Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
If I purchased a P fare on a domestic route running a 3-class 772 and applied an RPU, what fare bucket should I be looking for? I thought it would be ON, but perhaps I am wrong.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
If I purchased a P fare on a domestic route running a 3-class 772 and applied an RPU, what fare bucket should I be looking for? I thought it would be ON, but perhaps I am wrong.
Assuming the flight is being sold as a 3-class flight (for instance, SFO/LAX<>EWR & SFO<>BOS are not), then ON is needed for upgrades

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Assuming the flight is being sold as a 3-class flight (for instance, SFO/LAX<>EWR & SFO<>BOS are not), then ON is needed for upgrades

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html
Thanks. The issue here was that my wife and I were on same PNR for ORD-EWR, but there was only ON1. I had to call in, split the record, and move her up. Given that A-class fares are substantially higher than either Y or J (generically), I think I will (eventually) make it up there.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks. The issue here was that my wife and I were on same PNR for ORD-EWR, but there was only ON1. I had to call in, split the record, and move her up. Given that A-class fares are substantially higher than either Y or J (generically), I think I will (eventually) make it up there.
Sometimes. You can TD from Y to F though, and that plus connecting international A fares often takes many of the seats (at least in my experience with SFO-IAD).
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Sometimes. You can TD from Y to F though, and that plus connecting international A fares often takes many of the seats (at least in my experience with SFO-IAD).
I think I will be okay on that front. The flight lands at EWR at 7:30 PM, so highly unlikely it is being utilized to connect to a TATL flight later on (I think the late EWR-LHR flight would be the only one, but they don't use 772s on that route). It probably explains why most of F is still empty (only 2/8 now occupied). All the TODs would be processed into J first (I think).
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Very quick question: Are dogs allowed in cabin, no leash the whole flight?

Does F/J and Y differ?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo

Very quick question: Are dogs allowed in cabin, no leash the whole flight?
As long as they are service dogs or in their mini crate for non service.

Pretty sure cabin does not matter.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
As long as they are service dogs or in their mini crate for non service.

Pretty sure cabin does not matter.
Are service dogs clearly identified? I assume ESA pets are not service dogs.

Also, "mini crate"? Does that mean there should be one somewhere?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Very quick question: Are dogs allowed in cabin, no leash the whole flight?...
Traditional Service animals and Emotion Support Animals are allowed with minimal restrictions. There are not to distribute other passengers

Service animals

ESA are consider "service animals" by the airlines

Does F/J and Y differ?
Other non-exempt In-cabin pets animals must be in an approval in-cabin kennel. There is an quantity per flight per cabin restrictions and none in lie-flat cabins.

In-cabin pets
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think I will be okay on that front. The flight lands at EWR at 7:30 PM, so highly unlikely it is being utilized to connect to a TATL flight later on (I think the late EWR-LHR flight would be the only one, but they don't use 772s on that route). It probably explains why most of F is still empty (only 2/8 now occupied). All the TODs would be processed into J first (I think).
Could also be inbound connections Asia-ORD-EWR, although I agree it's a little less likely than connecting to either end of SFO-IAD.

You can double-upgrade with a single TOD - it's how I rode in "Global" First three times on SFO/IAD.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Domestic Award Ticket date change only

I have a Saver UA domestic award IAD-SFO-IAD

Leave on a Wed, return Tuesday redeye

Two questions

Would UA allow me to change (assuming saver award availability) outbound say from Wed to Friday

and/or Change Tuesday return from a red eye to an earlier flight that day?

I have no status

Both legs are Saver Awards

Is there a fee for this? if so, what is the fee?

thanks

Edit to say

it appears it will be $125 to do this once so if I want to do both, I better do them on the same call - correct? or get charged another $125?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
it appears it will be $125 to do this once so if I want to do both, I better do them on the same call - correct? or get charged another $125?
The fee is $75 more than 60 days before departure or $125 within 60 days. Yes, if you make both changes at once, you will only be charged one fee. Note that the fee is per passenger.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by jsloan
The fee is $75 more than 60 days before departure or $125 within 60 days. Yes, if you make both changes at once, you will only be charged one fee. Note that the fee is per passenger.
thanks, yes I am under the 60 day window
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:51 pm

Kind of a simple question -

Wife and I are flying J class IAD-MAD in a couple weeks. Need to plug in a standard AC power plug. Is there a power outlet at the seats? Will we find it also in Y?

Last edited by gumercindo; Jul 30, 2017 at 8:57 pm
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by gumercindo

Wife and I are flying J class IAD-MAD in a couple weeks. Need to plug in a standard AC power plug. Is there a socket at the seats? Will we find it also in Y?
Yes and yes. IIRC it's two plugs for bank of three seats in the back if 777. Basically plug between seats in Y in most of longhaul fleet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.