Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Wife had a 5 hr delay due to MX on domestic flight yesterday. Got appreciation email. As her travel concierge I processed it for her. She was offered either $75 travel credit or 3750 points as a Gold. I picked the points and the confirmation page and email then told me that 5000 (!) miles would be deposited. And yes, she did get 5k miles.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
They didn't cater F meals at all or didn't cater "enough" F meals? Wow either way. I've heard of them under-catering F but never forgetting the meals altogether.

In fact, the FA is supposed to check the carts for the meals I believe. At least I've always seen them do it.

-RM
Happened to me earlier this year on a RDU-IAH E75. They didn't cater the flight the night before in IAH so we didn't get a meal. No announcement at RDU either, just one Stroopwafel per passenger on what ended up being a nearly 3 hour flight.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 2 Million Miler
Change in aircraft from 3 class to 2

We booked 1st class on a 3 class plane, paying a premium above typical 1st class. United switched to a 2 class plane, with the obvious reduction in seating comfort. I have been unable to get any type of refund.

I won't even get into the fact the substitute plane had a mechanical, so was replaced by another 2 class plane, and the delay caused us to miss connection at ORD and an overnight stay.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oldretiredguy
We booked 1st class on a 3 class plane, paying a premium above typical 1st class. United switched to a 2 class plane, with the obvious reduction in seating comfort. I have been unable to get any type of refund. ...
Depends on the route and whether there was a fare difference.

If there was, you are owed a fare differential (which again based on the route may or may not be that much). If this was an international route or a route with a definite fare differential, file for a refund at UA's Refund site

... I won't even get into the fact the substitute plane had a mechanical, so was replaced by another 2 class plane, and the delay caused us to miss connection at ORD and an overnight stay.
UA should have covered the lodging and there should have been a offer of a future flight credit or miles.

If you did not receive such an offer, contact UA's Customer Care
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:28 pm

On UA167 LIS - IAD. Boarded plane, delayed approx 1 hour for maintenance. Engine test failure after maintenance "fix". Afterwards we were asked to deboard. Gate offered 5k vouchers for ~35 people to reduce weight of plane. Had something to do with the engine and takeoff. It sounded like the pilot had to do more manual work than normal. GF and I both snagged a voucher. Plane left after about 2.5 hour delay.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Sdavis890
On UA167 LIS - IAD. Boarded plane, delayed approx 1 hour for maintenance. Engine test failure after maintenance "fix". Afterwards we were asked to deboard. Gate offered 5k vouchers for ~35 people to reduce weight of plane. Had something to do with the engine and takeoff. It sounded like the pilot had to do more manual work than normal. GF and I both snagged a voucher. Plane left after about 2.5 hour delay.
I assume you were offered 5k miles and rebooking, not dollars and rebooking, correct?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I assume you were offered 5k miles and rebooking, not dollars and rebooking, correct?
5,000 USD actually.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
5,000 USD actually.
Now that is a generous offer!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
5,000 USD actually.
Originally Posted by transportprof
Now that is a generous offer!
Holy crap. To 35 pax? To get off an aircraft with engine trouble?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
5,000 USD actually.
That's fantastic! What was your rebooking?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes quite a bit of money. The original maintenance fix did not pass engine startup test at the gate so they deboarded. Hard to hear amongst the chaos once we deboarded at the gate but it essentially came down to weight and balance issues since the pilot would be doing more things "manually" to fly the plane. I probably would have taken the next flight for free at that point.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by seanp7
That's fantastic! What was your rebooking?
LIS-MUC-CLT since CLT is my true final destination. Had to call united priority desk since the airport originally rebooked me LIS-EWR-CLT getting in at 1205 AM Monday which was not preferable. Much prefer starting earlier to get in at 430 PM Sunday.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2017 at 5:32 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I probably would have taken the next flight for free at that point.
Just what I was thinking.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: All the programs!
5,000 USD actually.
You mean UA didn't try to just offer $250?
Great offer, I'd take it.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
5,000 USD actually.
Wow - That must be a record!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
We booked 1st class on a 3 class plane, paying a premium above typical 1st class. United switched to a 2 class plane, with the obvious reduction in seating comfort. I have been unable to get any type of refund.

I won't even get into the fact the substitute plane had a mechanical, so was replaced by another 2 class plane, and the delay caused us to miss connection at ORD and an overnight stay.
What route and what was the decision making process when you purchased the ticket? If domestic, unfortunately it's difficult to quantify the downgrade here, but if you took a screenshot at booking you could ask for the fare difference, and/or a CS gesture of miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.