Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:17 pm

I have a mixed class fare, with a segment in fare class B going there and a return segment in Q on the way back.

Two questions:
1) If I need to make changes to the date on the outbound, I assume it will be permitted given the B class, perhaps just paying the difference in fare at the time of change. Correct?
2) What if I need a refund on the entire flight? Segment in B is refundable, but Q is not, so would I get a partial refund?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by simchi
I have a mixed class fare, with a segment in fare class B going there and a return segment in Q on the way back.

Two questions:
1) If I need to make changes to the date on the outbound, I assume it will be permitted given the B class, perhaps just paying the difference in fare at the time of change. Correct? ...
There will probably be a change fee (see below) and the entire ticket will be repriced. Outbound and returned.

Originally Posted by simchi
2) What if I need a refund on the entire flight? Segment in B is refundable, but Q is not, so would I get a partial refund?
The most restrictive fare rules of an itin applied to the entire itin. So the ticket is bound by the most restrictive rules of either the Q or B fare rules.

These are standard industry policies.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA GS
UA MP miles on SK operated by BE

Hi there. As part of an intercontinental itinerary an SAS ticket, can I earn MileagePlus RDM and PQM for a flight with an SK flight number but operated by Flybe? Thank you!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsl42
Hi there. As part of an intercontinental itinerary an SAS ticket, can I earn MileagePlus RDM and PQM for a flight with an SK flight number but operated by Flybe? Thank you!
No. Flybe is not a United partner so the flight is not eligible for MileagePlus credit. UA uses the operating carrier as the determining factor.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
can united.com see award availability on Ethiopian ?

I'm looking at ADD-SEZ.
Expert flyer shows availability, but no matter what dates I try on united.com it comes back with nothing. united.com does come back it I search for revenue fares.

Is it a case that ethiopian doesn't release awards to partners ?

UPDATE

Looking in the ET forum shows that there is an ongoing glitch that means ET awards are not showing on UA. Check the more recent posts here:-
Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Last edited by tangey; Jun 6, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:08 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
So, I rarely actually gripe or complain to UNITED officially about anything, but I am not thrilled with my overall experience Monday. I'd enjoy hearing your advice about the proper way to voice my displeasure.

I was booked on a paid business ticket FCO-FRA-IAH (on the UA flight FRA-IAH, LH FCO FRA) Upon arrival at the check-in desk Monday morning LH could not find my seat reserved in their system. They could pull up the rez by the UA ticket number but UA had not requested the seat from LH. I called the 1k line and after some waiting was told to ask if they had biz seats available to which the LH agent said they did but UA could not get it booked. At one point the first UA agent told me to "sort it out myself" since I was at the ticket counter... I called back and second explained they needed a Z fare on LH. Well, that is fine, but why sell me a ticket weeks out and then not actually get the seat from LH.

Well, the second 1k agent says she can get me on the UA flight to IAD then IAH. This does not thrill me as the arrival time is much later and I do not like connecting back in the USA even with GE and precheck, but I had little choice but to take it. Of course my IAH flight was delayed due to weather but I made it to IAH about 9:20pm. I'd also prefer to be in biz on a lie-flat 777 for most of the trip versus the ~3 hours in domestic F instead but yes these are first world problems ;-)

In summary, I think the "you can work it out yourself" attitude was unsat and the UA inability to finalise a flight with LH even though they sold me the ticket was as well.

Yes I got from point A to B and do not expect compensation per se but would like to ensure something like this does not happen again. Do you think writing the 1K feedback email is the best option to explain? Or another route?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
.... In summary, I think the "you can work it out yourself" attitude was unsat and the UA inability to finalise a flight with LH even though they sold me the ticket was as well.

Yes I got from point A to B and do not expect compensation per se but would like to ensure something like this does not happen again. Do you think writing the 1K feedback email is the best option to explain? Or another route?
Hard to tell if the issue was LH or UA related -- they, of course, are going to blame the other, so anything either states about the cause is to be taken with suspicion.

While the agent was probably correct you were in the best position in front of an airport agent (who has more power than a phone agent), a customer should never feel unsupported in a problem situation.

As what to do? Dependents on what you want to happen. You will likely get a apology and some miles or ETC. You will not likely get a real answer to the problem or a guarantee anything will really happen to prevent this in the future. May a comment "we will submit a problem report. "

But yes, an email to 1K CS is warranted, UA needs the feedback but you will never know what happens afterwards.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Is there a rhyme or reason to when Saver Awards (econ) are "often" released for a particular route?

Im trying to book CVG-ORD the first week in May '18, and after having watched availability slowly pop up for Mon-Weds each week in April, assumed any day now my dates would start showing. But alas, no. Is it a case of any day now? Maybe months? Maybe never?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:53 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by elsenor
Is there a rhyme or reason to when Saver Awards (econ) are "often" released for a particular route?

<snip>

Maybe months? Maybe never?
This.

Revenue management works in mysterious ways and may or may not release saver seats if many remain unsold.

IME saver seats popped up a few days before departure if many unsold seats remain. Not many are able to book at last minute, moreover there is that close in fee if not top elite, which is why I no longer take advantage of this.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
If I am flying on Air New Zealand, booked through Expedia, does this qualify me for PQM's with United? I know it wont for PQD and PQS, but curious for PQM as this could propel me to 1K if so.

Thanks
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by EmailKid
This.

Revenue management works in mysterious ways and may or may not release saver seats if many remain unsold.

IME saver seats popped up a few days before departure if many unsold seats remain. Not many are able to book at last minute, moreover there is that close in fee if not top elite, which is why I no longer take advantage of this.
Thank you. Good to know. I thought for certain (ok, not exactly haha) I was watching seats almost become available only to see them stall and not show up. Perfect world they pop up in the next few days. If not, I'll just skip the positioning flight to ensure we get the NS international leg and deal with the drive (or low cost position).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by raheeezy
If I am flying on Air New Zealand, booked through Expedia, does this qualify me for PQM's with United? I know it wont for PQD and PQS, but curious for PQM as this could propel me to 1K if so.

Thanks
As long as it's not an F, I, N, or R ticket, you can earn PQMs AND PQSs.

UA site for details.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by raheeezy

Thanks
you may earn PQM and PQS depending on the fare class. See the New Zealand earning page’s MileagePlus Premier earning section.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
I'm flying CLE-IAH, flight time 3h05 with a 6:10pm departure.

Considering MUA to First- will there be a meal on this flight?

UA NAm Dining site would indicate "yes", but Upgrade option shows "United First / Snacks Available for Purchase"
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Wooglin
I'm flying CLE-IAH, flight time 3h05 with a 6:10pm departure.

Considering MUA to First- will there be a meal on this flight?

UA NAm Dining site would indicate "yes", but Upgrade option shows "United First / Snacks Available for Purchase"
Yes there should be a meal at this time of day but generally these flights are UX operated. If so, there are no hot meals on UX flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.