Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by metoo
He said he never received a call from UA nor received an email on this.
United doesn't do that.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
This is for February 14th. I only noticed it was cancelled because I checked the itinerary. My boyfriend used his miles to pay for it. He said he never received a call from UA nor received an email on this.
There is business saver space available right now for SN467 (Brussels Airlines) on Feb 14 (overnight) connecting to UA951 to IAD on Feb 15. Not sure of your final US destination but you should spoonfeed these flights to the agent and have her or him add on a flight to your USA final destination for free (request business for that too). Be firm, but polite, and it shouldn't be a problem.

In the alternative cancel for a full refund and rebook these flights (the price is 80K miles so may have gone up from when you booked before due to changes to award chart)

Find a cheap flight to Entebbe as suggested above (departure is not till 11:55pm on Feb 14 so you have all day to get there).

Update us on what happens.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:50 pm

It wouldn't work for flying to EBB than purchasing a flight on Rwanda Air from KGL to EBB. Connection won't work.
I decided to just cancel the award, 80k and taxes and fees back in boyfriend account.
Then I booked a biz award ticket for DAR to ZRH to LAX for February 21st.
Now I have to search for hotels and things to do in DAR and Zanzibar. I have 6 to 7 days b4 flying back.
I rather not extend my trip but I can't sit on economy cause I don't like it (lol) plus I have back problems.

I don't like flying Biz class on UA. I prefer Swiss Airlines biz, which is what I booked.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Forgot to post, but on October 19th I was on UA DEN to IAH. I was #1 on the UG list, and before closing the GA came on and said I was UG'd to 2E. Nice, a few minutes later he came back on to tell me he was sorry but the original 2E pax was here and I would have to go back to my original seat. He did seem truly apologetic. I complied, He came back a few minutes later with a $200 cert to compensate me for the confusion.

Fast forward to 9 November, Coming back from ICN where my GPU from NRT to LAX cleared, but not LAX to IAH. Again #1 on the UG waitlist. Just before closing the doors the GA came on and moved me to 2E. I asked if he was sure. He gave me a funny look.
mpiotrow likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It wouldn't work for flying to EBB than purchasing a flight on Rwanda Air from KGL to EBB. Connection won't work.
I decided to just cancel the award, 80k and taxes and fees back in boyfriend account.
Then I booked a biz award ticket for DAR to ZRH to LAX for February 21st.
Now I have to search for hotels and things to do in DAR and Zanzibar. I have 6 to 7 days b4 flying back.
I rather not extend my trip but I can't sit on economy cause I don't like it (lol) plus I have back problems.

I don't like flying Biz class on UA. I prefer Swiss Airlines biz, which is what I booked.
As I stated there is BizSaver (80K miles) from EBB>BRU>IAD (maybe LAX too, but you could connect IAD>LAX and waitlist for F on that flight) on Feb 14. There are multiple flights on RwandAir for $189 o/w (8:50am, 6:40pm) that get you in with more than enough time to make the 11:50pm departure to BRU.

But enjoy a week in DAR.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by spearsba
Forgot to post, but on October 19th I was on UA DEN to IAH. I was #1 on the UG list, and before closing the GA came on and said I was UG'd to 2E. Nice, a few minutes later he came back on to tell me he was sorry but the original 2E pax was here and I would have to go back to my original seat. He did seem truly apologetic. I complied, He came back a few minutes later with a $200 cert to compensate me for the confusion.
This is the downgrade compensation per UA's policy, not a goodwill gesture.
spearsba likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by garykung
This is the downgrade compensation per UA's policy, not a goodwill gesture.
Well actually it is goodwill comp, since there is no legal or contractual obligation on UA's part to provide anything beyond a refund of fare differential.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well actually it is goodwill comp, since there is no legal or contractual obligation on UA's part to provide anything beyond a refund of fare differential.
Although what you have said is correct in term of legal or contractual obligation, I stand correct that downgrade compensation is not a form of goodwill.

If it is goodwill, that means UA is in its own discretion to provide one or not.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by BiWeeklyAccelerator
SFO-EWR UA1070 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance. Got a pro-active "customer service" email offering 15,000 miles or $300 e-certificate for my troubles.
That's really good. I had a SIN-SFO flight that was canceled due to a brake controller problem and they put us on another flight the next day that left 28 hours after the original.

We were put up in hotels (pretty nice one) and our meals were covered up to a certain Singapore $ amount.

http://united.com/appreciation gave me the choice of 5K miles or a $100 e-certificate. I took the miles due to the 1 year expiration on the cert.

I only paid taxes and fees for my flights as I used miles for all of them (SJC to NRT, HND to GMP, ICN to SIN, SIN to SFO). SIN to SFO was the only UA flight. The rest were on Star Alliance partners (NH, OZ and CA).
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by GretelNick
TATL flight to East Coast. Upgraded V fare. 4-hour delay due to mechanical reasons, (cost us the upgrade waitlist for the short connecting flight). FA announced the appreciation site. It's offering $175 or the miles equivalent. Is this reasonable?
Sounds far better than the choices I got for a 28 hour delay for SIN to SFO: $100 e-certificate or 5K miles. I took the miles.

Was also a problem w/the plane.

My MileagePlus status with UA is merely "member", not even Premier Silver.

Last edited by cwerdna; Nov 20, 2017 at 3:06 am
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
WiFi wasn’t working on our TATL flight on Saturday. My wife and I both wrote a nice note to PremierVoice commenting on how great the cabin crew were in general and mentioning that the WiFi was down.

I (MP Gold) received an email apologizing for the lack of WiFi and offering a $175 e-cert. My wife (MP Silver) got 5000 miles.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Purchased FC on AUS-IAD (E175 op by Mesa) but my seat was broken and FC was booked full. Agents offered compensation for FC pax to move back or change routings but no takers. They initially offered $500 travel vouchers. They still had one seat open in Y and it was 21A - window seat in E- on the E175. Agent proactively blocked space for me in the overhead. Just before departure and nothing changed so agent says - what if I up the offer to $1,000? So...I sat in 21A for 2.5 hours (really wasn't bad at all) and got a $1,000 travel voucher, 10,000 miles and $159 refund for fare difference. Not a bad day after all!
thejaredhuang likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Purchased FC on AUS-IAD (E175 op by Mesa) but my seat was broken and FC was booked full. Agents offered compensation for FC pax to move back or change routings but no takers. They initially offered $500 travel vouchers. They still had one seat open in Y and it was 21A - window seat in E- on the E175. Agent proactively blocked space for me in the overhead. Just before departure and nothing changed so agent says - what if I up the offer to $1,000? So...I sat in 21A for 2.5 hours (really wasn't bad at all) and got a $1,000 travel voucher, 10,000 miles and $159 refund for fare difference. Not a bad day after all!
Great result!!!!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
So what's the going rate for losing a day of your life, tempered by it being in Maui? I only ask because we're booked on this flight, similar pmCO old bird, in a couple of weeks.

Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: UAL GS. AA 2MM
Compensation for non-reclining seat

Advise would be greatly appreciated. I took the redeye from EZE last night and my seat did not recline at all in Polaris Business. I paid 10K plus for the round trip ticket. United offered me $500 or 25K miles. This seems insufficient. I called 1K and they told me to email. Any advice on what I should ask for in the email?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.