Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: Southwest ALP, United 2MM Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Yes, that is too long of a delay I would definitely write the in.. good luck and tell us how it worked out..
Nice email from 1Kvoice rep, $350 ETC was offered.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
FRA to IAH got delayed for over 3 hours, plane then had to divert to EWR because of pilots working hours. Immigration in EWR instead, then continuing flight to IAH. Arrived at 3:30AM in IAH thus missing connection in IAH. Had to stay overnight in IAH. Travel continued at 3PM, arrival at final destination airport at 11PM (total over 14 hours delay).

Plus:
- inflight internet not working
- 2 broken bags
- baggage claim and re-check at both EWR and IAH (this pissed me off especially since I had 3 checked bags 70lb each and without the delay the bags would have been checked through all the way to the final destination)

Besides claiming EU261, I was offered $500 ETC or 25k miles but I feel like that is too low.

Last edited by schlang; Nov 10, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by schlang
FRA to IAH got delayed for over 3 hours, plane then had to divert to EWR because of pilots working hours. Immigration in EWR instead, then continuing flight to IAH. Arrived at 3:30AM in IAH thus missing connection in IAH. Had to stay overnight in IAH. Travel continued at 3PM, arrival at final destination airport at 11PM (total over 14 hours delay).

Plus:
- inflight internet not working
- 2 broken bags
- baggage claim and re-check at both EWR and IAH (this pissed me off especially since I had 3 checked bags 70lb each and without the delay the bags would have been checked through all the way to the final destination)

Besides claiming EU261, I was offered $500 ETC or 25k miles but I feel like that is too low.
My questions are:

(1) What was the cause of the initial 3-hour delay? Weather or something else?

(2) Did they pay for your hotel in IAH?

EUR 600 + USD 500 = $1200 compensation for a 14-hour delay? Seems reasonable.

The baggage re-check thing is annoying but not necessarily compensable imo. They probably didn't have a choice in EWR because of customs...not sure why you had to claim them in IAH if they were tagged to your final.

Are you sure your broken bag complaint didn't get buried in your delay complaint? Did they acknowledge that they broke your bags or do they think they didn't?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
Regarding
(1): they had to do repairs on the engine
(2): no, but I will claim the costs

Regarding the broken bags, they probably overread it. Just like the broken internet.

Regarding baggage claim, they told me that EWR can't check it through to my final destination, for whatever reason, so I had to claim them again in IAH.

Regarding EU261: this already kicks in because of the >3 hours delay in FRA, so this does not count towards United's compensation for the whole trip (I would have gotten it in any case, even if we had flown straight to IAH without further incidents)
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:19 am

tldr: make sure you watch what buttons the press on the app when choosing compensation, because it can make a huge difference (for me, $150->$400 ETC)

redeye on a 772 SFO-ORD last night. sitting in first, with lie-flat seats, seat won't recline. FA comes and tries to get it down, apologizes, says he'll get me compensation. Sends another FA back. After she struggles with her phone for a few minutes (while I'd like to be sleeping), finally gets the app up. This is where it gets bad.

There are buttons for different problems. One says:

Lie-flat seat recline inop (possibly with another word or two)

and the other says:

Seat recline inop/non-
lie-flat

spread out over two lines like that. She clicks the second button, and between "light", "moderate", and "severe", takes the default option, moderate. That suggests a $150 ETC (or some number of miles). That amount seemed obviously ridiculous.

So I asked her to scroll up, because I thought she clicked the wrong button. She grumbled, claimed she pressed the right one ("see, it says lie-flat." "no, that say non-lie-flat"), but eventually gave in and pressed the first of the two. She then left it on moderate ($250 ETC), and I said "wouldn't you call a seat failing to turn into a bed on a redeye a severe version of this problem?" She sighed, said fine, and pressed severe. At that point it became a $400 ETC, which I was happy with.

So overall everything here I think worked out ok (and honestly the first of the two FAs seemed great and genuinely understanding that United was failing to give me the main thing I had paid for), but it didn't feel great to have to be pushy to get what it seems like United probably wanted to give at the corporate level.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 727 diverted to DEN

About an hour and a half after UA 727's delayed departure from IAD, they announced a diversion because of a fuel leak in the left engine. The crew were professional throughout in wrapping up the cabin service, while the pilot explained the situation clearly and calmly. We had fire engines to greet us on one side of the runway--that has to be a first for me--and we did have to wait while somebody inspected the suspect engine. (I was in 21F, so I missed all the excitement.) I'm told they're prepping a new airplane, since this 757--having already started its day leaving IAD an hour late due to maintenance--clearly needs some quality time in the shop.

To pivot to the most FlyerTalk-ish angle of the story: What kind of compensation would be due here?

Last edited by DCA writer; Nov 15, 2017 at 6:12 pm Reason: Added the flight number so nobody thinks UA dusted off a 727 this morning.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Check United Appreciation website.

The compensation should have been loaded.

Otherwise, not more than $300 ETC.

BTW - the title is misleading.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I know a bit different, but I got $150 when I complained about a diverted YYZ-ORD flight that was due to weather/ATC. we needed up being about 2 hours late, and I only made my connection because it was also late (by 45 mins). This was for 3 of us - each of us wrote in, but they replied combined just to me - 2 golds and one no-status.

I only wrote in because I believe the diversion was completely avoidable - weather on the route to ORD was known before takeoff - My belief is still that ops/captain screwed up by not taking on extra fuel - the storms on the straight line path we’re definitely there before take off.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by garykung
BTW - the title is misleading.
Hadn't really thought about that possible reading! To be clear: No, United did not press a 727 into service this morning--that would never have the range to fly SFO-IAD with a full load, right? It is a cute flight number, though.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Hadn't really thought about that possible reading! To be clear: No, United did not press a 727 into service this morning--that would never have the range to fly SFO-IAD with a full load, right? It is a cute flight number, though.
It is misleading because you seek information for compensation, rather than discussing the diversion.

The flight number was okay.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:20 am

Photos of fuel leak

A friend had a window seat on the left and so got an excellent view of the fuel leak on UA 727. From the pictures he took, it did not look good. That does explain why I didn't hear the thrust reversers after we touched down.

After we got off the plane at DEN, the first crew timed out and they had to get a new plane as well. That 738 departed after 8 p.m. local, getting me back to IAD a little after 1 a.m. It will be interesting trying to function tomorrow...

(For the record, my initial comment about compensation was a probably-lame attempt to add some levity to an edgy situation. But having broached that subject, I'll note that UA offered 20,000 miles or a $400 ETC.)

Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:05 am

any compensation for downgrade award ticket due to non operational flight

I have a biz class award travel from Africa to USA. Originally 2 connecting flight on biz class. However, when I checked my flight information yesterday, I found that the first leg from KGL to BRU has been deleted. United said that the flight is not operating anymore and asked if I would downgrade (10.5 hour duration- 8 1/2 hour flight) to economy on a different flight. There is NO other biz class award for the entire length from Africa to LAX on my travel date. I was told I would receive a good compensation and to email customer care service.

First of, what kind of compensation do you think I would receive?

Also, what happens if I just cancel the whole itinerary because United could not find me a replacement except for a flight 7 days later? I know there shouldn't be a penalty fee and the 80k miles and taxes will be refunded. But would I receive compensation as well since I canceled due to a downgrade from biz to economy on one flight due to the flight not operating anymore?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are entitled to a refund of the fare difference, e.g. some miles. But, I am surprised that UA told you that you would receive compensation. You are not on a UA-operated flight from KGL-BRU and UA certainly did not cancel whatever flight that was.

Is there J space, even if not in an award bucket on any combination of flights you can fine on *A? If there is, UA can force J availability on its own flights and it can request that other *A carriers open space on their flights. The latter is far from guaranteed, but you should do the research to determine if there are other routings where that might do and then call UA with the specific ask that UA start the process. You do not say when your travel occurs, but the process of checking with other carriers can take several days.

If UA really is going to provide compensation, I would get that nailed down. But, as noted, I suspect that the agent had no authority to make the statement or simply does not appreciate that UA won't do anything. Note that if your flight is within 14 days and the carrier which cancelled is an EU carrier, you may be due EUR 600 from that carrier under EC 261/2004. But, need a lot more details before going down that path,
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:20 am

What about getting them to you on EBB-BRU and you paying for your own flight KGL-EBB non stop on rwanda air
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:22 am

This is for February 14th. I only noticed it was cancelled because I checked the itinerary. My boyfriend used his miles to pay for it. He said he never received a call from UA nor received an email on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.