Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TommyB1965
2) I am trying to book a round ticket using expert mode - I usually try for classes Y, B (upgrade, no co pay) first, and then if it is too expensive extend it to M, E, U (lower co pay). When I searched I got a good price for B class on the outbound, but way too expensive on the return leg, so I woudl like to book B outbound and then M,E or U return ... but I cant see how to force the website to that option
You can't; you'd have to call. However, I expect that you may be chasing a ghost; UA's price display does weird things sometimes when it tries to compute a per-leg price from a roundtrip fare. It's possible -- even likely -- that the price you're seeing isn't actually half of a B roundtrip, but rather something else entirely.

If you're so inclined, you can use ITA Matrix to search; in the advanced options, you can specify a fare class in just one direction. To search all UA-coded flights with a Y or B fare, use this advanced option string:
Code:
ua* / f bc=b|bc=y
That will allow you to do the search that you want; if you see something you like, you can then call it into UA.

Last edited by jsloan; Jan 5, 2017 at 10:02 am Reason: formatting
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TommyB1965
I have two unrelated questions :

1) I notice my UA PQM & PQD are now showing zero for year to date (2017). Previously the year ran til Jan 31st, has that now changed? I am just short of getting Platinum and have a flight planned next week that would get me over the line ...
Status qualification is (and has always been) based on calendar year earnings. Your earned status will last until January 31 of the second following year, but qualification is based on flights from January 1 to December 31.

Originally Posted by Wooglin
If I change a flight with a confirmed RPU before check-in, does the RPU get redeposited, or does it get auto-applied to the new flight?

What if I SDC?
I believe the computer will not auto-reapply, but I would never attempt to change a flight online. If you call, you can request that the agent move the RPU with the reservation (and confirm into the premium cabin is R is available).

Originally Posted by TCD
Wow, I'd missed that about PDE for UX flights. That's actually pretty exciting. Do you know the timescale?
According to the fleet site, all E75 and E70 aircraft and most of the CR7 fleet should have WiFi and PDE. I'm not aware of plans to bring PDE to the smaller planes (E45/CR2/DH2/etc).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:27 am

Does United offer Prosecco in domestic First (e.g. EWR-MIA)?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nygiants242
Does United offer Prosecco in domestic First (e.g. EWR-MIA)?
I believe it is catered on all mainline flights, although I can't remember if I have verified this on non-transcon or Express flights (my tastes tend toward cocktails or beer for short hops).

Last edited by findark; Jan 5, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
How can I get credit for miles with United if I fly American for up coming trip? I do not have AA mileage account, but I do have a UA mileage acount.

Last edited by cheryl.retired; Jan 9, 2017 at 12:47 pm Reason: remove unecessary comment
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, cheryl.retired -- there are number of us retired folks on the forum

Originally Posted by cheryl.retired
... How can I get credit for miles with United if I fly American for up coming trip?
Easy answer -- you can not.
UA and AA are different alliances -- no mileage credit.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ELAL
Bad news, meaning that all my Europe-NYC tickets which cost around 500 USD only bring me 2500 points, while flying on other airlines brings 3 times as much!
In which program? BA or LH or AF/KL generally only issue partial credit for the cheaper fares. An LH K fare only earns 25% of miles flown and that's typically what the $500 return trips are selling in.

If flying UA metal with ticket issued by LH , do I get credited 5x the fare or distance flown?
All UA metal credits based on fare, even if sold by another airline.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver
s there a way I can see if they're still flying 757's out of IAH and if so which routes they're assigned?

It's my favorite aircraft and I'd like to try to book a ride on one. I used to fly it IAH - LAS frequently and I was excited to see last year they added one on that route but it turned out to be only temporary.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
s there a way I can see if they're still flying 757's out of IAH and if so which routes they're assigned?...
Believe there is a way using the ITA tool to specify aircraft.

On united.com, not any easy way. There is a monthly narrowbody schedule on unitedcargo.com -- you can scroll down to IAH and then search for 752. That will tell you what routes to check.

Looks like EWR and LAX are it from IAH in January

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 5, 2017 at 9:08 pm Reason: results
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:55 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Bad news, meaning that all my Europe-NYC tickets which cost around 500 USD only bring me 2500 points, while flying on other airlines brings 3 times as much!

If flying UA metal with ticket issued by LH , do I get credited 5x the fare or distance flown?
With all the joint ventures; it's pretty easy to pick and choose what stock to book under depending on which will get you more RDMs. That said keep in mind that partner flights on partner stock don't earn PQDs, while they do on UA stock.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Does anyone know if United has a policy on using plastic totes (rubbermaid sort of thing) as a suitcase on an international flight. Foreign to US flight. Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Would suggest the plastic tote go inside of a cardboard box, but I'd say there are no issues with it. Or at least use the Home Depot type totes. (more rugged and not see through).
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Thanks, something like this.

Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by DrewBach
Does anyone know if United has a policy on using plastic totes (rubbermaid sort of thing) as a suitcase on an international flight. Foreign to US flight. Thanks!
Originally Posted by DrewBach
Thanks, something like this.

As long as the dimensional and weight aspects are met, then the concerns with be survivability of the container (the larger heavy duty containers should be fine IMO) and how secure the lid is. The lid would be my concern and I would not trust the standard lids at all. It would need to be taped or sealed in a better manner than the container normally is sealed.

And more to the point of the original question, I believe I have seen these (heavily tape) on baggage carousals.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Been awhile since I've done extensive UA award searches so I'm a bit rusty.

What fare class availability would I be looking for if I want upgrade with miles from a paid TATL ticket? Y/B/M/E/U fare basis, no status. Thinking it's just R, but have some recollection of PN and can't remember if it's elite-only or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.