UA Audio IFE / Relaxation Channel

Old Jan 4, 17, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
UA Audio IFE / Relaxation Channel

one of the random things I came across on a past trip just completed was the audio Relaxation mix channel. for audio in flight, i've typically used my own in-ear headphones (Westone W30) with my device for audio, or just as ear plugs after unplugging. those in-ears use solid foam tips that are quite effective in blocking out sound. anyway, one of my goals on long-haul flts is to sleep. this time, I used the UA headsets in Polaris and tried out the Relaxation channel. I think it actually helped me sleep, got 7+ hours (though interrupted) both ways TPAC. the soundtrack helped me drift off from my always going brain which was amazing. using the cup headset was a nice contrast experience, they blocked out enough sound and were okay to use when laying down. my ears start feeling a bit uncomfortable after multiple hours using the in-ears... so overall, better outcome than expected.

i don't think i've ever seen any comment on the channel on the board before so i figured i'd throw this one up.
Old Jan 4, 17, 11:07 am

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
I always listen to the Relaxation channel when I fly and I want to sleep. It helps a lot when you're in Economy! Also, got so used to sleeping with the sea waves, that now that I'm at a beach house with terrible bedding, I just listen to the waves crash and fall asleep.
Old Jan 4, 17, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I use music on my phone, it's too hard to keep headphones plugged in to the seat with the goofy jack location (and loose sockets) on the LFBF seats they're now calling Polaris. And phone avoids the obnoxiously long PA announcements mid-sleep.
Old Jan 4, 17, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I use music on my phone, it's too hard to keep headphones plugged in to the seat with the goofy jack location (and loose sockets) on the LFBF seats they're now calling Polaris. And phone avoids the obnoxiously long PA announcements mid-sleep.
i agree on using own headphones plugged into the UA jacks, and ignoring the PA announcements.. what i did sincerely like was the relaxation selection.. i was a DJ in a former life (still have about 5K records in possession) and appreciate functional selection for the channel, i.e. music for relaxing & sleeping. maybe what i need to do next is research my own playlists for the personal device. it's probably another time sink, it may be worth it in the long haul and learn about that music niche too.

i appreciate the waves more and more!
Old Jan 4, 17, 2:29 pm

I am going to try listening to this channel on Friday when I fly IAH-NRT!
Old Jan 4, 17, 2:40 pm

The sound of the jet engines relaxes me and can easily put me to sleep.

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Polaris isn't the seat.
Old Jan 4, 17, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Meola10 View Post
Polaris isn't the seat.
You should let UA know that. Says Polaris everywhere, same old seat.
Old Jan 5, 17, 7:34 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
What kind of music is on this channel?
Old Jan 6, 17, 3:37 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Nothing's more relaxing than the good ol' Channel 9 live ATC
Old Jan 6, 17, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by triplefives View Post
Nothing's more relaxing than the good ol' Channel 9 live ATC
^^ Indeed.
Old Jan 7, 17, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
What kind of music is on this channel?
really minimal stuff, i.e. waves, rainfall, intermittent bird calls and IIRC some nighttime crickets and sparse guitars sprinkled in. very monotonous but that's the point. there are actually "song" changes and segues, but it's like 2 hours of this stuff looped.

no channel 9 voices, though for me there's a time for that too..

i just received a "lectrofan" white noise machine to aid sleep at home and so far that's awesome too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: