Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2017 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Major differences between 1K and Plat (as of 12/01/2017)
1Ks
  • Earning initially 2 additional RPUs and 6 GPUs (can earn more)
  • Priority for premium cabin meal choices
  • Free drink and food item if in economy on North American flights
  • Higher waitlist priority for upgrades,
  • Waitlisting for Instant Upgrades if on Y/B/M fares (for CPU eligible flights) and clears into PN
  • No close in 60 day change fees for awards
  • Higher earning rate for RDMs (11 vs 9)
Plat
  • Potential credit card waiver of PQD requirement
A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

UA/Star Alliance: 2016-2017 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2016 Consolidated]
is 1k-status really worth all that more than platinum?
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2017 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:38 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
How are you from the PQD threshold? That'd probably be the determining factor for me.
Yup, that's the biggie

And 14K miles is nothing to sneeze at either.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Yup, that's the biggie

And 14K miles is nothing to sneeze at either.
14K is easily managed on a quick European flight - I even think UA has a crazy SEA-AMS deal right now that would tie this up for sub-500.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:00 pm
PPM

I think my perspectives are jaded because I have been 1K for over 15 years and have watched the erosion of benefits. I am also a lifetime platinum, and for me that is good enough. I am sitting on 9 GPUs that I cannot use, despite flexibility of several days. This was never the case even 5 years ago. With a 2-3 day flexible time window you could use them. As a lifetime platinum (2 MM flyer), I can board in Group 1, which is the only remaining perk I appreciate and have free checked bags. I am so sick of the cutbacks on GPUs that I am planning 2018 (and remaining 2017) flights on star alliance carriers with better service that international United. That is the case with this year. I will end with well over 200,000 miles on mostly paid business and first class international flights. But, once I reached 100,000 miles (May), I decided there was no benefit in accruing more UA miles because I cannot use upgrades. I have planned all remaining travel for 2017 and into 2018 on international carriers with better service.

The idea of upgrades is nice, but I have not had an RPU clear in the last 2 years prior to "at the gate" when they could not sell them to the lowest bidder, and GPUs is the same. They sound great, but if you can't use them, they are not really a benefit.
c502cid likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: MP
Is 1K worth it?

Earlier this year I had the privilege of taking a few business class work trips (UA SFO-LHR) for a project I was working on. This resulted in me earning premier status on UA for the first time. Currently at Platinum.

This is somewhat rare for me. I typically take one international trip every couple of years, usually in Economy. I've never attained status on any airline so this is my first experience with it.

Recently took a short trip to Florida... and yes, it was great to automatically get Economy Plus seating. And it was also interesting to see how far down the list I was for an upgrade. I have yet to try to use the four regional upgrades I received from attaining Platinum status. So at this point I don't know if these will prove useful (probably should have tried to use one on that trip to Florida).

I am currently about 15K miles away from 1K status. There is a small chance I could make it with the few remaining trips I have planned before the end of the year. I do plan on going on one international trip next year where it would be nice to upgrade for the long haul flight. I will not have any work related travel.

My chances of retaining 1K or even Platinum after next year are very low. Heck, I'm not sure I'll be able to retain Silver. Is it worth pushing myself to reach 1K for just one international trip for the year?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Based on the anticipated light travel next year, it may not be worth the trouble to reach 1K. Even at 1K, upgrades are highly dependent upon route and seasons.

That said, you can get to more than 15K PQM in one roundtrip for a few hundred dollars - see here: UA: LAX-SIN $384 RT (17520mi, 2.2cpm)
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Depends on what route your international flight is on, and if you have flexibility. Remember you have to purchase higher cost economy fares to qualify for a GPU upgrade (that may never happen). Many times these qualifying fares are hundreds of dollars more than the cheapest economy.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
My brother is Plat. He can't hit the spend for 1k, but he is SFO based.
At SFO, you need to be 1k or bust. Similar to ATL where you need Delta DM.

You need to evaluate your flight patterns and see if it is worth pursuing. Some UA routes are heavy on status flyers (SFO-EWR or SFO-ORD for example). Other routes might be lighter.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Based on the anticipated light travel next year, it may not be worth the trouble to reach 1K. Even at 1K, upgrades are highly dependent upon route and seasons.

That said, you can get to more than 15K PQM in one roundtrip for a few hundred dollars - see here:
I looked at that. The dates I'm available don't seem to coincide with this pricing. Best I could do from SFO was $862. But thanks for the tip.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lalato
I am currently about 15K miles away from 1K status. There is a small chance I could make it with the few remaining trips I have planned before the end of the year. I do plan on going on one international trip next year where it would be nice to upgrade for the long haul flight. I will not have any work related travel.

My chances of retaining 1K or even Platinum after next year are very low. Heck, I'm not sure I'll be able to retain Silver. Is it worth pushing myself to reach 1K for just one international trip for the year?
Welcome, lalato!

Are just 15K PQM away from 1K or also short on PQDs?

If you are doing domestic flights in 2018 as well as your international trip, 1K may be worth it. In terms upgrading your international trip, if you qualify for 1K this year, you would still need to purchase an economy seat in W fare class or higher in order to apply your GPUs and would need the correct upgrade fare class open (> 0) in order to upgrade.

As a 1K domestically, if you are flying shorter hops on routes that are non-regional aircraft, your chances of being upgraded increase considerably over Platinum. Also, you'd get the free food/box + drink as a 1K when sitting in Economy. If your flying puts you on regional jets, you'd want to be on the CRJ700s and E7Ws (170s/175s) for upgrade opportunities.

David
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by 1k650
Depends on what route your international flight is on, and if you have flexibility. Remember you have to purchase higher cost economy fares to qualify for a GPU upgrade (that may never happen). Many times these qualifying fares are hundreds of dollars more than the cheapest economy.
The current mood of the family is that we'll be flying to Europe (likely Rome) for vacation in late spring/early summer. Not sure what those routes are like.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I looked at that. The dates I'm available don't seem to coincide with this pricing. Best I could do from SFO was $862. But thanks for the tip.
If you need this 15K mileage run, post to the UA/Star Alliance: 2016-2017 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed thread and identify how much you are willing to spend as well as when you can or can't fly.

David
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
My brother is Plat. He can't hit the spend for 1k, but he is SFO based.
At SFO, you need to be 1k or bust. Similar to ATL where you need Delta DM.

You need to evaluate your flight patterns and see if it is worth pursuing. Some UA routes are heavy on status flyers (SFO-EWR or SFO-ORD for example). Other routes might be lighter.
Typically my domestic travel is to Florida a couple of times per year. And then random trips for conferences and weekend getaways which can be anywhere (maybe 10 trips total per year). I don't have a regular route. That's what makes this year's status attainment a rare occurrence for me.

But it's good to know that there are good and bad routes with regard to upgrades. I had no idea.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Welcome, lalato!

Are just 15K PQM away from 1K or also short on PQDs?

If you are doing domestic flights in 2018 as well as your international trip, 1K may be worth it. In terms upgrading your international trip, if you qualify for 1K this year, you would still need to purchase an economy seat in W fare class or higher in order to apply your GPUs and would need the correct upgrade fare class open (> 0) in order to upgrade.

As a 1K domestically, if you are flying shorter hops on routes that are non-regional aircraft, your chances of being upgraded increase considerably over Platinum. Also, you'd get the free food/box + drink as a 1K when sitting in Economy. If your flying puts you on regional jets, you'd want to be on the CRJ700s and E7Ws (170s/175s) for upgrade opportunities.

David
Thanks for the details. I didn't know about that specific fare class. It almost feels like there needs to be a college course on this stuff.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

It almost feels like there needs to be a college course on this stuff.
Almost

Welcome to FlyerTalk University
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Typically my domestic travel is to Florida a couple of times per year. And then random trips for conferences and weekend getaways which can be anywhere (maybe 10 trips total per year). I don't have a regular route. That's what makes this year's status attainment a rare occurrence for me.

But it's good to know that there are good and bad routes with regard to upgrades. I had no idea.
Also as a Plat member, he has tried to use regional upgrade coupons on SFO-EWR. Never cleared as there are too many people on this route too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.