Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JBG89
Hi all,

I booked a revenue Economy regular ticket as a platinum member, however, am not able to see my name on the upgrade list. I called in and was transferred to web support in which they were not of any help either, saying that I would see my name on the list when I checked in.

However, as a 1k last year, and platinum this year, I have usually been able to see my name without checkin 72 hours before.

Have things changed or is this an error at all?

Thanks!
You won’t see your name on the upgrade list before checkin (typically T-24) unless the upgrade clears. If it clears your name will appear with your seat assignment.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:13 am

I booked an award ticket earlier this year for later this year that has 3 legs of international travel, and have gotten a number of minor schedule changes to the itinerary that I've clicked Approve on through the web interface. Now, one of the flights is again showing its times in red text (and shifted ~10 minutes) but there isn't an Approve button, and on the mobile app it continues to show up as "Waitlisted" now. Should I be worried?

The small change did make the connection time in LAX (Domestic -> International) just under two hours, but I assume the MCT is 90 minutes or less.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:07 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JBG89

However, as a 1k last year, and platinum this year, I have usually been able to see my name without checkin 72 hours before.

Have things changed or is this an error at all?
No, things have not changed.

Originally Posted by getagb
You won’t see your name on the upgrade list before checkin (typically T-24) unless the upgrade clears. If it clears your name will appear with your seat assignment.
This is correct.

Methinks your upgrade cleared - and you showed up on u/g list along with your seat #

This time, not so much, so you won't see your name on u/g list until you check in (or your u/g clears).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:41 am

Need to help my brother book an award flight from MUC-ORD in coach. UA and LH both have flights. If he books UA - will he definitely be able to purchase economy plus for extra legroom? That would tip the scale in UA's favor.
Thank you!!!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CherylD
If he books UA - will he definitely be able to purchase economy plus for extra legroom?
Yes, assuming there are E+ seats available, they will definitely be offered for sale on an award ticket.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, assuming there are E+ seats available, they will definitely be offered for sale on an award ticket.
And unless booking at last minute there is almost always E+ available for purchase.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Best United Club in IAD? Looks like there are 3...by C7, D8, and C17.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by CherylD
Need to help my brother book an award flight from MUC-ORD in coach. UA and LH both have flights. If he books UA - will he definitely be able to purchase economy plus for extra legroom? That would tip the scale in UA's favor.
Thank you!!!
Yes, I was able to purchase economy plus on award tickets just this past month on HNL-NRT.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: United 1K
The excursionist perk will be in the class of travel of the previous segment of the itinerary, correct?

What if I applied a GPU to that previous segment and it was actually not booked as a Business or First class ticket?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by dangerhsun
The excursionist perk will be in the class of travel of the previous segment of the itinerary, correct?

What if I applied a GPU to that previous segment and it was actually not booked as a Business or First class ticket?
Same class or lower:

The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
You can’t apply a GPU to an award ticket unless you have Global Services status. From the global services wiki:

GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by getagb
You can’t apply a GPU to an award ticket unless you have Global Services status.
His profile does say "UA Global Services".
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dangerhsun

While I'm not a GS and I don't know for sure, in general, applying an upgrade does not change the fare rules of the underlying ticket. In this case, I would expect that applying a GPU to one award segment would not affect the excursionist perk on the following segment, and you would only be able to get the class of service originally purchased (or lower).

In other words, it's not necessarily based on the actual class of travel of the previous segment, but rather the class (originally) booked. I'd expect the same thing as a non-GS if I were to purchase a TOD upgrade on leg 1 of my journey; if I then called UA and asked to be re-seated in J on my excursionist perk leg, I would think they'd turn me down.

You can certainly call GS and ask them, however. :-)
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
His profile does say "UA Global Services".
Ah, okay. It doesn’t appear on the mobile version of the site.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Just to make sure - If SDC isn't available I can same-day standby, both of which is free for Gold and up. If my stand-by doesn't get confirmed, should I wait by the gate until boarding completes to hope to have it confirmed at the gate or is it hopeless and I shouldn't bother leaving the lounge if my standby isn't confirmed, say, 30mins before departure? Never done stand-by.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Smiley90
If my stand-by doesn't get confirmed, should I wait by the gate until boarding completes to hope to have it confirmed at the gate or is it hopeless and I shouldn't bother leaving the lounge if my standby isn't confirmed, say, 30mins before departure? Never done stand-by.
The nature of standby is you won't be confirmed in advance. Go to the gate around T-30. Ask the agent where you are on the list and how it looks. Then wait at the gate until they close the door. Unless the flight is overbooked, there's a very good chance you'll clear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.