Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Would all tickets booked on United.com start with a "016" for PQM purposes? I ended up finding a decent mileage run but the legs are split half and half between UA and NH metal.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:05 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Zaphod42
Is there some step I'm missing?
Not necessarily.

Many airlines do not release all seat availability to their partners.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by InterPlace55
Would all tickets booked on United.com start with a "016" for PQM purposes? I ended up finding a decent mileage run but the legs are split half and half between UA and NH metal.
Yes. If you book on united.com, the ticket will be on UA (016) ticket stock.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
LH-UA mixed rez on 016 stock, can't check in to UA segment? Still check bags through?

A common issue, with too many common words to get answer in reasonable time searching: Going FLR-FRA-ORD tonight, with FLR-FRA on LH, FRA-ORD on UA, single 016 stock ticket. OLCI on the FLR-FRA segment was easy via LH site, but neither LH or UA will let me check in on UA945 using either apps or websites, even though we're within 24 hours of flight. I have both airlines' locator numbers.

This is critical because I want to check our bags all the way through to ORD, even though we are overnighting at the FRA HGI ... 12 hour 25 min layover. Is there any way to force the UA check in? Or will LH at FLR be able to issue boarding pass for UA945 sufficient to check the bags through? For extra points, is this too long a layover to be able to check bags through?
Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lskohn
A common issue, with too many common words to get answer in reasonable time searching: Going FLR-FRA-ORD tonight, with FLR-FRA on LH, FRA-ORD on UA, single 016 stock ticket. OLCI on the FLR-FRA segment was easy via LH site, but neither LH or UA will let me check in on UA945 using either apps or websites, even though we're within 24 hours of flight. I have both airlines' locator numbers.

This is critical because I want to check our bags all the way through to ORD, even though we are overnighting at the FRA HGI ... 12 hour 25 min layover. Is there any way to force the UA check in? Or will LH at FLR be able to issue boarding pass for UA945 sufficient to check the bags through? For extra points, is this too long a layover to be able to check bags through?
Thanks.
Online check-in and baggage tagging are completely independent. You do not need a boarding pass for a flight to have your baggage tagged on it. LH may or may not be able to issue you a boarding pass at FLR, but it won't affect anything about their ability to check the luggage.

It'll be up to LH whether or not they'll check the luggage all the way through. You could try asking in their forum.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lskohn
I want to check our bags all the way through to ORD, even though we are overnighting at the FRA HGI ... 12 hour 25 min layover.
LH agent will ask you at check-in at FLR whether you want to check them through or pick them up at FRA.

As already mentioned, checking in on UA has nothing to do with it.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:48 am

need two international partner J tickets together, but redeemed separately from different accounts. When i search award inventory for 2 people, i can do it.

Just making sure that the saver rate will not increase if we redeem one award, then the other, separately.

Basically, if i see 2 available at 70k, those 2 can be redeemed at the same price, separately. Or should i expect United to remove the saver award for the second award flight?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
Basically, if i see 2 available at 70k, those 2 can be redeemed at the same price, separately. Or should i expect United to remove the saver award for the second award flight?
If they're partner awards, the partners would be the ones removing inventory, not UA. Having said that, I would try to book simultaneously -- two different browsers on the same machine, or call your travel companion and synchronize your actions -- to reduce the likelihood of an intervening inventory adjustment by the partner airline.

If you're looking at a round-trip itinerary, and you don't need the Excursionist Perk, consider booking two one-way itineraries, one from each account. The cancellation fees would be higher, but you wouldn't have to worry about inventory issues, and there's less of a chance that you'd get separated during IRROPS.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA - Premier Silver
Newbie here; help with SFO-CMN/RAK-SFO award travel with combination of MP + UR / MR?

Hi all - believe this is my first FlyerTalk post ever, so apologies if I'm doing this wrong or posting in the wrong section. I've tried to read through and learn as much as I can, but would greatly appreciate some help from the experts from this one:

I have:
  • ~185K UR (with access to CSR portal)
  • ~50k MR
  • ~39K UA MP
  • ~35K AA
  • A friend I'll be travelling with who has 2 GPUs that could be used for both of us

I want to get from San Francisco to Casablanca in September, then from Marrakech back to San Francisco (we'll be doing an 11-day tour that takes us from Casablanca to Marrakech).

I have Premier Silver status on United and my friend is Premier 1K I believe (she must be, to have GPUs)?

If possible and not exorbitant, I'd love to be able to fly business or first class one-way; I read that Lufthansa's first class routing through Frankfurt is an amazing experience. But it seems like they only release award availability to partners (UA) 15 days before the flight, and that seems too risky given that SFO - FRA is likely a high-demand/busy route?

At this point, my current thinking is that I should:
  • Buy SFO -> CMN one-way economy through the UR portal for 50-60K since that codes as a cash fare (can anyone confirm that?) and then my friend can use a GPU on it
  • Transfer ~1K UR to UA to buy a saver economy one-way back from RAK -> SFO (40K UA)
  • BUT... looking at the UR portal right now, one-way Lufthansa flights are way more expensive via UR then on United or Google Flights

Any suggestions, specific or not, would be incredibly helpful -- I'm trying to do research on my own, but there's so much info out there that I can't figure out if I'm missing something. Thank you very much!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!. cogitoergognome
Originally Posted by cogitoergognome
At this point, my current thinking is that I should:
  • Buy SFO -> CMN one-way economy through the UR portal for 50-60K since that codes as a cash fare (can anyone confirm that?) and then my friend can use a GPU on it
  • Transfer ~1K UR to UA to buy a saver economy one-way back from RAK -> SFO (40K UA)
  • BUT... looking at the UR portal right now, one-way Lufthansa flights are way more expensive via UR then on United or Google Flights

Any suggestions, specific or not, would be incredibly helpful -- I'm trying to do research on my own, but there's so much info out there that I can't figure out if I'm missing something. Thank you very much!
Your first issue will be http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-classes.html

LH or UA tend not be have discount international OWs.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!. cogitoergognome

Your first issue will be http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-classes.html

LH or UA tend not be have discount international OWs.
Thank you; that was an illuminating thread to read through!

Based on that, it seems like booking one-way through Chase UR probably won't be worth it. Maybe instead of doing one-way via UA (or is the appropriate abbreviation here MP?) and one-way through Chase UR, I'll just have to either:
  • Do round-trip via Chase UR and save the UA miles for a future trip;
  • OR transfer more UR to UA and book two one-way award tickets through UA (though then I wouldn't be able to use GPUs to upgrade to biz/first)
One downside with booking both ways with Chase UR though is that Chase doesn't seem to let me search for a "multi-city" option; just one-way or round-trip --- so I couldn't do SFO -> CMN / RAK -> SFO, but rather would have to do SFO -> CMN / [train/taxi from RAK to CMN] / CMN -> SFO, or SFO -> RAK / [train/taxi from RAK to CMN], RAK -> SFO.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If they're partner awards, the partners would be the ones removing inventory, not UA. Having said that, I would try to book simultaneously -- two different browsers on the same machine, or call your travel companion and synchronize your actions -- to reduce the likelihood of an intervening inventory adjustment by the partner airline.

If you're looking at a round-trip itinerary, and you don't need the Excursionist Perk, consider booking two one-way itineraries, one from each account. The cancellation fees would be higher, but you wouldn't have to worry about inventory issues, and there's less of a chance that you'd get separated during IRROPS.
Thank You! That helps.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
One downside with booking both ways with Chase UR though is that Chase doesn't seem to let me search for a "multi-city" option; just one-way or round-trip --- so I couldn't do SFO -> CMN / RAK -> SFO, but rather would have to do SFO -> CMN / [train/taxi from RAK to CMN] / CMN -> SFO, or SFO -> RAK / [train/taxi from RAK to CMN], RAK -> SFO.
Chase travel bookings are just cash tickets. If you can price it separately, you can use Chase like a TA (call them) to book the ticket.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Chase travel bookings are just cash tickets. If you can price it separately, you can use Chase like a TA (call them) to book the ticket.
Got it, thank you. That's good to know - though now that I'm looking, it seems a round-trip to Casablanca instead of an open-jaw is cheaper by a couple hundred dollars, so we'll probably do that for ~88K UR on LH.

So I'll just need to make sure when booking through UR that it's a fare class that will allow me to apply a GPU afterward. And I'll need to figure out how to earn UA miles with the LH fare (I read that as long as it's not a (016) ticket, should be fine?), but that's a separate issue.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So I'll just need to make sure when booking through UR that it's a fare class that will allow me to apply a GPU afterward. And I'll need to figure out how to earn UA miles with the LH fare (I read that as long as it's not a (016) ticket, should be fine?), but that's a separate issue.
If planning to use GPUs, I highly recommend booking the ticket with Chase by phone. You can construct a journey by segment and make sure that each segment is in the requisite fare class. Note that for an LH operated flight, the fare class requirement is different (and higher) than a UA flight.

If flying on a flight operated by LH, you will earn miles accordingly. Getting an 016 ticket (which is not a requirement for earning, although it will change how many RDM/PQD you earn) issued by an agency generally requires a UA flight, often the first flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.