Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Any reimbursement for the cancelled segment would be based on the prorated fare, but the amount for the SMF-SFO segment would probably be miminal.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, US Air, Alaska
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I have had both happen to me before.

For bad IFE, I got a $200- TC.
For a non-functioning seat, I got a $800- TC.

You deserve more, don't accept what they have offered.
Also, on my flight from SFO to Frankfurt (enroute to BCN), the inflight wifi did not work, so we were unable to watch movies on our 747. Who do I write to to get compensation. A very uncomfortable, long flight with no entertainment!
Old May 14, 2017, 5:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by [email protected]
.... Who do I write to to get compensation. ....
From this thread's wiki
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few cases like IDB and some others, UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but in some cases may provide a goodwill gesture.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Also, on my flight from SFO to Frankfurt (enroute to BCN), the inflight wifi did not work, so we were unable to watch movies on our 747. Who do I write to to get compensation. A very uncomfortable, long flight with no entertainment!
In both of my seat-failure cases, when I complained, a FA gave me one of these:

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...=CRD&type=.jpg

It has instructions to go to their website and apply for the credit.

In other instances, I have written to 1KVoice. They have always given me something for a legitimate problem, and usually make me happy with their offer.

Good Luck!
Old May 14, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by eng3
I think $300 is some sort of upper "limit". It does not seem hard to get something up to $200 or even $250 for some of the smallest things (ie. no power, etc). I've even gotten $200 then another $200 after requesting a follow up. But even for really long delays (due to the airline) or other much bigger inconveniences, I seem to very rarely get more than $300 or $350. There have been a couple times where I've complained that I dont think it is enough and sometimes they'll agree to give me another cert. I think if there is something massive or something that gets in the news, then I'll hear about $500 ecerts. When they offer me miles, I'll usually request at ETC instead.

So I would not attempt to apply logic to the amounts you are given. Sometimes I think that they just skim the message to get an idea of how major it is and then randomly pick an amount that they think will make you happy.
I totally agree here... Had a UAX flight with a list of issues...so I wrote in and got an ecert for 250. Was happy.. 3wks later had a bigger nightmare, delay getting an agent to the jet bridge turned into a mis connect, and subsequent headache trying to get home. Ended up being lots of aggravation and about 8hr delay in SFO. Wrote in with all the details, and was responded to by the same lady that was more then generous 3wks prior. This time she gave 150...I wrote back and said felt it was too low considering......so she then gave an additional 250...fair deal to me, but on a reply email I asked if I could submit names of helpful SFO folks to her or if I needed to submit a compliment form...she never responded...so I too am pretty sure they just skim and don't really read nor care about your problem..
Old May 15, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Here's a couple compensation questions.. How long do or have you waited to make a complaint? I make notes on my phone, and if I do write in I have the info, but somtimes it's a couple weeks post flight. Also, do you think they log complaints? I'm honestly not one to complain much...twice this year and maybe once last. However, I am one that feels if you are buying a product or service, and it's not as advertised then there should be some reasonable compensation...right?? You buy an F seat only to have inop IFE or a mis cater etc.. I just don't want to end up flagged as an over entitled plat and end up with nothing when something that is worth complaining pops up...

Last edited by asphaltman; May 15, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Old May 15, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by asphaltman
I totally agree here... Had a UAX flight with a list of issues...so I wrote in and got an ecert for 250. Was happy.. 3wks later had a bigger nightmare, delay getting an agent to the jet bridge turned into a mis connect, and subsequent headache trying to get home. Ended up being lots of aggravation and about 8hr delay in SFO. Wrote in with all the details, and was responded to by the same lady that was more then generous 3wks prior. This time she gave 150...I wrote back and said felt it was too low considering......so she then gave an additional 250...fair deal to me, but on a reply email I asked if I could submit names of helpful SFO folks to her or if I needed to submit a compliment form...she never responded...so I too am pretty sure they just skim and don't really read nor care about your problem..
Just after writing that post, I complained about a power outlet not working in J and multiple disappointments with the food. I got a 20k RDM. Complained I didnt want RDM and they gave me a $500 cert. I wasn't expecting even 300. Then on a recent TCON they sat a "service" animal next to me which was annoying and blocked my egress and they sent 300. I expected a more real reply since I had a safety complaint. Both times, I got at most one sentence directly related to my complaint, no real answers. Not sure why they gave so much, maybe due to the Dao nonsense. But I think their general procedure is still the same. Skim email and select dollar amount they think will shut you up. Depending on the issue, that works for me.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
SFO-HKG UA869 Full Polaris hard-product flight.

Asked FA for pajamas after take-off and was told they didn't load any for the whole flight.

Never mentioned it again and after desert FA proactively handed a Skykit card to myself and mrs_msg.

Went to the website and filled it out for myself and mrs_msg (also 1K).

Mentioned the pajamas, the lack of ice cream sundaes, and the fact that none of the wines on the printed menu matched what was loaded on the flight.

$200 for me
$350 for her

Identical status and comments submitted.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
ICN-SFO UA892 10 hour delay...orig sched dep 4:45pm, actual dep 3:00am.

Did change to the following day's reg sched 4:45p dep but incurred costs and an extra hotel night.

Email to 1K Voice and $300 cert offered.

Seems a bit low for a 10 hour delay no?
Old May 17, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by msg75
SFO-HKG UA869 Full Polaris hard-product flight.

Asked FA for pajamas after take-off and was told they didn't load any for the whole flight.

Never mentioned it again and after desert FA proactively handed a Skykit card to myself and mrs_msg.

Went to the website and filled it out for myself and mrs_msg (also 1K).

Mentioned the pajamas, the lack of ice cream sundaes, and the fact that none of the wines on the printed menu matched what was loaded on the flight.

$200 for me
$350 for her

Identical status and comments submitted.
Just curious, which box did you tick off when using the appreciation site. I have noticed that the drop down options once you pick a item have changed this year from last. Did you fill out the forms the exact way? Seems odd that you both didn't get the same compensation. But $550 combined for no pajama is fairly generous compared to other offers of late, don't you think? Safe Travels
Old May 17, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Just curious, which box did you tick off when using the appreciation site. I have noticed that the drop down options once you pick a item have changed this year from last. Did you fill out the forms the exact way? Seems odd that you both didn't get the same compensation. But $550 combined for no pajama is fairly generous compared to other offers of late, don't you think? Safe Travels
Don't recall what exactly I chose on the options, and yes, I agree it is quite generous and I never would have reached out for compensation if the FA hadn't handed out the cards.

And I do know it's discretionary within certain parameters but the vast difference in our comp is curious, as well as the fact that they just came back with a $300 offer for a 10 hour delayed flight...much bigger deal than lack of pajamas.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by asphaltman
Also, do you think they log complaints?
Yes, they absolutely do.

Frequent complainers may get banned from the program. Once or twice a year would not be a problem (unless those are your only two flights ).
Old May 17, 2017, 10:57 am

Yes they log complaints. I once got a response "sorry to hear that you experience the ___ problem again."
Old May 17, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by B747SP
Yes they log complaints. I once got a response "sorry to hear that you experience the ___ problem again."
But do they cross-tabulate our complaints with our FlyerTalk postings?
Old May 17, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
But do they cross-tabulate our complaints with our FlyerTalk postings?
Only when the black helicopters are down for maintenance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.