Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: *wood Plat, FB Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Short answer is UA pays no attention to the age in the reservation. (except for lap children)

Appears you/UA have split the reservations or had the child on a separate reservation.
A check-in, to be considered for an upgrade, reservations are split.
The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

You can call or wait until the gate and request downgrades.
Thanks! I had no idea about this split reservation thing. Somehow we never had that issue before.
I might have overlooked a split/no split check box when I checked us in (on the app), it's possible I guess.

Well, now I have to hope that our daughter will clear upgrade by the time we board
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lebadaud
Thanks! I had no idea about this split reservation thing. Somehow we never had that issue before.
I might have overlooked a split/no split check box when I checked us in (on the app), it's possible I guess.

Well, now I have to hope that our daughter will clear upgrade by the time we board
There's no checkbox when you're on an instrument upgrade. The only way to avoid the split is to remove the instruments (GPUs or miles + copay) before you check in (or possibly before T-24; I'm not sure which).
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lebadaud

Personally I'd keep the upgrades even if your daughter's doesn't clear. 2 out of 3 is pretty good upgrade rate. May be a pain, but 2 upfront, you can have daughter up front with you and your wife splitting time in the other seats. No guarantee to sit together in the back at this point either if you gave up the upgrades.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Hi,

2 simple questions as *A Gold:

1) The +1 at *A lounges: In FRA, MUC etc. where LH (again as example) have multiple lounges per terminal, am I allowed to enter to one of them with friend A, and after one hour or so enter to another one with friend B?

2) If my Itinerary combined for several travelers, do we all have premier access for check in and boarding?

Thanks,
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mikethe1
.... 1) The +1 at *A lounges: In FRA, MUC etc. where LH (again as example) have multiple lounges per terminal, am I allowed to enter to one of them with friend A, and after one hour or so enter to another one with friend B? ...
Probably OK, assuming Friend A has left. If you are thinking of repeatedly entering and effectively getting multiple companions over a series of entries -- this is clearly not allowed. LH lounge agents would "flown" on this if discovered.

Originally Posted by mikethe1
...2) If my Itinerary combined for several travelers, do we all have premier access for check in and boarding? ...
If on the same PNR yes and generally even on separate PNRs, depends on the carrier and number of groupies.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
Delay in status update?

Regarding elite status - has anyone experienced a delay in having this updated when crossing a tier? I searched around and found some threads from 2016 on this but all seemed to indicate it should happen within hours of the miles posting.

Background: I am a United Club cardholder (so 4 segments waived) and I’ve lived in Australia the past 2.5 years (so PQD waived). I crossed 50K PQM on Nov 15th (AC flight from BNE-YVR-ORD) and the miles posted sometime over the weekend. I am still showing as a “Member”. I phoned MileagePlus on Sunday and was first told “you need to wait 7 days after PQMs post before status is updated” which didn’t seem right, so I asked the agent to check with her supervisor. She did and came back with “you need to wait another 24-72 hours”. This again seemed odd so I asked them to look into my account to ensure nothing was funny given my situation is a bit unique. I was on hold for about 30 minutes and then the rep came back and said they had looked into everything; repeated my account info back to me, nothing was amiss, and “rest assured” you are Gold, it just hasn’t updated.

Has anyone come across this? I fly back home to Australia next week and would like to ensure my account is updated by then. I can’t seem to find any other accounts of this sort of delay, apart from a delay of a few hours or so.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Marno
.... I am still showing as a “Member”. ...
Aren't you a Silver?

.... I can’t seem to find any other accounts of this sort of delay, apart from a delay of a few hours or so.
A few days for the data to percolate thru the system is not uncommon so may be premature to panic.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:20 pm

Thanks, that’s helpful - not panicking yet but was contemplating investing another 60-90 minutes on the phone with MP. Thought best to ask first.

I asked about Silver at the very end of the conversation but apparently the Club card waiver only registered in their system on the 15th, and they thought it was normal for this to also take 7 days for changes to happen (I changed over from Amex Platinum specifically for this as we are moving from Melbourne to Manila in 3 weeks and will be flying UA - and *A - much more often).
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked about Silver at the very end of the conversation but apparently the Club card waiver only registered in their system on the 15th, and they thought it was normal for this to also take 7 days for changes to happen (I changed over from Amex Platinum specifically for this as we are moving from Melbourne to Manila in 3 weeks and will be flying UA - and *A - much more often).
The first thing that I would do is visit http://mystatus.united.com and see where it believed I was falling short. My guess is that it's the segments, of course, but it could be something silly -- perhaps they've got a US address for you.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:23 pm

Thanks - I did check there and they have my Australian address which has not changed for at least 2 years (and prior to that I was living in Hong Kong - so there hasn’t been a US address for at least 6 years). They also show the 4 segments as fulfilled and there is a note that PQD do not apply as my address is outside the US. Puzzling but I will be patient.

Originally Posted by jsloan
My guess is that it's the segments, of course.
Actually... mystatus shows 4 dark gray dots beside segments. I had thought that when segments were not fulfilled they appeared a very light gray or white. But perhaps I am mistaken?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 20, 2017 at 9:47 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually... mystatus shows 4 dark gray dots beside segments. I had thought that when segments were not fulfilled they appeared a very light gray or white. But perhaps I am mistaken?
The fulfilled requirements appear as white checkmarks against a background of a blue circle (at least, if you've flown them).

I'd expect that you should get a "waived" message once the Club Card status shows up. I'm not a cardmember so I'm not familiar with that particular message though.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:54 pm

That's probably it, then. Thank you. Will update as to how this turns out.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Hi - likely simple question: If an upgrade is confirmed (via miles+copay) and the flight is subsequently changed or cancelled, what happens to the miles and money? I'm considering upgrading the return leg of an upcoming TATL business trip (return flight is currently showing wide-open R9 RN9 and I have a lot of miles to burn), but last-minute rebookings and cancellations are pretty common on these trips. I've done this with E+ seat fees a couple of times in the past few months (paid for E+ then had to cancel the ticket later) and the fees were refunded to my CC automatically with no need to call United. Is the same usually true for business upgrades?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by chleonard
Hi - likely simple question: If an upgrade is confirmed (via miles+copay) and the flight is subsequently changed or cancelled, what happens to the miles and money? I'm considering upgrading the return leg of an upcoming TATL business trip (return flight is currently showing wide-open R9 RN9 and I have a lot of miles to burn), but last-minute rebookings and cancellations are pretty common on these trips. I've done this with E+ seat fees a couple of times in the past few months (paid for E+ then had to cancel the ticket later) and the fees were refunded to my CC automatically with no need to call United. Is the same usually true for business upgrades?
If you cancel a flight with a confirmed or waitlisted upgrade, the miles and copay will be returned. This will generally be automatically and copay will take the longest -- weeks. Occasionally you may need to call.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Probably OK, assuming Friend A has left. If you are thinking of repeatedly entering and effectively getting multiple companions over a series of entries -- this is clearly not allowed. LH lounge agents would "flown" on this if discovered.
I'm confused: "If you are thinking of repeatedly entering and effectively getting multiple companions over a series of entries": Yes, I want to enter 2 times with 2 different companions. What you mean by "assuming Friend A has left"? Thanks,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.