Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA, AS, SQ, LH
Upgraded United flight — possible to credit miles to other star alliance carrier?

I upgraded my flight from EWR - SFO using a RPU, the booking code is now PN. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can credit the miles from this flight to a star alliance. I'm thinking to credit to Asiana Airlines, to be able to reach SA Gold. Does anyone know if the fare class qualifies for mile credit and what the accrual rate would be?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by blnnik
Does anyone know if the fare class qualifies for mile credit and what the accrual rate would be?
Mileage credit is based on the purchased fare class, not the upgraded fare class. So, if your ticket was eligible for mileage accrual before the upgrade, you will get miles at that rate.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:24 am

A question about CPUs:

First, as a lowly Silver I know my chances of one are essentially nil. But ...

How does one know they've received a CPU when at stations that don't have the monitors displaying the upgrade list? Is it at the gate when one's BP is scanned? Is it beforehand via PA page? Some other way(s)?

Thanks for the assistance.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:44 am

Flying ORD to HKG. Leave in the early afternoon. Says the only meal i reveive is lunch? Flying economy. Is this accurate? I feel like a 16 hour flight you would have multiple meals even in economy? Sorry. Newbie flying UA. Just trying to plan ahead.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by yowspotter
A question about CPUs:

First, as a lowly Silver I know my chances of one are essentially nil. But ...

How does one know they've received a CPU when at stations that don't have the monitors displaying the upgrade list? Is it at the gate when one's BP is scanned? Is it beforehand via PA page? Some other way(s)?

Thanks for the assistance.
If you have the United app, you can check it at any time to see the list and your seat assignment. Otherwise, if you are CPUed while standing at the gate, scanning the old BP will beep to alert the GA. Sometimes you get CPUed after boarding, and they will come on the plane to tell you.

But most reliable way to stay on top of the situation is to use the app.

Originally Posted by supergriff34
Flying ORD to HKG. Leave in the early afternoon. Says the only meal i reveive is lunch? Flying economy. Is this accurate? I feel like a 16 hour flight you would have multiple meals even in economy? Sorry. Newbie flying UA. Just trying to plan ahead.
There should be an arrival meal service as well. The GDS only has room for one meal code so they list the departure meal.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:14 am

Many thanks, findark.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Thank you for the answer. Bummer. I'll join AA mileage thingy then. Happy travels.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
23 unassigned Polaris seats. Standby list for Economy and Polaris show "full". Flight departs in 20 hours. When searching for tickets for this flight, I don't see any available. Operational upgrade a possibility?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by saFlyTalk
23 unassigned Polaris seats. Standby list for Economy and Polaris show "full". Flight departs in 20 hours. When searching for tickets for this flight, I don't see any available. Operational upgrade a possibility?
Flight number?
In FLight Status
What does the upgrade list report (+ XX blocked)??
What is reported as sold?

Other reason for lack of availaibility could be a planned equipment change.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Flight number?
In FLight Status
What does the upgrade list report (+ XX blocked)??
What is reported as sold?

Other reason for lack of availaibility could be a planned equipment change.
Capacity 48
Booked Full
Checked In 2

UA983

No +XX Blocked
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by saFlyTalk
Capacity 48
Booked Full
Checked In 2

UA983

No +XX Blocked
Booked full, not blocked suggests all the seats are actually sold, no op-ups. This is either a large group that has not picked/assigned seats yet or a downsizing of the aircraft is planned. Either way -- no major op-ups.

Coming from China / HGH, the large tour group is not implausible.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Booked full, not blocked suggests all the seats are actually sold, no op-ups. This is either a large group that has not picked/assigned seats yet or a downsizing of the aircraft is planned. Either way -- no major op-ups.

Coming from China / HGH, the large tour group is not implausible.
Believe that if the forward cabin has no seats for sale, it will show "Full" regardless of the blocked count, right?

If that's true then definitely op-ups.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by findark
Believe that if the forward cabin has no seats for sale, it will show "Full" regardless of the blocked count, right?

If that's true then definitely op-ups.
If Y was over sold to force the Full in business, then there would be +xx blocked.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
If you have the United app, you can check it at any time to see the list and your seat assignment. Otherwise, if you are CPUed while standing at the gate, scanning the old BP will beep to alert the GA. Sometimes you get CPUed after boarding, and they will come on the plane to tell you.

But most reliable way to stay on top of the situation is to use the app.
I actually had a PDX-IAD flight that never showed on the monitors nor on the app. I was confident I had been upgraded since they had 5 seats free in 1st as pre-boarding began and I was number 1.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If Y was over sold to force the Full in business, then there would be +xx blocked.
It won't. When "booked" plus "blocked" equals capacity, the "blocked" figure disappears and it just shows "booked full" even though there are unsold seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.