Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gregcw
They offered 20k miles as compensation which I have not yet taken. One of the reasons is that is what o was offered for a canceled flight over the summer in which I wasn’t downgraded on the new flight.

Is is there no consideration for the details or is a canceled flight treated the same no matter booked/replacement class.
Under UA's CoC, you are due a refund of the fare differential from F to Y. The 20K miles is a customer service gesture, separate from the compensation for the downgrade.

I would suggest writing to UA and requesting a refund of your fare differential.

Note that a voluntary reroute does not count as a "downgrade." It may not have felt voluntary, but the theory is you could have waited until they had a flight with seats available in F, rather than taking the next available seat in Y.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 14, 2017 at 7:52 am Reason: misread
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
Note that you are also due compensation under EU 261 for the 8 hour delay. That's 600 euro cash.

I would suggest writing to UA and requesting (1) a refund of your fare differential, and (2) your 600 euro under EU 261.
While I don't think OP is eligible for EC 261/2004 as it wass ex-SFO and on UA, I will still push this amount as goodwill gesture.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
$200 travel certificate for catering error on DFW-IAD op by Mesa E175. Was supposed to be dinner but was served cheese tray and other packaged cr@p.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Under UA's CoC, you are due a refund of the fare differential from F to Y. The 20K miles is a customer service gesture, separate from the compensation for the downgrade.

Note that you are also due compensation under EU 261 for the 8 hour delay. That's 600 euro cash.

I would suggest writing to UA and requesting (1) a refund of your fare differential, and (2) your 600 euro under EU 261.

Note that a voluntary reroute does not count as a "downgrade." It may not have felt voluntary, but the theory is you could have waited until they had a flight with seats available in F, rather than taking the next available seat in Y.
EC261 is not applicable here as OP was on a non-community carrier originating outside the EU.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by garykung
While I don't think OP is eligible for EC 261/2004 as it wass ex-SFO and on UA, I will still push this amount as goodwill gesture.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
EC261 is not applicable here as OP was on a non-community carrier originating outside the EU.
Misread as LHR-SFO. You're correct.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by gregcw
We we were all rebooked through IAD in economy middle seats arriving about 8 hours after our scheduled time. The segment would have gotten me to 1k and another coworker to plat.

from what I’ve read, that does not matter.
Can't you request ORC?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:55 pm
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Flew on a Polaris revenue ticket LAX-LHR. My status is UA Platinum.
After take off suddenly the FA brings me my whole plate of food saying I ordered "express" which i did not. When I told her I didnt order express, she told me to take it anyway otherwise they would have to re-heat later ( I later realized that would have been a serious health issue). She puts it down and walks off. I see it is my second choice of meal, and not my first. Since I am by far the first one to get food its seems impossible that they are out of first choice, especially because I was in row 1 and took my order first.

At breakfast they just put down an omelette. When I ask why I was not given the choice in breakfast, he said there was nothing else left. ( how is this possible, again im row 1 and my neighbour gets the fresh fruit plate).
I filed a complaint. Anybody an idea what is fair compensation? What could they offer in miles or voucher? Thanks for your thoughts
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hollandair
Flew on a Polaris revenue ticket LAX-LHR. My status is UA Platinum..... I see it is my second choice of meal, and not my first. Since I am by far the first one to get food its seems impossible that they are out of first choice, especially because I was in row 1 and took my order first. ...
Your seat or if your order was taken first does not matter. GS and 1Ks regardless of where they are in the cabin get first priority.
Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

The express meal nonsense is a different issue.

At breakfast they just put down an omelette. When I ask why I was not given the choice in breakfast, he said there was nothing else left. ( how is this possible, again im row 1 and my neighbour gets the fresh fruit plate).
I filed a complaint. Anybody an idea what is fair compensation? What could they offer in miles or voucher? Thanks for your thoughts
Again, if this was a GS/1K heavy flight, as a Plat on a paid fare, you are not guaranteed your first choice. Any compensation will be token, if any at all.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:09 pm
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Your seat or if your order was taken first does not matter. GS and 1Ks regardless of where they are in the cabin get first priority.
Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins
Thanks for clearing that up, but still strange they dont say anything or apologize or something.

The express meal nonsense is a different issue.
I think this part specifically and threaten me by re-heating is unacceptable.

Again, if this was a GS/1K heavy flight, as a Plat on a paid fare, you are not guaranteed your first choice. Any compensation will be token, if any at all.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 14, 2017 at 2:28 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Thanks for clearing that up, but still strange they dont say anything or apologize or something.
Why should UA apologize when a particular choice of food run out? This happens in Y as well, not just in J.

It is a different story if your meal is a special order.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: United 1K, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
LEX-ORD flight tonight. Cabin pressure loss at cruising altitude. Oxygen masks deployed. Pilots quickly descended to under 10K feet. Emergency landing at IND.

Less than an hour later, I got an email mentioning there is an offer waiting. 12500 points or $250 e-cert. Took the e-cert.

Definitely one of my most unusual flights though. The entire thing was eerie and unnerving. Minimal updates from the cockpit except for a "malfunction" notification (of course I understand they were busy actually landing the aircraft ). Closed my laptop and put it away with one hand while holding the oxygen mask with the other. As soon as we landed there were snacks offered to everyone at the gate. Another flight out of IND was delayed in order to accommodate stranded passengers. Yes not everyone was able to hop into this flight, but the way gate agents handled it was commendable.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LordDenton
LEX-ORD flight tonight. Cabin pressure loss at cruising altitude. Oxygen masks deployed. Pilots quickly descended to under 10K feet. Emergency landing at IND.

Less than an hour later, I got an email mentioning there is an offer waiting. 12500 points or $250 e-cert. Took the e-cert.

Definitely one of my most unusual flights though. The entire thing was eerie and unnerving. Minimal updates from the cockpit except for a "malfunction" notification (of course I understand they were busy actually landing the aircraft ). Closed my laptop and put it away with one hand while holding the oxygen mask with the other. As soon as we landed there were snacks offered to everyone at the gate. Another flight out of IND was delayed in order to accommodate stranded passengers. Yes not everyone was able to hop into this flight, but the way gate agents handled it was commendable.
wow, sounds like UA handled this very well. I am (positively) surprised.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA, AA
Christmas Eve Delay

I flew UA 344 from HNL to IAD yesterday. I’m platinum, was flying on a paid Z fare, and overall route was HNL-IAD-XXX. The inbound to Honolulu suffered a mechanical issue while still at Dulles and arrived over 6 hours late. This meant we departed about 5 hours late, forcing me to rebook my flight to XXX. If the rest of the trip goes as scheduled, I should arrive at my final destination about 8 hours late.

Upon arriving in Dulles, I had a customer care e-mail waiting and the offer was $175 e-cert or 8750 miles. I was honestly hoping for a little more – but I’m not sure what’s reasonable. I’ve missed Christmas Eve dinner with the family – but I’m not sure United cares about that.

Separately, the HNL-IAD 767 was switched at the last minute to one of the new Polaris retrofits. My first time flying the hard product and it was great. Cabin crew was also amazing and food was on point (except for some weird sautéed kale thing they served with the short rib). In all it was a great flight – over than the cascading effects it had on my holiday plans.

Appreciate any thoughts folks have. Happy holidays!!
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Typically the automatic comp offers are standardised, with differences existing only for fare class and status without regard for full itineraries. Sometimes that leads to overcompensation (a 5-hour delay that shortens a 6-hour cnx to 1h, for example, is probably 'less bad' than a 5-hour destination delay); in your case, it seems a 5-hour delay on HNL-IAD led to an overall 8-hour delay on HNL-XXX, and hence the O/D-based comp offer is undercompensation. I'd reach out to UA with a short note saying you thought the compensation was low given the magnitude of the delay, and I'd be surprised if they don't give you something.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TarHeelAlum
Appreciate any thoughts folks have. Happy holidays!!
You got $175 and a new Polaris seat. What else would you like?(Besides getting there on time)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.