Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Thank you. I will try that. I'm glad I asked and sorry that I missed the larger thread.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: United MP Premier Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
EWR-SFO 1885 none working PDE and wifi. Upon arrival $100 or 5000 miles offered with email. Low offer for 6 hour flight but thats the standard I believe
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:59 am

Angry United cancelled our honeymoon and didn't tell us

Fiancee and I are going through our own United nightmare right now.

They cancelled our honeymoon flights to South Africa and did not tell us!

We only found out two weeks after they cancelled our flights because our credit card statement on the card used to buy the tickets came in much lower than expected. Logged in and saw the charges for the flights were refunded two days after booking.

We had called two days after booking to ask if it was POSSIBLE to refund the flights as we were considering another itinerary. The rep we spoke with said he did not think it was possible since we were beyond the 24 hour refund period. He decided to ask a supervisor if it was possible though, and put us on hold. After being on hold for a long time we decided to just keep the flights we had and hung up before being connected with a supervisor. We never heard anything back. No email, no text, no call back, nothing to tell us that someone at United actually decided to go ahead and cancel the flights when we merely wanted to know if it was still an option. Have the correct contact info on the United account, nothing in spam folder either.

Two weeks later we find out that the flights were cancelled when checking our credit card statement. Tickets had gone up $500 each. We spend forever on the phone with them trying to get them to rebook these for us because it was their mistake. The supervisor we spoke with refuses to do so, and tells us the best we can do is rebook ourselves at the new, much higher price and write to Customer Care. We described the situation in detail in our message to customer care and are awaiting their response.

Going to be very upset if they just throw us $100 ETC or miles. If that happens I wonder what recourse we have?

Last edited by ArmchairAthlete; Aug 17, 2017 at 1:28 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ArmchairAthlete

We only found out two weeks after they cancelled our flights because our credit card statement on the card used to buy the tickets came in much lower than expected. Logged in and saw the charges for the flights were refunded two days after booking.

We had called two days after booking to ask if it was POSSIBLE to refund the flights as we were considering another itinerary. The low level rep said he did not think it was possible since we were beyond the 24 hour refund period. He decided to ask a supervisor if it was possible though, and put us on hold. After being on hold for a long time we decided to just keep the flights we had and hung up. We never heard anything back. No email, no text, no call back, nothing to tell us that the rep actually decided to go ahead and cancel the flights when we merely wanted to know if it was still an option. Have the correct contact info on the united account, nothing in spam folder either.

Two weeks later we find out this happened. Tickets had gone up $500 each. We spend forever on the phone with them trying to get them to rebook these for us because it was their mistake. They refuse to do so, and tell us the best we can do is rebook ourselves at the new, much higher price and write to Customer Care. We described the situation in detail in our message to customer care and are awaiting their response.

Going to be very upset if they just throw us $100 ETC or miles. If that happens I wonder what recourse we have?
This is going to be a tough one. This is why I never terminate a conversation with an agent until a final resolution is reached. I also always go back to look at my reservation to confirm that the correct action was actually taken. Good luck and let us know the outcome. BTW.......welcome to FT.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

We had called two days after booking to ask if it was POSSIBLE to refund the flights as we were considering another itinerary. The low level rep said he did not think it was possible since we were beyond the 24 hour refund period. He decided to ask a supervisor if it was possible though, and put us on hold. After being on hold for a long time we decided to just keep the flights we had and hung up. We never heard anything back. No email, no text, no call back, nothing to tell us that the rep actually decided to go ahead and cancel the flights when we merely wanted to know if it was still an option. Have the correct contact info on the united account, nothing in spam folder either.

Two weeks later we find out this happened. Tickets had gone up $500 each. We spend forever on the phone with them trying to get them to rebook these for us because it was their mistake. They refuse to do so, and tell us the best we can do is rebook ourselves at the new, much higher price and write to Customer Care. We described the situation in detail in our message to customer care and are awaiting their response.

Welcome to FT! So sorry to hear. Sounds like the agent was actually trying to help you. I'm a little unclear, did you actually hang up on the agent when you were placed on hold and never spoke with them again? Why do you refer to the agent as low level as well (seems like it was not in their authority and inquired to a level higher to assist). If that's the case, I find them to proactive in assisting the passenger. I hope things work out, and let us know how they do. And.. Congratulations on your forthcoming Nuptials.. Safe Travels
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Welcome to FT! So sorry to hear. Sounds like the agent was actually trying to help you. I'm a little unclear, did you actually hang up on the agent when you were placed on hold and never spoke with them again? Why do you refer to the agent as low level as well (seems like it was not in their authority and inquired to a level higher to assist). If that's the case, I find them to proactive in assisting the passenger. I hope things work out, and let us know how they do. And.. Congratulations on your forthcoming Nuptials.. Safe Travels

We hung up after being on hold for a long time but before finally being connected to a supervisor.

I only mean low level as in not a supervisor, it was our initial contact before trying to elevate anything up the chain had he not had the authority to help us.

They were trying to help us answer the question indeed, the fatal mistake was not confirming with us that they actually cancelled the flights. I am very shocked that their system does not generate a simple email telling you the flights were cancelled as I've seen from any other airline I cancelled a flight with. That would have prevented this disaster.

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

EDIT: Also, I will definitely be taking the advice of logging in to check the status of flights after requesting to make any change (maybe even if I do get a confirmation next time).

Last edited by ArmchairAthlete; Aug 17, 2017 at 1:24 pm Reason: details
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
We hung up after being on hold for a long time but before finally being connected to a supervisor.

I only mean low level as in not a supervisor, it was our initial contact before trying to elevate anything up the chain had he not had the authority to help us.

They were trying to help us answer the question indeed, the fatal mistake was not confirming with us that they actually cancelled the flights. I am very shocked that their system does not generate a simple email telling you the flights were cancelled as I've seen from any other airline I cancelled a flight with. That would have prevented this disaster.

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

EDIT: Also, I will definitely be taking the advice of logging in to check the status of flights after requesting to make any change (maybe even if I do get a confirmation next time).
Some of us check our confirmed reservations, at least weekly to make sure they haven't been changed or cancelled with notification. This happens a lot more than you might think, especially when one books months ahead.

I am very careful about the language I use with phone agents. Saying the words "cancel" or "refund" is like playing with dynamite. Sometimes the qualifiers about "might" get lost in translation. You lit the fuse, and then hung up before anybody was told to put it out.

Good luck in putting the pieces back together.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:18 am

How do you recommend that I handle this? I made it to Kuala Lumpur. My bag did not.

SFO-> HKG in business on United.
HKG-> SIN in first on United.
SIN-> KUL in business on Silk Airways (via United).

I filled out all the paperwork for a delayed bag, and a Silk Airways representative told me that it should be on the next flight to KUL.

No word after several hours, so I called United, who told me that the bag was still in San Francisco!!!

United claims that Silk Airways should handle this because they were the last leg of the trip. Silk Airways did give me $50, but also said that it was not their fault that United never put the bag on the plane in San Francisco.

I hit plat on the way over here. I will be 1K after a flight on August 29th.

Obviously I have clothes that I need for work in that bag, and at a minimum now, it will be 2 (and more than likely 3) days before I see that bag.

The HKG to SIN connection was a little over an hour, so I could understand if the bag did not make that connection, but when I found out that the bag was still sitting in SFO, I was flabbergasted.

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
$175 for intemittant PDE?!

OGG-SFO yesterday afternoon, 772's PDE system wasn't working continuously. FA announced just before landing she requested and received compensation for passengers. Actually got e-mail from UA when I powered up phone while taxiing at SFO. Clicked on link this morning and filled in requisite info. This 1K w/ own entertainment on call got a $175 ETC.

OT- sat in 23D after ending up #1 on upgrade list. Had well-behaved 5 y.o sitting next to me, so space wasn't issue. Had a cheeseburger, mule, and a smooth flight. I think size of person sitting next to you (and your size) is almost the sole determinant on how a coach ride goes on that plane. The device holder is brilliant and the outlet location pairs nicely.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrinkingCoffee
United claims that Silk Airways should handle this because they were the last leg of the trip. Silk Airways did give me $50, but also said that it was not their fault that United never put the bag on the plane in San Francisco.
It's not their fault, but it is their responsibility. Your claim is with MI (Silk). Per IATA convention, the delivering carrier is responsible for baggage issues -- end of story.

Continue to work with MI on this. They should be willing to reimburse for clothing, etc. They'll presumably bill it back to UA behind the scenes, but that's not your concern.

After you receive your luggage, you can then follow up with UA and request a customer service gesture for the inconvenience, and they may throw some miles or an ETC your way for goodwill.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Does UA give compensation for DirectTV being inop? Specifically, I was in First on UA45 IAH-DCA. I did send in through Premier Voice, but got this canned response back.

I'm sorry to read your DIRECTV service was not working during your
recent flight with us.

I can only imagine your disappointment when you attempted to use DIRECTV
and were unable to use this service. I will be able to research your
inquiry if you can please provide me with the first six and the last
four digits of the credit card used, the name as it appears on the
credit card and verify the flight date/flight you could not use DIRECTV.
Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

We appreciate your business and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

United DirecTV Refunds Team
I don't think they realized I was in First & the Direct TV service would have been provided free of charge as a result. If it matters, I was CPU'd to first.

Just curious what others experiences have been with DirectTV related comp. Forgot to add the DirectTV was out for the entire plane.

Last edited by FlyngSvyr; Aug 18, 2017 at 10:06 am
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:07 pm

UA is off the hook on this one. You will need to deal with silk air. Malaysia is in the montreal convention (article 19), so any clothes you need in the meantime will be reimbursed by silk air, by law (up to abour $1500usd iirc). I have no personal experience with silk air so it may not be as easy as it is in the states or europe. Good luck! UA may also issue a voucher in addition to this, but they don't have to by law.

How do you recommend that I handle this? I made it to Kuala Lumpur. My bag did not.

I filled out all the paperwork for a delayed bag, and a Silk Airways representative told me that it should be on the next flight to KUL.

No word after several hours, so I called United, who told me that the bag was still in San Francisco!!!

I hit plat on the way over here. I will be 1K after a flight on August 29th.

Obviously I have clothes that I need for work in that bag, and at a minimum now, it will be 2 (and more than likely 3) days before I see that bag.

The HKG to SIN connection was a little over an hour, so I could understand if the bag did not make that connection, but when I found out that the bag was still sitting in SFO, I was flabbergasted.

Thank you in advance.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:28 pm

Got a $125 ETC for delayed flight. I Emailed CS that I'd rather have miles. Reply came back and said 5,000 miles would be deposited in my account. I thought it was 2 cpm or 6,250 miles? Aargh, the 6K miles figure would have topped me off at 60K for a F class LH award, so I'm short about 1K now. Any suggestions? Email back CS? Or has the cpm changed? Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

The prior advice is 100% correct. I'll just add that if your ticket was purchased with a card that provides baggage loss/delay coverage, you may be entitled to reimbursement from that source as well. Most of the Chase and some of the AMEX cards provide this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
The prior advice is 100% correct. I'll just add that if your ticket was purchased with a card that provides baggage loss/delay coverage, you may be entitled to reimbursement from that source as well. Most of the Chase and some of the AMEX cards provide this.
Thank you everyone for your responses. Silk Airways has been very nice, but insistent that United was the carrier that failed to put the bag on a plane at the origination. United has been very helpful with their tracking, and I am grateful for that. I do have a Chase Club card, and I spoke with them yesterday. They were also very nice, and I will have to submit my receipts to them when I return home.

I will communicate if I hear from United regarding compensation. I did fill out a customer report with them. As I mentioned previously, I would have been very understanding if the bag missed a connection, but to never leave the original airport, even after I made it to KUL, is just inexcusable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.