Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mediatrix
... Can someone point me to the "I'm obsessed with trying to make GS" thread?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iscussion.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-2017-a.html
... and 42 PQD. ....
Assuming you mean 42K PQDs ... likely to be a borderline case for initial qualification.

It most be all UA operated -- partner flights do not count. More on that in the above threads.
Mediatrix likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iscussion.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-2017-a.html
Assuming you mean 42K PQDs ... likely to be a borderline case for initial qualification.

It most be all UA operated -- partner flights do not count. More on that in the above threads.
Thanks for the quick response! Yes, the 42K would be all United "metal". I made the mistake of flying a partner airline for one trip or I'd be closer to 47K. Appreciate your thoughts.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Thanks for the quick response! Yes, the 42K would be all United "metal". I made the mistake of flying a partner airline for one trip or I'd be closer to 47K. Appreciate your thoughts.
You'd be borderline with $42K spend on UA metal, but it's not impossible. My wife qualified for the first time with just under $40K. Lots of detailed discussion on the thread linked above!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:08 pm

Quite a simple query: I'm sitting on 20,817 PQMs for 2017, I bought myself 4000 miles (that's all I had the money for, was going to have more today but had a deadline of September 5th to buy them), so that left me 183 PQMs short. Went to buy more miles and told it's invitation only and I can't buy any more.

Queries: can I buy the remaining 183 PQMs anywhere? I live in Scotland, so a flight isn't exactly an easy option. I'm flying a few times next year so silver membership would be very useful. Alternatively, if I can't buy any more miles, will I be able to get that purchase refunded? As 20,817 miles is as much use to me as 24,999 miles at this point.

Would United consider giving me those 187 extra miles as a goodwill gesture?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shughamster
Quite a simple query: I'm sitting on 20,817 PQMs for 2017, I bought myself 4000 miles (that's all I had the money for, was going to have more today but had a deadline of September 5th to buy them), so that left me 183 PQMs short. Went to buy more miles and told it's invitation only and I can't buy any more.

Queries: can I buy the remaining 183 PQMs anywhere? ...
Yes, UA has a program called Premier Status Accelerator. It is more complicated, so see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2017-a.html
... Would United consider giving me those 187 extra miles as a goodwill gesture?
While possible, it is more likely they will not. And you will not know until February and then it is too late.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-2016-a.html
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I did a bunch of international business travel on Lufthansa this year (United tickets were over cap for business travel) so I have 76k PQM and credit card waiver for the PQD for Platinum. But I'm missing the 4 required United flights for any status. Any suggestions on how to get those 4 flights quickly? I'm SFO based.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by misosoup7
I did a bunch of international business travel on Lufthansa this year (United tickets were over cap for business travel) so I have 76k PQM and credit card waiver for the PQD for Platinum. But I'm missing the 4 required United flights for any status. Any suggestions on how to get those 4 flights quickly? I'm SFO based.
Welcome to FT!

From SFO, you can get four flights quickly pretty much anywhere you like. For example, SFO-LAX-LAS-LAX-SFO; you can do it in one day if you like. You never have to leave the airport.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, UA has a program called Premier Status Accelerator. It is more complicated, so see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2017-a.html
While possible, it is more likely they will not. And you will not know until February and then it is too late.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-2016-a.html
update: having emailed United, they said they were happy to move my status to Premier Silver because of the flights I'd purchased this year. However, my card says valid thru 01/18 which obviously means I can't use it next year when I need to. Is this just automated and it would renew for 2018 when January comes or will I need to email back again and chase this up?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is this just automated and it would renew for 2018 when January comes
Yes, assuming you get the extra PQMs along the way to truly qualify. And maybe even if you don't.

But it is normal to have the expiry date only to whatever "next" January is.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I went to book an award ticket from ORD to LHR.

"Saver" tickets were available in both directions. However the $$ added to each direction were drastically different.

$5.60 from ORD to LHR. Over $165 from LHR to ORD!

When did this change happen?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimmc66
I went to book an award ticket from ORD to LHR.

"Saver" tickets were available in both directions. However the $$ added to each direction were drastically different.

$5.60 from ORD to LHR. Over $165 from LHR to ORD!

When did this change happen?
There's no change. There's a massive difference in taxes. The UK charges an Air Passenger Duty on flights from Britain (not Northern Ireland). It's based on the distance to the next stopover. If you use the Excursionist Perk to add a stopover (> 24 hours) somewhere on the continent (or Ireland), you'll reduce the tax considerably.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, assuming you get the extra PQMs along the way to truly qualify. And maybe even if you don't.

But it is normal to have the expiry date only to whatever "next" January is.
Spoke to United again for clarification, they said my status is valid until January 2019 so I have it on record. Excellent customer service.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I want to cancel a flight and use the credit for a future ticket (after paying the change fee of course), on which RPU's have been applied (and in two cases cleared).

Will the RPU's automatically credit back to my account when I cancel, or do I have to pull them by calling in before cancelling the ticket?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Richym99
I want to cancel a flight and use the credit for a future ticket (after paying the change fee of course), on which RPU's have been applied (and in two cases cleared). ...
Best not to do online with cleared upgrades, better to use an agent

Originally Posted by Richym99
Will the RPU's automatically credit back to my account when I cancel, ....
Generally yes, occasionally they may get stuck for unknown reasons.
If you use an agent to make the change, they can return the RPUs immediately.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
update: having emailed United, they said they were happy to move my status to Premier Silver because of the flights I'd purchased this year. However, my card says valid thru 01/18 which obviously means I can't use it next year when I need to. Is this just automated and it would renew for 2018 when January comes or will I need to email back again and chase this up?
It will be updated by early next year. You will have Silver through January 2019 (unless you attain a higher status during next year) - congrats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.