Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
ok thanks. there used to be a way to load different passports in the profile. I have three, and needed to update one but now cannot get to the page where they used to be listed.
As mentioned, online access was removed. Confirmed in Dec 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
.... The quickest way to update passport information is through the United App during check-in for an international flight, as we have removed the passport data field from MileagePlus profiles on united.com. ....
-UA Insider
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:58 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
thanks, I did miss the memo LOL
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:05 am

Just purchased a ticket from united directly. I received an email that my reservation is processing but did not get a second email even after 24 hours. When I checked my reservation online, it said "This reservation was ticketed and confirmed." Also I can see my receipt with the eticket number on it. However, when I tried requesting for the receipt to be sent to several of my email accounts, it does not work and I received no emails from United. Is my booking confirmed as long as I can see my receipt online with my eticket number and confirmation code on it?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bryant.Jr
Is my booking confirmed as long as I can see my receipt online with my eticket number and confirmation code on it?
Yes, although to be extra sure, you can visit Saudia's site at http://www.saudia.com . Click on "Manage Bookings," then select "e-Ticket" and put your United e-Ticket number and last name. It should pull up your record, and the coupon status should be "Open for use" or "Airport control."
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I went to check into my flight, CVG-SFO-ICN right now, but it only shows the CVG-SFO leg as checked in but no mention of the SFO-ICN leg. Is it a matter of me presenting my passport over to them for verification at the airport check-in in CVG?

Of note, the layover is 13 hours.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by InterPlace55
it only shows the CVG-SFO leg as checked in but no mention of the SFO-ICN leg.
I would call to make sure the ticket is intact.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Silver, Marriott Gold
Two trips affected by family emergency

Im flying the return portion of a trip today--CLE-EWR-ALB. On Monday I'm due to fly ALB-EWR-MUC. A death in my sisters family means a trip to NY this weekend. Is there an easy way to either change today's trip to terminate in EWR and/or have Monday's trip begin from EWR? Changing Monday's departure is my preference.
also I have a confirmed upgrade on The EWR-MUC portion of my Monday trip.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hopel
Im flying the return portion of a trip today--CLE-EWR-ALB. On Monday I'm due to fly ALB-EWR-MUC. A death in my sisters family means a trip to NY this weekend. Is there an easy way to either change today's trip to terminate in EWR and/or have Monday's trip begin from EWR? Changing Monday's departure is my preference.
Condolences to you and your sister.

If EWR-ALB is the last segment in a trip, you can walk away from it with no penalties -- not a good thing to do on a regular basis, but onetime is OK. You will not be able to do that if you have check luggage. If checking luggage, you can try at CLE to ask for a short check -- but that is against policies.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...out-order.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...loopholes.html

As for the ALB-EWR, that will require a ticket change with change fees and fare changes. You may be able to get a death in the family refund if the deceased individual is a qualifying relative. See the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html.
The fare difference may be trickier but you can try that also.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2017 at 12:53 pm Reason: short checking link
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hopel
Unfortunately, changing origin or destination will require paying a change fee and refaring the ticket.

For today's flight, you can just get off at EWR and not fly the EWR-ALB segment. Checked bags would be a problem, as UA will typically not short-check them to an intermediate airport.

For Monday's flight, you would have to change the ticket to originate at EWR. The upgrade could be preserved, but the change could be expensive. If you explained the reason, a sympathetic agent might waive the change fee, but they're not going to waive any fare differential.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I just received a ETC and was wondering if spend counts toward PQD.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EJonLam
I just received a ETC and was wondering if spend counts toward PQD.
Yes, an ETC is just another form of payment like a credit card.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have 7000 miles about to expire. I am based in Europe and have no plans to fly within the US before the miles expire. Any attempt to spend the miles has drawn a blank - I am not eligible for Amazon.com gift cards (not a premier member), Apple won't ship outside the US.

Any ideas?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
I have 7000 miles about to expire. I am based in Europe and have no plans to fly within the US before the miles expire. Any attempt to spend the miles has drawn a blank - I am not eligible for Amazon.com gift cards (not a premier member), Apple won't ship outside the US.

Any ideas?
If you think the miles might be useful at some point, there are some ways to pretty inexpensively extend the expiration:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-thread.html
bluemoon68 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Would Feb flight schedule already be set now?
I see SFO-CDG isn't daily then. I'd rather go on Wednesday but if it means going on Thursday to fly non-stop that's fine.
I'll be taking the train from CDG to LYS and save about $600 so the non-stop works better getting to CDG around 10am vs. a connection in FRA or ZRH and arriving later in the day.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unfortunately, changing origin or destination will require paying a change fee and refaring the ticket.

For today's flight, you can just get off at EWR and not fly the EWR-ALB segment. Checked bags would be a problem, as UA will typically not short-check them to an intermediate airport.

For Monday's flight, you would have to change the ticket to originate at EWR. The upgrade could be preserved, but the change could be expensive. If you explained the reason, a sympathetic agent might waive the change fee, but they're not going to waive any fare differential.
Thank you, Kacee and WineCountryUA. I did fly back to ALB, and talked with Reservations today. The agent was sympathetic but the re-fare would cost over $1000--almost as much as my original ticket. Unfortunately that is the best she could offer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.