Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:21 pm

I am trying to buy MEX - CGK - SFO but the fare is $1000 more expensive than getting a MEX - CGK - (transit SFO) - MEX. Can I buy MEX - CGK - MEX but when I transit in SFO, I throw away the last segment SFO - MEX since I need to go through immigration and pick up my luggage anyway? I am entering the US with a tourist visa.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Bryant.Jr
I am trying to buy MEX - CGK - SFO but the fare is $1000 more expensive than getting a MEX - CGK - (transit SFO) - MEX. Can I buy MEX - CGK - MEX but when I transit in SFO, I throw away the last segment SFO - MEX since I need to go through immigration and pick up my luggage anyway? I am entering the US with a tourist visa.
Yes. The usual other caveats of HCT apply, however.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: United MP Premier Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Any reason why 1 pax on a pnr gets precheck randomly and the other pax does not?
I have noticed this when I had to travel with my mom in the past domestic and internationally.

For my trip tomorrow my 17 year old cousin got it on his bp randomly and I didnt. He rarely flies and is his first time flying united. I fly quite a bit each year and have never received it on my bp's ever.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Nick Hermann
Any reason why 1 pax on a pnr gets precheck randomly and the other pax does not?
I have noticed this when I had to travel with my mom in the past domestic and internationally.

For my trip tomorrow my 17 year old cousin got it on his bp randomly and I didnt. He rarely flies and is his first time flying united. I fly quite a bit each year and have never received it on my bp's ever.
This is not a United question, it's TSA who decides who gets it and who does not.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:03 pm

How long does it take for UA to ticket LH award ticket?
My reservation has been pending ever since booking (yesterday) "! A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued."

LH site show -
Cabin class
Business (I)
State Confirmed

Your etix® number(s) - Nothing.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
How long does it take for UA to ticket LH award ticket?
My reservation has been pending ever since booking (yesterday) "! A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued."

LH site show -
Cabin class
Business (I)
State Confirmed

Your etix® number(s) - Nothing.
Took mine about 2 minutes 2 days ago. Did you call UA? They may just need to synch/re-issue.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
My reservation has been pending ever since booking (yesterday)
That's way too long. You should call.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:19 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Question Award travel on Eva, ANA with UA miles

So I'm looking for award flights for TPE-NRT with miles (biz or coach), seems that I never see Eva flights nor ANA much. Do they usually not allow for mileage redemptions? Best I get is via China which I don't want to connect, especially via China (my Taiwanese mother would disown me and beat me with her cane).

Does calling help with additional availability? Do they ever allow for these two airlines redemptions? Suggestions also with Expert Flier too (I"m new to that and often can't get flights to come up that I know exist so that I can do an alert)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Does calling help with additional availability? Do they ever allow for these two airlines redemptions? Suggestions also with Expert Flier too (I"m new to that and often can't get flights to come up that I know exist so that I can do an alert)
I have redeemed miles on both ANA and EVA. If there's no availability showing online, calling is unlikely to help.

I do have one suggestion, if you're flexible. If you're currently searching TPE-NRT, try searching "TPE - All Airports" to "TYO - All Airports." There are a significant number of ANA flights from TSA to HND, and availability may be better on those because they're not as useful for connections. (For example, I see three flights on 6/28; two are TSA-HND and one is TPE-NRT).
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:38 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
I have redeemed miles on both ANA and EVA. If there's no availability showing online, calling is unlikely to help.

I do have one suggestion, if you're flexible. If you're currently searching TPE-NRT, try searching "TPE - All Airports" to "TYO - All Airports." There are a significant number of ANA flights from TSA to HND, and availability may be better on those because they're not as useful for connections. (For example, I see three flights on 6/28; two are TSA-HND and one is TPE-NRT).
I'm actually connecting at NRT so though TSA-HND is very desirable for the proximity to each city with TSA one Metro stop from my Aunt (I'm flying JAL HND-TSA at least on AA miles), can't on the way back. Do these airlines wait to later to release the flights? I'm traveling in October. Expert Flier seemed helpful for ANA to get an alert set up but not for Eva
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Is expert mode no longer working for award flights? Searching simple routing (usually one ways) yields nothing in the way of fare buckets for UA or partner flights.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I'm actually connecting at NRT so though TSA-HND is very desirable for the proximity to each city with TSA one Metro stop from my Aunt (I'm flying JAL HND-TSA at least on AA miles), can't on the way back. Do these airlines wait to later to release the flights? I'm traveling in October. Expert Flier seemed helpful for ANA to get an alert set up but not for Eva
Got it; although UA loves to suggest that people transfer from NRT to HND or vice-versa, I wouldn't actually recommend it. :-)

There is no set schedule for releasing awards. I see awards for both ANA and EVA in October; the problem is, none of them are on the non-stop. :-( It's entirely possible that either or both will open up additional awards as the date approaches; unfortunately, it's also possible that they won't.

Regarding ExpertFlyer: There's a note on the top of the award search result page that says "[F]lights that do not have award availability in any cabin may not be shown. You may still create Flight Alerts for any flight via the Create New Flight Alert page or via the Flight Availability results page." That's your ticket to the award alerts you're looking for; use class X for economy, I for business, or O for first; note that EVA doesn't have first class.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by elsenor
Is expert mode no longer working for award flights? Searching simple routing (usually one ways) yields nothing in the way of fare buckets for UA or partner flights.
Sadly, expert mode hasn't worked on award flights for at least a year. :-( It will show award inventory in regular searches, if you can get the flight you're interested in to appear at all, but it shows nothing for award searches.

Last edited by jsloan; Jun 20, 2017 at 8:00 am Reason: Added response to new question
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Took mine about 2 minutes 2 days ago. Did you call UA? They may just need to synch/re-issue.
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's way too long. You should call.
I called, a few times. talked to a few different agents.
it started as UA award reservation and later changed upon my request to LH.

They said that this change is a manual change and it will take up to 48 hours before it actually get ticketed and everything looks fine. Now, the travel date is ~5 days from now. Is it BS?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP 75K
Do domestic flights have blankets/pillows in economy?

It's my first time flying United and I have a 6 hour red-eye from Anchorage to Chicago coming up next month in normal economy on a 737-900. Does United have blankets and/or pillows available on board?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BrandonAB
It's my first time flying United and I have a 6 hour red-eye from Anchorage to Chicago coming up next month in normal economy on a 737-900. Does United have blankets and/or pillows available on board?
They may or may not offer a tissue-thin blanket. Definitely no pillow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.