United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 14, 18, 9:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 1, 17, 10:26 pm

Programs: united airlines marriott southwest airlines
Missed Intl connection due to maintenance

My flight UA 44 IAH to IAD Scheduled to depart at 12 noon left at 4:30. So we missed our flight from IAD to ZRH.
It was a mess at the airport. Flight attendant said anyone who wanted to try and check on connections would need to get off the plane with all your carry ones. This was about 1:30. So I got off. Lines were long at the gate (1 agent) and at Customer service (two agents working. I got a text that departure was now 2 pm.
So we left customer service and rushed back to the gate. Everyone had been deplaned. No one was allowed to board. So I called 1 800 because now the GA line was huge. Waited 15 minutes on hold and was told there was a flight with Lufthansa but she could not book me on a that Lufthansa flight. Would need to do that at Customer Service. She could only book me on a UA fight from IAD to ZRH the next day. I declined and decided to hang up and speak to someone else.
Get text that UA 44 now delayed another hour to 3. So now I worry that I may not even get out of Houston. There is absolutely no communication with us except texts. So I call 1 800 again. Wait time is now 15-20 minutes.
Long story short it is too late to book flight for today to ZRH so she book us on flight the following day.
UA 44 departs at 4:30. We got 2 $10 food credits. We book a hotel in IAD at the Marriott. Clerk at Marriott asks if I got a voucher. We didn't. The flight attendants had apologized for the delay and said to contact customer service for an appreciation certificate.
No mention was made about vouchers for hotel.
So What is an appropriate $ compensation for delay. We missed 1 full day in ZRH. Luckily our tour starts Monday but we won't have the extra day to adjust to time change.
Thanks for any guidance.
Old Jul 1, 17, 10:58 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
They contractually owe you for the hotel. So make sure that amount is clearly listed as part of your request.

For the delay, they do not "owe" you anything. But most airlines provide something (miles or travel certs) if a customer complains.

This is really quasi bargining, so I prefer to let them make the first move. Some complaint like:

"My international flight xxx was delayed for mechanical reason causing me to overnight at the connection and arrive a day late. I would like:

. Payment for the hotel bill of $xx

. Compensation for the inconvenience of the one day late arrival.

Thank you"

Extraneous details would just add clutter.
Old Jul 1, 17, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Send in your hotel bill to CS, they'll generally give you a voucher for similar value.
Old Jul 2, 17, 3:54 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Send in your hotel bill to CS, they'll generally give you a voucher for similar value.
The OP should be getting a check in the mail for the actual cost of the hotel, not a voucher.

A voucher should be issued for their 'troubles' over and above the hotel room.

-RM
Old Jul 2, 17, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.55 MM
UA 82, EWR-DEL was cancelled July 1.

They offered this 1K 25,000 miles or a $500 e-cert.

I took neither, since I was going to misconnect and flew via FRA. I clicked through the customer compensation to see what they would offer. Interesting that they still thought I was on the cancelled flight at the time they sent the e-mail. I'm sure they'll see it was a mistake eventually.
Old Jul 2, 17, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by big V View Post

I took neither, since I was going to misconnect and flew via FRA. I clicked through the customer compensation to see what they would offer. Interesting that they still thought I was on the cancelled flight at the time they sent the e-mail. I'm sure they'll see it was a mistake eventually.
I think your entitled to the compensation offer, even though you flew through FRA as the offer is for the mishap of your orginal flight, not the one you rebooked..
Old Jul 2, 17, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by big V View Post

Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
I think your entitled to the compensation offer, even though you flew through FRA as the offer is for the mishap of your orginal flight, not the one you rebooked..
absolutely. Take the $500. You still arrived later than scheduled due to the cancellation. No reason to not take it.
Old Jul 2, 17, 11:02 am

Programs: united airlines marriott southwest airlines
Update to UA 44 41/2 hour delay. Received a customer appreciation email, offer of $75 e certificate or $75. I think this is very low sine I get to my destination 24 hours late. What are my options? Thanks for help or suggestions
Old Jul 2, 17, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jm2cc View Post
Update to UA 44 41/2 hour delay. Received a customer appreciation email, offer of $75 e certificate or $75. I think this is very low sine I get to my destination 24 hours late. What are my options? Thanks for help or suggestions
What is your UA MP Status? Compensation varies based on status. I your a general member this is about the norm, if not push back (via return email) and say something politely that the compensation is rather light in your opinion..
Old Jul 2, 17, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.55 MM
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
absolutely. Take the $500. You still arrived later than scheduled due to the cancellation. No reason to not take it.
Thanks for encouraging me to take it. I arrived 4 hours late, so you're absolutely right -- I was entitled to it.

Thanks for setting me straight!
Old Jul 3, 17, 2:26 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; Shangrila Jade; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
Only 1Ks and up have a special email, everyone else needs to use the CS form.
There's a dedicated non-1K Premier CS email address too, and you can email regular Customer Care directly (instead of using a form) at [email protected].
Old Jul 3, 17, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
There's a dedicated non-1K Premier CS email address too, and you can email regular Customer Care directly (instead of using a form) at [email protected].
As a Platinum, I have always had a quick response time when using the form (the form propagates all your essential information, when logged in.. and I "believe" it routes it faster if your Gold or Higher) Just a thought on using the form instead of an email for non 1K's..
Old Jul 5, 17, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
$200 voucher for not having catered F meals on DEN-IAD. Was in paid F, not that that typically makes a huge difference.
Old Jul 7, 17, 3:53 pm

Location: A place where I have just enough status to want more, but can't afford it!
Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Anything is possible -- but waiting will not help.
TLV-EWR (12hour flight), paid new United Polaris Business (B777-300), United Gold. Seat would not lock in place unless it was fully up, so no recline possible. No other business seats available. All Polaris customers got $150 for lack of amenities boarded, I got $300 ETC combined for the amenity and seat issue.
Old Jul 9, 17, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
$200 voucher for not having catered F meals on DEN-IAD. Was in paid F, not that that typically makes a huge difference.
They didn't cater F meals at all or didn't cater "enough" F meals? Wow either way. I've heard of them under-catering F but never forgetting the meals altogether.

In fact, the FA is supposed to check the carts for the meals I believe. At least I've always seen them do it.

-RM

Search this Thread