Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, United Gold
Was on UA1582 yesterday (Dec 24) from TPA to EWR. Original aircraft was put out of service due to maintenance issues after multiple delays and we flew to EWR in a replacement aircraft, arriving 6 hours and 35 minutes late.

We were all in first class - 2 RPUs used to upgrade parents + myself as a 1K who was CPU'd. Given the delay, nearly everyone else had already switched flights while we had stuck around since I wanted to take my parents at least once in their lives in first class - the 737 ended up flying with just 9 passengers and 5/6 crew!. Supposedly the lowest number of passengers they have ever flown a 737 for - EWR gate agents were in disbelief when we deplaned. They ended up seating everyone in first class anyway given the number of passengers, so the treatment wasn't the special experience I had hoped for my parents and a waste of RPUs given that everyone sat there anyway and all boarded at once.

The appreciation website automatically provided me $125 e-cert as a 1k and parents $75 e-cert each with no status. I found that a bit low for being in first class for over a 6 hour delay on Christmas eve, but would appreciate any thoughts on whether to pursue further, especially given the RPU experience (but all booked in economy). The pilot told our family it was a miracle we were flying to begin with given the number of passengers left, otherwise we'd have missed Christmas day entirely, so glad it didn't come to that at least.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobotsRock
Was on UA1582 yesterday (Dec 24) from TPA to EWR. Original aircraft was put out of service due to maintenance issues after multiple delays and we flew to EWR in a replacement aircraft, arriving 6 hours and 35 minutes late.

We were all in first class - 2 RPUs used to upgrade parents + myself as a 1K who was CPU'd. Given the delay, nearly everyone else had already switched flights while we had stuck around since I wanted to take my parents at least once in their lives in first class - the 737 ended up flying with just 9 passengers and 5/6 crew!. Supposedly the lowest number of passengers they have ever flown a 737 for - EWR gate agents were in disbelief when we deplaned. They ended up seating everyone in first class anyway given the number of passengers, so the treatment wasn't the special experience I had hoped for my parents and a waste of RPUs given that everyone sat there anyway and all boarded at once.

The appreciation website automatically provided me $125 e-cert as a 1k and parents $75 e-cert each with no status. I found that a bit low for being in first class for over a 6 hour delay on Christmas eve, but would appreciate any thoughts on whether to pursue further, especially given the RPU experience (but all booked in economy). The pilot told our family it was a miracle we were flying to begin with given the number of passengers left, otherwise we'd have missed Christmas day entirely, so glad it didn't come to that at least.
Seems tough to request additional compensation here. By your own admission, you could have flown out earlier but chose not to, and then UA flew a 737 with 9 people onboard. The fact a few other pax got op-ups to F to simplify matters for the crew (or to allow the plane to fly with fewer crew) shouldn't really affect anything here. It's not like F is worse if there aren't people in the back.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sfo789
Typically the automatic comp offers are standardised, with differences existing only for fare class and status without regard for full itineraries.
I am not sure fare classes play any difference.

Originally Posted by sfo789
I'd reach out to UA with a short note saying you thought the compensation was low given the magnitude of the delay, and I'd be surprised if they don't give you something.
I will actually surprise if UA will increase the offer, at least significantly.

While in some cases, UA may, in its discretions, to increase the offer, usually that kind of offer is take it or leave it.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

We were all in first class - 2 RPUs used to upgrade parents + myself as a 1K who was CPU'd. Given the delay, nearly everyone else had already switched
flights while we had stuck around since I wanted to take my parents at least once in their lives in first class - the 737 ended up flying with just 9 passengers and 5/6 crew!. Supposedly the lowest number of passengers they have ever flown a 737 for - EWR gate agents were in disbelief when we deplaned. They ended up seating everyone in first class anyway given the number of passengers, so the treatment wasn't the special experience I had hoped for my parents and a waste of RPUs given that everyone sat there anyway and all boarded at once.

Well at least your parents got their experience in first class. When delays like that start to roll sometimes it's better to leave the airport on the first available flight. I know you wanted to give your parents a fantastic experience which they had and enjoyed with you in first class. I'm not sure how UAwould handle this but doesn't hurt to voice your opinion and see if they'll sweeten the offer. However, I wouldn't expect much… Happy holidays and safe travels
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, United Gold
Thanks all for your input. To be clear the next flight alternative was an hour earlier than the updated delayed departure time for our flight, so the gate agent advised it probably wasn't worth giving up first class for that hour. Only afterwards was it pushed back another 2 hours. Still amazing to have flown in a 737 with only 6 other passengers on a commercial flight!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Only afterwards was it pushed back another 2 hours. Still amazing to have flown in a 737 with only 6 other passengers on a commercial flight!
They needed the plane at the next airport or another set of passenger would be delayed and a set of crew will be out of place. There is a set of cascding issue from a canceled flight.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
They needed the plane at the next airport or another set of passenger would be delayed and a set of crew will be out of place. There is a set of cascding issue from a canceled flight.
Well, they can deadhead the crew on another flight, but harder to deadhead the airplane :-p
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by garykung
I am not sure fare classes play any difference.
It does not. And upgrades are treated the same as paid F/J for purposes of standard comp offers.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:37 pm

Dec 26/27 - United Express (Skywest) 5293 - CLT to DEN - 4pm departure
Seat 1A - I used 15,000 miles to upgrade to First Class on this flight. I was to continue on a connecting United Express flight to Aspen that evening.
Due to low visibility in Denver, we sat on the ground in Charlotte for 1.5 hrs. to be released to fly to Denver. It was decided we would divert to Colorado Springs and assess weather from there. We were in an Embraer 175 and wouldn't have had fuel to circle if visibility was at 1/2 mi. as predicted according to pilot. So we took off for COS.

The gentleman seated behind me was using a piece of electronic oxygen equipment for breathing assistance. About an hour and half into the flight - the battery on his device ran dead and would not charge (we had AC plugs). At that point he had to switch to using the plane's onboard oxygen - which only lasts for 1 hr and so we were forced to divert again to Nashville.

The plan was to offload the gentleman, refill the oxygen, refuel, and continue on our way. While all of this was going on the lavs became full and would no longer flush. We were not being allowed off the plane in Nashville because the airport was closing for the evening. Things got a little heated in economy for a bit over this I believe, but it was resolved in 10 minutes or so . They did put out snacks in the jetway and allowed everyone to go help themselves. Our flight attendants and pilots were amazing throughout the whole ordeal - as I there was a lot of activity going on over the course of about an hour.

While we were on the ground we learned that we would be allowed to fly directly to Denver, unfortunately, shortly thereafter the pilot timed out. So after about an hour of ground time, we were all told to deboard the aircraft and proceed to the gate agent to be given a hotel voucher + $40 in meal vouchers for the evening. They must have sent half the plane to the Hotel Preston to be accommodated. This is where the first class upgrade became priceless in dealing with this situation.

The Hotel Preston only had a 7 passenger shuttle and United never asked them to send the shuttle. I was among the first seven at the shuttle pickup. We were waiting on the shuttle for about 10 min - so I finally called and they said United had never called for the shuttle. They came to pick us up and we arrived to a desk staffed only by one staff member - clearly wearing a trainee nametag. It was 9 pm at this point. It took almost 20-25 min. for the 4 people in front of me to be checked in because the phone was ringing off the hook at the same time - he was completely overwhelmed and the line had built 30-40 people deep behind me. I finally got checked in, opened the door and went to my room to find other folks' bags in the room I'd just been assigned. Had to go down and get another room - finally got settled in at about 10.

I had supposedly been rebooked on the same plane with the same crew the next morning - there had been some back and forth on whether the flight would be delayed until 7:15 the next morning or cancelled and a replacement flight rescheduled at 7:15. Either way it was going with the same crew. I originally saw my reservation update in the United app, however that eventually disappeared. I was asking other passengers while I waited in line whether the same had occurred for them, but it had not. So I figured I'd call United while I waited to check in to the hotel. The agent said she had fixed something and that I was still booked in seat 1A going out the next morning at 7:45. Everyone else said they thought the flight was at 7:15.

The next morning I decided to split the difference and arrive at the airport at 6:15 I went to the priority lane to check my bag and was informed that I had in fact not been rebooked on the new flight. I also had lost my upgrade and was forced to pay another 7,500 miles if I wanted to fly in First Class that day. The agent was nice about it, but there was just no time to deal with it any other way - she recommended I call in to have it refunded later (turned out the flight was actually scheduled for 7:15, but we didn't start boarding until 7:45 - annoying). At this point I had already backed up the First Class line for 15 min while she fixed their earlier screw-up.

The flight finally successfully departed for Denver at about 8 am. I was supposed to have a 5 hr. layover, since the Nashville gate agent couldn't confirm me any earlier the night before. I tried to register for the standby list - but the app wouldn't allow me. The standby list for the Aspen flight was about 9 people long once I got to Denver, but had a couple of open seats. I went to the kiosk to try and register for the standby list for the next flight out about an hour later and it immediately assigned me a seat. I didn't understand that, but was happy none the less. I then waited through another 1.5 hr. delay related to the Aspen/Vail airspace recovering from air traffic backups caused by a Vice Presidential visit during Christmas Week. I then finally completed my journey arriving in Aspen exactly 24 hours after I was supposed to depart Charlotte.

I got the customer appreciation email with an offer for $200 e-cert or 10,000 miles. They also preemptively refunded both upgrades - the 15,000 initial one and the second 7,500 one. I appreciated not having to fight to get the miles back - although they never notified me of that. I just saw it in my account when I checked. As mentioned earlier, the crew - both flight attendants and pilots were fantastic throughout this whole ordeal. So kudos to Skywest. However, all of the other United departments really bumbled through this whole situation in my opinion. There really is no reason why I should have arrived at the airport without a reservation the next morning, even after reconfirming with the phone agent the night before. While I appreciate the preemptive service recovery, United really needs to address their in the moment customer service - as it is adding a lot of unneeded stress to other factors which are outside their control.

I think the compensation was generally fair - as I to be honest wondered if we would be given a hotel at all, since it all was really outside their control - other than the way it was handled contributing to the time out situation (bumbling through the operational decisions).
Kmxu and samosa like this.

Last edited by syoung123; Dec 29, 2017 at 9:50 pm
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Last flight of '17 for me, SFO-LHR, again broken wifi on the brand new 777-300 and 90 minute late.

Nada. United got tired of sending me vouchers for broken wifi . Customer Care wrote to me that they had already received the exact same emails from me earlier this year... well maybe that's because they don't fix the same issue. Has anyone else encountered pushback on that?

I'm pretty upset because I had planned to work the entire flight, and couldn't even get to the payment page for wifi.

In fact, in the email Customer Care sent, they said I should ask the flight attendants for compensation for broken wifi next time. I had asked them to reset the wifi twice, but I thought they don't give goodwill vouchers unless it's a delay or broken seat??
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zeer0
Last flight of '17 for me, SFO-LHR, again broken wifi on the brand new 777-300 and 90 minute late.

Nada. United got tired of sending me vouchers for broken wifi . Customer Care wrote to me that they had already received the exact same emails from me earlier this year... well maybe that's because they don't fix the same issue. Has anyone else encountered pushback on that?

I'm pretty upset because I had planned to work the entire flight, and couldn't even get to the payment page for wifi.

In fact, in the email Customer Care sent, they said I should ask the flight attendants for compensation for broken wifi next time. I had asked them to reset the wifi twice, but I thought they don't give goodwill vouchers unless it's a delay or broken seat??
I've stopped writing in about broken Wifi, it seems to not work far more than it works and I've stopped even trying to log on.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Time to close and archive these 2017 posts,

The active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...on-thread.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.