Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by okrogius
Look at a US-EUR fare rules and seems somewhat contradictory:

This is the second cheapest fare on the route, and the cheapest doesn't have a refund fee section. At the same time, why the NONREF endorsement? So confused whether this is actually refundable.
What's the route and fare code? It looks like the intent is for it to be refundable -- less a $500 fee -- but only if unused. In other words, no partial refunds are allowed. I'm not sure why the NONREF endorsement would be on there, except maybe to prevent you from changing to a fully refundable fare and avoiding the cancellation penalty.

Originally Posted by gene2632
Good friend is flying EWR to BCN tomorrow. got his BPs tonight and they say "Priority Boarding" plus TSA PRE...he asked me what that means and I had no clue. He does have the Chase/UA Explorer card so he is BG 2. Any ideas?
Priority boarding is the name for United's early boarding privileges for premier members and Explorer card holders. It's just marketing speak for "here, we gave you boarding group 2."
Old May 21, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Thanks. That is what I thought but on his trip last year they also sent him to a shorter check in line but that was at FCO..... I have not flown as a kettle in almost 30 years so I had no clue.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
what's the route and fare code? It looks like the intent is for it to be refundable -- less a $500 fee -- but only if unused. In other words, no partial refunds are allowed. I'm not sure why the nonref endorsement would be on there, except maybe to prevent you from changing to a fully refundable fare and avoiding the cancellation penalty.
SEA-CPH r/t, PNC41S - for mid-June to early January travel. (Ticketing must be complete by 5/21, so you might find it harder to find later.)

PNC40S is entirely non-refundable and no-stopovers (41 allows unlimited for 200 per direction). With that said, I actually haven't been able to get ITA to price anything with the PNC40S for whatever reason.

Last edited by okrogius; May 21, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SEA-CPH r/t, PNC41S - for mid-June to early January travel. (Ticketing must be complete by 5/21, so you might find it harder to find later.)

PNC40S is entirely non-refundable and no-stopovers (41 allows unlimited for 200 per direction). With that said, I actually haven't been able to get ITA to price anything with the PNC40S for whatever reason.
OK, I pulled up the full fare rules, and they reinforce my earlier suggestion. It seems that this fare is refundable before travel for a $500 charge, or changeable for a $450 charge. The specific language I'm looking at is:

FULL VALUE OF WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MAY BE
APPLIED TOWARDS PURCHASE OF A NEW TICKET PRICED
AT CURRENT FARE LEVELS UPON PAYMENT OF THE
CANCEL PENALTY CONTAINED WITHIN THIS RULE AND
DIFFERENCE IN FARE/TAX/FEES/CHARGES AND
SURCHARGES COLLECTED/REFUNDED AT TIME OF
EXCHANGE.
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERNCE--
--
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE -
RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE APPLIED TOWARD CANCEL
PENALTY
That indicates to me that this fare operates more like a refundable fare than a non-refundable fare; UA non-refundable fares always require new money, even if the fare difference is enough to cover the change penalty.

It's pretty unambiguously non-refundable after travel has commenced.

If you have booked / choose to book this fare in the next two hours, I'd call and ask for confirmation from UA, but that's how I read it.

PS: The lower fare you mentioned -- PNC40S -- has a max stay of 3 months, so if you were looking for those same travel dates, that's why it wouldn't price for you.

Last edited by jsloan; May 21, 2017 at 11:00 pm Reason: PNC40S
Old May 21, 2017, 11:06 pm

OK, I pulled up the full fare rules, and they reinforce my earlier suggestion. It seems that this fare is refundable before travel for a $500 charge, or changeable for a $450 charge. The specific language I'm looking at is:

That indicates to me that this fare operates more like a refundable fare than a non-refundable fare; UA non-refundable fares always require new money, even if the fare difference is enough to cover the change penalty.

It's pretty unambiguously non-refundable after travel has commenced.

If you have booked / choose to book this fare in the next two hours, I'd call and ask for confirmation from UA, but that's how I read it.

PS: The lower fare you mentioned -- PNC40S -- has a max stay of 3 months, so if you were looking for those same travel dates, that's why it wouldn't price for you.
Thanks. Mostly just academic curiosity if I was missing something about endorsements. It's still a fairly nicely priced fare even if non-refundable.

I noticed the max stay differences, but I can't seem to get ITA to price anything at PNC40S (far under 3mo). Just trying a flex calendar, seeing fairly consistent 2.5k r/t, nothing at the 2k mark.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I noticed the max stay differences, but I can't seem to get ITA to price anything at PNC40S (far under 3mo). Just trying a flex calendar, seeing fairly consistent 2.5k r/t, nothing at the 2k mark.
It's a companion fare:

ACCOMPANIED TRAVEL
MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL SECTORS IN SAME COMPARTMENT
BY AT LEAST 1 PASSENGER IN PNC40S FARE CLASS. NO MORE
THAN 8 ACCOMPANIED PASSENGERS PERMITTED FOR EACH
PNC40S TYPE PASSENGERS.
If you search the ITA matrix with two passengers, you'll see it (example: 6/23-7/1).
Old May 21, 2017, 11:26 pm

It's a companion fare:

If you search the ITA matrix with two passengers, you'll see it (example: 6/23-7/1).
Interesting, haven't seen it before with UA. I guess makes sense as this is likely a match to the BA sale (and EK has frequent companion sales). Thanks!
Old May 22, 2017, 11:51 am

My wife and I used MP miles to book an OS flight, OS 94 IAD-VIE, in economy (booking shows X class of service--non-elite saver pass). Neither of us have any status with UA or *A. I have two Club passes from accepting the Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer credit card offer. I understand that Austrian flies from IAD Terminal A and that there are no United Clubs in that terminal (only C/D). Is it worth trying to get to IAD early enough to burn the club passes in C/D before our flight, or just save them for another trip?
Old May 22, 2017, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ConstellationClass
My wife and I used MP miles to book an OS flight, OS 94 IAD-VIE, in economy (booking shows X class of service--non-elite saver pass). Neither of us have any status with UA or *A. I have two Club passes from accepting the Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer credit card offer. I understand that Austrian flies from IAD Terminal A and that there are no United Clubs in that terminal (only C/D). Is it worth trying to get to IAD early enough to burn the club passes in C/D before our flight, or just save them for another trip?
You have to have the train or moon buggey between A and C/D -- probably should count on 15-20 minutes each way

So is the extra time worth it? The UCs, especially at IAD, are so-so. During the day -- light snacks, limited or no views of the tarmac.

Some folks that access to the Term B lounges (you will not) do the reverse trip to the better meal options / showers / .... in the Term B lounges. Suggesting their thoughts on the UA UCs.

If you have future trips planned that can make use of the UCs while staying in Term C/D -- then I would wait.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
.... Is it worth trying to get to IAD early enough to burn the club passes in C/D before our flight, or just save them for another trip?
Seems a good time as any to use them. It's pretty easy to get to/from A/B from C/D.

For my money, though, I'd see about getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve, or another card that gives you Priority Pass. Then you can visit, amongst others, the TK lounge in B. (for which there's a lot of information on how to get from C/D to A/B).
Old May 22, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is it worth trying to get to IAD early enough to burn the club passes in C/D before our flight, or just save them for another trip?
Definitely not. Your house or wherever you are before the trip is going to be nicer than the UC. If your built in safety margin for not missing your flight leaves you time at IAD, it's fine to go use the passes. But I would not go to the airport early just to see the lounge.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Definitely not. Your house or wherever you are before the trip is going to be nicer than the UC. If your built in safety margin for not missing your flight leaves you time at IAD, it's fine to go use the passes. But I would not go to the airport early just to see the lounge.
+1
The IAD lounges are awful.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
This might be a stupid question, but the 4-operated segment requirement means that I could have a non-016 ticket with a non-UA flight number, but as long as it's UA-operated and credited to UA it counts, correct?

I realized with my upcoming plans I'll "accidentally" cross the 25k PQM threshold but only have two segments actually operated by UA. So trying to find two other ex-YVR segments that would cheaply get me those... and thinking whether it's even worth it. getting to 25k is very accidental, I've been mainly a OW guy. Also won't have 12.5k in UA PQM of those 25k or I'd just do a status challenge...
Old May 22, 2017, 8:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Smiley90
This might be a stupid question, but the 4-operated segment requirement means that I could have a non-016 ticket with a non-UA flight number, but as long as it's UA-operated and credited to UA it counts, correct? ...
Yes, correct

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ions-here.html

Originally Posted by Smiley90
.... Also won't have 12.5k in UA PQM of those 25k or I'd just do a status challenge...
The PQMs have to be earned after the start of the challenge. Already earned PQMs don,'t count.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, correct

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ions-here.html

The PQMs have to be earned after the start of the challenge. Already earned PQMs don,'t count.
thanks, just wanted to make sure.

And I know - I haven't actually flown any of the flights yet, but I have 25k in PQM booked. Only like 4k of those are on UA though - if it were more I'd just challenge with my AA Plat, but ALAS I'll either book a 2-segment flight to get Silver next year or I'll just leave it. Wasn't planning on making Silver at all but scheduling/bookings turned out that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.