Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by moops380
You should also write UA again only about the delay (as the bags are not on them at this point) and perhaps request a $250+ tc (this would be the minimum I would expect).
I did so, writing to UA only about the delays and was offered $200 ETC.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: united airlines marriott southwest airlines
Update to thread #361 and #368 (original offer was $75 or 3,750 miles)
Summary, missed connection from IAD to ZRH due to mechanical issues in IAH flight that was delayed 4.5 hours.
I used the link provided in thread #372 . I received a call from United Customer support. They will mail me a $200 check for hotel stay. And they will give me and DH each a $300 travel certificate. Better than the original offer, so I guess it is fair for a 24 hour delay.

Also, we were on Business class Polaris. Does that make a difference in how United determines what amount to compensate?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 2, 2017 at 3:11 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally delays under 4 hours and definitely 3 hours and under (on arrival to destination) do not get automatic compensation.

That said as Polaris First, UA may be more responsive but you will probably have to reach out yourself to UA / Customer Care.
Got a reply from UA CS today (13 days later) and said they will send E Cert. Don't know the value yet.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by loopflyer
Got a reply from UA CS today (13 days later) and said they will send E Cert. Don't know the value yet.
Got Ecert $125. No status, booked in F international on award ticket, 3 hour delay. Any advice on comp., i.e. should I seek more? I want to boost my MP acct. and if the Wiki is correct that should be worth 6,750 miles. I wanted at least 7,500 to top over for a F Int'l ticket I'm eyeing. Finally, how do you go about getting the ETC converted into miles? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by loopflyer; Aug 3, 2017 at 4:46 pm Reason: add info.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by loopflyer
Got Ecert $125. No status, booked in F international on award ticket, 3 hour delay. Any advice on comp., i.e. should I seek more? I want to boost my MP acct. and if the Wiki is correct that should be worth 6,750 miles. I wanted at least 7,500 to top over for a F Int'l ticket I'm eyeing. Finally, how do you go about getting the ETC converted into miles? Thank you in advance.
A $125 ETC would be worth 6250 miles, if you got miles instead (125*50 = 6250). I believe you can just email UA CS and request miles rather than the ETC, but I'm not sure what the success rate is for that.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K *G; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
I booked a revenue F ticket (P class) on the Aug. 5 UA735 which is the domestic 788 leg that repositions the ex-NRT aircraft to SFO. It canceled after about 3-4 hours due to a fuel leak. A lovely DENCS agent protected me on UA257 which is a domestic 777 config and I was assigned 18E, an E+ seat in the otherwise bone-crushing 3-4-3 Y cabin. I also got a $20 food voucher for being in F (Y got $10).

Today I was offered 3,750 miles of a $75 ETC. The contract of carriage says I'm entitled a refund of the fare difference as well because of the downgrade, but the ticket was rather inexpensive ($255). Is this worth calling about?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by eklapper
I booked a revenue F ticket (P class) on the Aug. 5 UA735 which is the domestic 788 leg that repositions the ex-NRT aircraft to SFO. It canceled after about 3-4 hours due to a fuel leak. A lovely DENCS agent protected me on UA257 which is a domestic 777 config and I was assigned 18E, an E+ seat in the otherwise bone-crushing 3-4-3 Y cabin. I also got a $20 food voucher for being in F (Y got $10).

Today I was offered 3,750 miles of a $75 ETC. The contract of carriage says I'm entitled a refund of the fare difference as well because of the downgrade, but the ticket was rather inexpensive ($255). Is this worth calling about?
I would write in and request the refund and perhaps mention that the $75/mileage offer is rather light in terms of your involvement and follow up with this issue.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by eklapper
If your original itinerary was DEN-SFO, I would write in and ask for the $129 difference in fare in addition to the customer service gesture.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:57 pm
formerly fkhatibloo

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select
Thurs 8/3, I was booked on UA558 (BOS-SFO) scheduled to depart at 8:30pm. Started getting delay notifications around 2pm local time, and by 5pm, flight was delayed 4+ hours.

At about 5:45, they rebooked me on an Alaska flight departing 7:10pm (over an hour before my orig departure!) which, A+ for proactivity, but FAIL for context -- Boston traffic at that time is atrocious and there's no way I could have made that flight.

Called 1K, and they wouldn't rebook me on my orig outbound (I imagine they thought they might have to cancel entirely at that point). I agreed to ditch my C seat, and was rebooked on the 8am the next morning (the 6:30am was already well oversold). Agent told me to get a room, and send in the receipt.

I booked a room at the Courtyard near Logan, prepay rate, and got some grub. At about 10:30, I noticed the flight was still scheduled to depart at 12:30am; I just wanted to be home, so I called 1K again. They rebooked me on the orig flight, pulled an RPU, and got me my seat again.

No mention in-flight of customer appreciation, and no email so far. On a whim, before emailing 1KVoice, I checked the site and lo! 5000 miles or $200 on offer. That seems reasonable assuming United would cover my hotel room, but I suspect they're going to deny that claim since they got me on the original flight. And, I suspect I have no shot at getting that RPU back, despite the fact that they upgraded a few elites at the gate gratis due to the delay (a few of us were chatting in line).
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975
At about 5:45, they rebooked me on an Alaska flight departing 7:10pm (over an hour before my orig departure!) which, A+ for proactivity, but FAIL for context -- Boston traffic at that time is atrocious and there's no way I could have made that flight.

Called 1K, and they wouldn't rebook me on my orig outbound (I imagine they thought they might have to cancel entirely at that point).
They actually deleted your existing reservation without confirming the replacement with you? That's absolutely batty. I've had a proactive re-route like this before, but they added it on as a protection flight. I couldn't make it to the airport that early; when I didn't, the replacement flights dropped off of the itinerary and the original flights were preserved.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: UA Silver
I was booked CMH-EWR-DUB on an award in J. CMH-EWR got canceled out of nowhere on the way to the airport, called and told I was rebooked in Y and was met with shock that this wasn't acceptable. Ended up searching on my own and having to painfully get rebooked through LHR, adding about 7 hours to my travel time. I got 7500 miles for this, wasn't offered a choice of a travel cert.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:31 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
united gold

had this issue: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-no-irrop.html

70 min bag delay
told bag agent i can't wait any longer
walked away
ua would not deliver
had to pick up bags today

complained night of (monday 6 aug) in a 150 word, brief, non-fwp manner.

got email today, apology and $150 etc.

i thought i scored huge when i got a $175 etc (plus $250 cash for workout and winter clothing, but the etc came before the clothing claim) for a four (4) day baggage delay, at a domestic mainline station, during christmas, as a platinum. but that was in 2016 before the new-NEW united

but either way this is FAR more than what air canada would offer. so i'm staying with ua. and i look forward to plenty more service failures. ^^
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Questions about compensation options

I am not one of those who seeks compensation for every minor inconvenience. However, earlier this year I had a TATL with an inoperable IFE in Business Class. The FA gave me a form to report it and I received an ETC for $175 as compensation. All seemed generous until I came to use it. It seems that the ETC can only be used on a 100% UA itinerary, which is a problem for me as I live in Canada. Since UA pulled out of my home airport a few years ago I always connect to them after a first segment in AC. I could book a flight from YYC directly on UA but then AC charges more for the connecting flight than I save with the ETC.

My question is whether or not UA ever offers anything other than an ETC ( such as MP points) and if so how can I make this evident to the airline before the ETC is issued.? Otherwise it seems that any compensation offered in the future is effectively worthless. Any suggestions are appreciated or am I just SOL in this regard?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Oma-ewr direct canceled. Rebooked on morning flt. Called premier desk and rebooked on AA via ord. AA flt was delayed resulting in a 15 min mad dash between planes. Made it but had a middle seat vs my direct in F (cpu). Complained about it a got $100. Complained a bit more and got another $50. AA flts posted as Y class to my AS acct neting me 2700 miles as well.

Guess thats ok with me, but now i've got 2 certs. Really wish u could combine them online. I heard somewhere agents can do it by phone now though...

Funny how this all gets accounted for. Amex pays aeroplan, who pays united, who pays American, who pays Alaska. Lol
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Fizzer
.... My question is whether or not UA ever offers anything other than an ETC ( such as MP points) and if so how can I make this evident to the airline before the ETC is issued.? ....
You can write / email and request replacing an ETC with MP miles -- citing your location as a reason.

$175 will likely translate to 8,750 miles ( a 2 cpm conversion)

Originally Posted by HGHUA
... Guess thats ok with me, but now i've got 2 certs. Really wish u could combine them online. I heard somewhere agents can do it by phone now though...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-together.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2017 at 11:52 am Reason: self-merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.