Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:40 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
I'm trying to convert a work trip from Newark to London into a mileage run by routing back via San Francisco. If I price that up on united.com as a EWR-LHR-SFO multi-city return and a separate SFO-EWR one-way the total comes to $800 in Y. But If I try and book it as a three-leg multi-city trip it prices at $5100 (ouch).

Anyone know if there a way to book all three legs as single trip to reduce irrop/misconnection risk? Or do I just have to choose a long layover in SFO and hope for the best?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TCD
Anyone know if there a way to book all three legs as single trip to reduce irrop/misconnection risk? Or do I just have to choose a long layover in SFO and hope for the best?
You cannot. The LHR-SFO fare almost certainly prohibits combination with domestic US fares, and so it requires something like a C fare in order to combine.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:54 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by findark
You cannot. The LHR-SFO fare almost certainly prohibits combination with domestic US fares, and so it requires something like a C fare in order to combine.
I feared that was the case. Thanks for confirming it though. I guess I'll be booking as separate tickets with a 6h layover for safety then.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly046
None of the reps understood the 2x $100 and were willing to refund except charging me for the 2x $50 saying those are separate from close-in booking fees.

At the end of day, my question really is aren't Award Booking Fees within 21 days the same as close-in booking fees?
Changes and new bookings are subject to a different set of fees, which is why I asked. The card probably does not exempt you from change fees, but it absolutely should exempt you from the $50 that you paid as a close-in booking fee.

I would request a refund, and, if denied, contact Chase and initiate a chargeback, citing the terms and conditions of the Club Card. You've run into a MOLA (Mistaken or Lying Agent) -- there is no "different fee" for a new booking besides that covered by the card.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
With the aircraft swap, I lost my E- aisle seat which I was fine

However I was re-seated to E+ (good thing) but in a middle seat (bad thing)

I take it there is not moving within E+ once you are seated there without paying?

Is there ever a time that will be allowed without charge. The seat next to my GF (window seat) is open and she is in the middle two rows behind me. If that stays open will there be a time I can just move there or is the only way to fork over the $139. the flight is tomorrow a.m. early. about 12 hours from now.

thanks
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
With the aircraft swap, I lost my E- aisle seat which I was fine

However I was re-seated to E+ (good thing) but in a middle seat (bad thing)

I take it there is not moving within E+ once you are seated there without paying?

Is there ever a time that will be allowed without charge. ....
There is what the rules state -- you should be charged if you to chose an E+ seat (vs being assigned one by UA)
and
there is what might happen if you ask -- unknown but no harm in asking.

If you attempt to move yourself online / via the app -- you will lose your present seat and be charged for any new E+ seat assignment. So you only route is asking an agent (phone or airport).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 1, 2017 at 7:17 pm Reason: nm
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: United Premier Silver
Fantastic. Thank you!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:02 am

Can I book an itin for two where only one of the travelers is flying first and the other one will wait for CPU?

IAD-LAX r/t
I'm plat/ my wife is GM

I plan book -

IAD-LAX (me) coach + rpu
IAD-LAX (wife) coach + rpu
LAX-IAD (me) first
LAX-IAD (wife) cpu?

The reason I'd like to be on the paid F is to get the PQMs.
doable?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
Can I book an itin for two where only one of the travelers is flying first and the other one will wait for CPU?

IAD-LAX r/t
I'm plat/ my wife is GM

I plan book -

IAD-LAX (me) coach + rpu
LAX-IAD (me) first
LAX-IAD (wife) cpu?

The reason I'd like to be on the paid F is to get the PQMs.
doable?
Not at all possible.

If there is no penalty for one-ways versus RT, you can book your wife and you together on the outbound. But inbound must differ if you really want those PQMs, and your wife would never get that upgrade.

However, I'd book you both separately, giving up your RPU to her, and then you relying on CPU for IAD-LAX. (Although if that's the one lie-flat, that is a really tough CPU for a Plat).
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

I plan book -

IAD-LAX (me) coach + rpu
LAX-IAD (me) first
LAX-IAD (wife) cpu?
Not possible, as aacharya explained. The itineraries must be identical to be on the same PNR, including class of service.

But I admire your optimism on clearing the upgrades
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not possible, as aacharya explained. The itineraries must be identical to be on the same PNR, including class of service.

But I admire your optimism on clearing the upgrades
HAHA thank you both It is just a regular F, not lie flat seat. Worst case, i'd look for TOD. also I'm looking to do Sun-Sun so not a usual business traveler 1K-GS route.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Worst case, i'd look for TOD. ....
Don't assume this will earn PQMs, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ome-don-t.html

...also I'm looking to do Sun-Sun so not a usual business traveler 1K-GS route.
Sunday afternoon/evening is a peak business transcon travel time -- be available for Monday morning.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Don't assume this will earn PQMs, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ome-don-t.html

Sunday afternoon/evening is a peak business transcon travel time -- be available for Monday morning.
IAD-LAX at 6:15am on a sunday... I think it'll be fine. Worse case, ill seat in e+

Last edited by justsawaufo; Aug 2, 2017 at 11:14 am
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Trying to get to Silver

I am not a frequent traveler but have done a few trips in the last year and I am trying to jump through all the hoops to make Silver.

I understand it is a combination of miles, segments and dollars - on top of a 4 flight segment minimum.

Currently I have:

23,967 miles
6.5 segments
$2,506 dollars

Won't make the credit card spend waiver.

QUESTIONS

1. I just bought $2000 worth of tickets to Amsterdam (not including upgrade fees) Will this money paid (not on a UA credit card) eventually show up or do I have to fly the route first? (Bought tickets July 27th)

2. I believe I need 25,000 miles . . . I should get them when I fly to Amsterdam in December. Is there any advantage to me BUYING 1,500 miles now? Will that make me Silver, sooner? And if so, what difference would it make as I have already upgraded my flights?

Thanks! seems like I am close enough to make it happen, if only to say I did it??
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
I am not a frequent traveler but have done a few trips in the last year and I am trying to jump through all the hoops to make Silver.

I understand it is a combination of miles, segments and dollars - on top of a 4 flight segment minimum.

Currently I have:

23,967 miles
6.5 segments
$2,506 dollars

Won't make the credit card spend waiver.

QUESTIONS

1. I just bought $2000 worth of tickets to Amsterdam (not including upgrade fees) Will this money paid (not on a UA credit card) eventually show up or do I have to fly the route first? (Bought tickets July 27th)

2. I believe I need 25,000 miles . . . I should get them when I fly to Amsterdam in December. Is there any advantage to me BUYING 1,500 miles now? Will that make me Silver, sooner? And if so, what difference would it make as I have already upgraded my flights?

Thanks! seems like I am close enough to make it happen, if only to say I did it??
I'm sure there's a thread on this somewhere, but I don't see it. In order to qualify for Silver status, you need 25,000 Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) or 30 Premier Qualifying Segments (PQS). You also need $3,000 Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQD) or the credit card spending waiver, and four segments on United-operated flights (partner flights don't count).

PQMs, PQSes, and PQDs are all credited to the passenger's account, regardless of who purchases the ticket. They won't be credited until after the flight is complete. Note that PQMs are completely independent of the so-called "redeemable miles" (RDMs) which can be spent for flights / upgrades / etc. PQMs, PQSes, and PQDs reset on January 1 every year, and your earned status is good for the remainder of the year you qualify, the entire year following, and until January 31 of the year after that; in other words, if you qualify for Silver this year, you'll be Silver (or higher) through January 31, 2019.

There's a thread to the benefits of each Premier level here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-levels.html . As you can see, there are very few benefits to Silver that are any better than you'll get from an upgraded flight on its own -- essentially, just a 40% bonus on redeemable miles. IMO, it's not worth spending money on.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.