited. This allows 1.5x UR as a baseline for all spend, with 3x UR on both all travel and all restaurants. UR points are transferrable 1:1 to UA miles, and can also be used at a rate of 1:$0.015 to book revenue travel on any airline. If you spend at least $300 on travel annually, the effective annual fee is only $150.
Agreed, but if you go this route, you should definitely also get the regular Chase Freedom. It has no annual fee (like the Freedom Unlimited), but has quarterly promotions that let you earn 5x UR points in selected spend categories on up to $1500 in purchases. Last quarter was restaurants and movie theaters, and this quarter is department stores and walmart.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof
Agreed, but if you go this route, you should definitely also get the regular Chase Freedom. It has no annual fee (like the Freedom Unlimited), but has quarterly promotions that let you earn 5x UR points in selected spend categories on up to $1500 in purchases. Last quarter was restaurants and movie theaters, and this quarter is department stores and walmart.
Definitely, although 5/24 will catch up to you eventually
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Would someone please recommend what is the best credit card to accrue and redeem Mileage Plus points for flights on United.
One of the Chase United cards (Explorer or Club) is best for those specific purposes.

These will give you access to enhanced saver economy award availability (XN) on United, which is often the difference between finding award seats and not. They will also give you a free checked bag and priority (Group 2) boarding.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Does the Star Gold extra bag benefit for non-UA Star Gold apply for the member only or for the entire reservation?
Anyone?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Does the Star Gold extra bag benefit for non-UA Star Gold apply for the member only or for the entire reservation?
From the UA *G Benefit thread wiki:

All those on the same PNR get the *G bag waiver
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Does anyone at UA (e.g., gate agent) read through the notes on PNRs before the flight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.