Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Thinking of flying UA for the first time without *G. Question with checked bags.

Trying to book EWR-MBJ r/t. Outbound in J and inbound in Y. Same tix.

Do I get J bag allowance on the return leg as well?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Thinking of flying UA for the first time without *G. Question with checked bags.

Trying to book EWR-MBJ r/t. Outbound in J and inbound in Y. Same tix.

Do I get J bag allowance on the return leg as well?
If a round trip and the return is purely in the economy, then the return bag allowance is economy.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Hello,

I want to confirm what I was told is correct. I purchased a Lufthansa Premium Economy Ticket. I then paid for the business class upgrade on the long haul flight. This changed two legs of my trip to Business Z class. I want to confirm for those two legs, mileage plus is going to give me 200% for Premier qualification.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by santimar
... I purchased a Lufthansa Premium Economy Ticket. I then paid for the business class upgrade on the long haul flight. This changed two legs of my trip to Business Z class. I want to confirm for those two legs, mileage plus is going to give me 200% for Premier qualification. ....
Yes, a purchased Z flown on LH will earn 200% PQMs if credited to UA MP.

See https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=298
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, a purchased Z flown on LH will earn 200% PQMs if credited to UA MP.
Yes, but I did mine Z class by paying for an upgrade. Still qualify?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 5, 2017 at 8:19 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by santimar
Yes, but I did mine Z class by paying for an upgrade. Still qualify?
If by 'paying for an upgrade' you mean paying with money, and your ticket is indeed fared in Z, then yes it should earn 200% as WineCountryUA noted. If that is not what you mean, perhaps more description of what you did is necessary.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If a conference buys me a ticket, can I then pay to change the routing and up-fare within 24h without paying a change fee?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by segiddins
If a conference buys me a ticket, can I then pay to change the routing and up-fare within 24h without paying a change fee?
Generally no to changing the routing. The 24h exemption does not apply to agency tickets; instead they can void their own tickets within 24h with no penalty. With a generous agent, you can GG BUYUP an agency ticket at any time, but it must be the same flights.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Generally no to changing the routing. The 24h exemption does not apply to agency tickets; instead they can void their own tickets within 24h with no penalty. With a generous agent, you can GG BUYUP an agency ticket at any time, but it must be the same flights.
Thanks! Although I think they will buy from united.com rather than a travel agent, they just did not want to reimburse me for the flights. To stay on the safe side, I guess I'll just ask them to book my preferred routing (with open R) rather than the non-stop, and buy up to W and apply GPUs then.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by segiddins
Thanks! Although I think they will buy from united.com rather than a travel agent, they just did not want to reimburse me for the flights. To stay on the safe side, I guess I'll just ask them to book my preferred routing (with open R) rather than the non-stop, and buy up to W and apply GPUs then.
If booked on .com then yes, you should be able to also change routing then. Most times travel is booked "for me" though, the booking party uses a corporate TA.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by findark
If booked on .com then yes, you should be able to also change routing then. Most times travel is booked "for me" though, the booking party uses a corporate TA.
My guess is that they want to book it for me because then they can pay in their local currency and not have to reimburse me and have that mess up my visa (but I could be mistaken). This is the first time a conference has insisted on booking for me, and I must say I'm not a fan.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:55 pm

Trying to re-qualify for 1K this year. I've planned out the rest of my trips this year and adding the PQM earnings shown on each reservation puts me at 100,123 (PQD is met). Should I trust this number or should I try to get more miles to be safe?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by mtmonte
Trying to re-qualify for 1K this year. I've planned out the rest of my trips this year and adding the PQM earnings shown on each reservation puts me at 100,123 (PQD is met). Should I trust this number or should I try to get more miles to be safe?
In my experience while the PQM totals displayed prior to purchase are frequently wrong, the totals displayed on purchased reservations are correct.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Originally Posted by mtmonte
In my experience while the PQM totals displayed prior to purchase are frequently wrong, the totals displayed on purchased reservations are correct..
While there are frequently problems with the pre-trip numbers, Incorrect / Ineligible PQD / PQM / RDM information showing on my itinerary, they are generally too low. To the OP, it would probably be best to double check the numbers using the tables here, particularly for any partner flights or any flights marked ineligible.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:59 am

Question on upgrading on Lufthansa using a GPU.

SFO->FRA->DME
DME->FRA->SFO

Question 1 - United states you have to upgrade each segment separately. Does this mean I have to use a separate GPU for SFO->FRA and FRA->DME even though it is the same outbound flight ?

Question 2 - Is there anyway to see if the upgrade will be immediately confirmed or waitlisted before applying the GPU?

FYI the SFO->FRA leg both outbound and inbound are "code share" flights and the ticket starts with 016. I know this can make a difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.